NVIDIA and LMDE 64bit MATE problems...

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Drake
Level 1
Level 1

NVIDIA and LMDE 64bit MATE problems...

Post by Drake »

I have an Geforce 9600 GSO NVIDIA Video Card installed on my computer, I previously used Ubuntu and had fewer graphic problems but Ubuntu was less snappier than LMDE and I prefer the look and functions of LMDE.

That said, I have spent a week following various forum posts about how to install NVIDIA proprietary drivers to no avail and have lost count of the number of times I have had to re-install LMDE.

I think I am getting close though now to finally installing the drivers as I get the NVIDIA install screen then it terminates, currently I have no graphic drivers installed and messed with the kernel so much, don't ask :lol:

However from the NVIDIA log is this:

Using: nvidia-installer ncurses user interface
-> License accepted.
-> Installing NVIDIA driver version 319.17.
-> Running distribution scripts
executing: '/usr/lib/nvidia/pre-install'...
If you want to use the nvidia-installer please uninstall the Debian packages first. The two methods of installation cannot be used at the same time.

(The installer then terminates)

So, I would appreciate any help in figuring out what I have to do next to sort out NVIDIA installer error :oops:

BTW...has anyone successfully installed NVIDIA proprietary drivers on a computer with the same Video Card as mine, if so how did you do it?

zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Re: NVIDIA and LMDE 64bit MATE problems...

Post by zerozero »

Drake wrote:If you want to use the nvidia-installer please uninstall the Debian packages first. The two methods of installation cannot be used at the same time.
the script is telling you that was a previous method used to install the drivers (following the debian method)
is this a clean (as in clean :P ) install?
what is the output of

Code: Select all

inxi -SGx

[ bliss of ignorance ]

Drake
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Drake »

zerozero wrote: the script is telling you that was a previous method used to install the drivers (following the debian method)
is this a clean (as in clean :P ) install?
what is the output of

Code: Select all

inxi -SGx
Hi zerozero,
I re-installed LMDE again decided to make another fresh start. I have the nvidia-glx driver running the show so far, I think I will leave it at that for now, it's far from ideal but yeah I am getting bored re-installing over this issue, I guess I won't be buying anything from NVIDIA in the future :roll:

Currently my system reports:

System: Kernel 3.2.0-4-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit) Distro LinuxMint 1 debian
Graphics: Card NVIDIA G92 [GeForce 9600 GSO] X.Org 1.12.4 Res: 1024x768@75.0hz
GLX Renderer GeForce 9600 GSO/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version 3.3.0 NVIDIA 304.48 Direct Rendering Yes

zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Post by zerozero »

Drake wrote:it's far from ideal but yeah I am getting bored re-installing over this issue, I guess I won't be buying anything from NVIDIA in the future :roll:
i don't see any problem in that output, do you? the driver is properly installed and opengl is working.

granted is an older version of the nvidia driver but unless you an intensive gamer or have a specific bug with this driver version it's perfect for everyday usage
if you want a more up-to-date driver and an easy way of installing it try http://smxi.org/site/faqs-sgfxi.htm

[ bliss of ignorance ]

Drake
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Drake »

zerozero wrote:i don't see any problem in that output, do you? the driver is properly installed and opengl is working.
No, it's working but...
zerozero wrote:granted is an older version of the nvidia driver but unless you an intensive gamer or have a specific bug with this driver version it's perfect for everyday usage
This is the but. I do have an interest in 3D Virtual World games and ideally would prefer to do this on Linux than on Windows.
zerozero wrote:if you want a more up-to-date driver and an easy way of installing it try http://smxi.org/site/faqs-sgfxi.htm
Thanks zerozero, I will try the above.

Drake
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Drake »

That worked great zerozero, thanks so much for the link :D

For anyone wanting to use proprietary video drivers be prepared to do some reading at:

http://smxi.org/site/faqs-sgfxi.htm

Although to make it easier just do this :lol:

Loggin as normal, open a Terminal, type:

sudo su (then enter root password)

Copy and paste this into the terminal:
cd /usr/local/bin && wget -Nc smxi.org/sgfxi && chmod +x sgfxi && sgfxi

then after you installed and quit that copy and paste this:
cd /usr/local/bin && wget -Nc smxi.org/smxi && chmod +x smxi && smxi

reboot the system

Login then CTRL+ALT+F1
Login as root
Type: sgfxi

When all finished I rebooted, Logged in then CTRL+ALT+F1 again and typed:
smxi

You get a lot of questions becareful what you choose, just read the questions instead of pressing ENTER like a maniac, I chose Current (Recommended Nvidia driver which was 319.17)

That's it done reboot, apparently this should work for ATI video cards too.

zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Post by zerozero »

you're welcome :)
remember that when you get a new kernel update you have to run sgfxi again because using this method you are not building the drivers automagically against the new kernels.

[ bliss of ignorance ]

Drake
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Drake »

zerozero wrote:you're welcome :)
remember that when you get a new kernel update you have to run sgfxi again because using this method you are not building the drivers automagically against the new kernels.
Yes I read that but thanks for reminding me, also apparently sgfxi stores things in /usrsrc/sgfxi-downloads once it has downloaded them.

