netlfix almost working

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Locked
PlanetR
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:48 pm

netlfix almost working

Post by PlanetR »

HI guy, so I"ve been trying to get netlix working form e on linux using this method:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get-repository ppa:ehoover/compholio
sudo apt-get update    sudo apt-get install netflix-desktop 
when i do sudo apt-get update I get this error:

Code: Select all

W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/ehoover/compholio/ubuntu/dists/debian/main/source/Sources  404  Not Found

W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/ehoover/compholio/ubuntu/dists/debian/main/binary-i386/Packages  404  Not Found

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.  
i decided to just try the last command, sudo apt-get install netflix-desktop, and I get this:

Code: Select all

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package netflix-desktop
when i put in:

Code: Select all

netflix-desktop
it says

Code: Select all

netflix-desktop:