Really there should be a better way of doing this when Linux is installed, like after installing all other things and before cleaning up and setting grub, it could run a detect video card function and then offer proprietary driver installation, this would save so much aggravation because to be honest the average newbie coming to Linux from Windows is not going to find all this messing about with drivers and terminals pleasant :lol:

vintagepen
Level 4
Level 4

Post by vintagepen »

Drake wrote:
zerozero wrote:you're welcome :)
Yes I read that but thanks for reminding me, also apparently sgfxi stores things in /usrsrc/sgfxi-downloads once it has downloaded them.

Really there should be a better way of doing this when Linux is installed, like after installing all other things and before cleaning up and setting grub, it could run a detect video card function and then offer proprietary driver installation, this would save so much aggravation because to be honest the average newbie coming to Linux from Windows is not going to find all this messing about with drivers and terminals pleasant :lol:
Absolutely I followed this thread up to the bit where you said "install" which I found competely perplexing and then didnt understand the whole rest of this thread. So I still have 173.14.90 on my Asus M70XL, running Mint 12. Still, it did manage to figure out that I needed to install proprietary drivers and install them. But surely there is a better way than this of updating them?

I went into Software Manager where I found a huge number of identical looking drivers to download with no explanations for anything, which left me even more perplexed

zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Post by zerozero »

vintagepen
this topic deals with graphics drivers installation in LMDE, you are using Mint 12; 2 totally different beasts, i wouldn't try to replicate this steps in your install;

furthermore we don't know what graphic card you have; different cards, different procedures.

last, mint 12 is EOL as off end of april; you should start thinking about upgrading to a supported release.

for further support please open a new topic.

[ bliss of ignorance ]

vintagepen
Level 4
Level 4

Post by vintagepen »

zerozero wrote:vintagepen
this topic deals with graphics drivers installation in LMDE, you are using Mint 12; 2 totally different beasts, i wouldn't try to replicate this steps in your install;

furthermore we don't know what graphic card you have; different cards, different procedures.

last, mint 12 is EOL as off end of april; you should start thinking about upgrading to a supported release..
Sorry about that, I did a search and this was the closest thread to what I needed, updating the drivers for a GeForce 9300. I didnt realise that the different flavours were so different that basic installation/update instructions wouldnt apply. And I didnt realise that 12 was EOL yet but it would certainly explain why the formerly active Update Manager seems to have stopped working.

I have been experimenting with different flavours of 13 and 14 on other computers I have but none work as well as 12 (suspend doesnt work, tap to click doesnt work etc) and perhaps most importantly, questions about those sorts of subjects dont get answered on their forums. So I just assumed that the mantra 'if your version is working for you, dont upgrade' was the one to follow.

I am really grateful to you for responding: I will wait for 15LMDE and then try to install it on this computer. I really am a bit of a newbie in that I have only been using Linux for about 6 years and cant properly differentiate between flavours beyond knowing what they are based on and knowing thatknowing that isnt really enough, as you can see. But the support on LMDE does seem to be better: The users really do seem more interested in ensuring that questions get answered. And who knows, sometime someone may be working on in-place upgrades between versions like Darwin now uses!

Runaway1956
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Runaway1956 »

Drake wrote:That worked great zerozero, thanks so much for the link :D

For anyone wanting to use proprietary video drivers be prepared to do some reading at:

[url]http://smxi.org/site/faqs-sgfxi.htm[/url]

Although to make it easier just do this :lol:

Loggin as normal, open a Terminal, type:

sudo su (then enter root password)

Copy and paste this into the terminal:
cd /usr/local/bin && wget -Nc smxi.org/sgfxi && chmod +x sgfxi && sgfxi

then after you installed and quit that copy and paste this:
cd /usr/local/bin && wget -Nc smxi.org/smxi && chmod +x smxi && smxi

reboot the system

Login then CTRL+ALT+F1
Login as root
Type: sgfxi

When all finished I rebooted, Logged in then CTRL+ALT+F1 again and typed:
smxi

You get a lot of questions becareful what you choose, just read the questions instead of pressing ENTER like a maniac, I chose Current (Recommended Nvidia driver which was 319.17)

That's it done reboot, apparently this should work for ATI video cards too.

Great post. I've done video drivers several different ways now. This is so fast, so simple, so easy - there should probably be a law against it or something. Don't tell congress how easy it is!

roblm
Level 12
Level 12

Post by roblm »

From my testing with LMDE cinnamon edition, the graphics drivers downloaded from the Nvidia website won't install on LMDE using the
standard method of installation. The kernel on LMDE was compiled with gcc version 4.6 but the installed version is gcc 4.7, which is needed
to build the Nvidia kernel module during installation. These need to be the same. The Nvidia drivers available in the Device Driver Manager
have been repackaged to install properly. Another solution is to install a newer kernel that was compiled with gcc version 4.7.

Check my topic : Testing Nvidia's Graphics Drivers 319.17 and 319.32 in LMDE
in the link below for more information.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=191&t=134613

Return to “LMDE Archive”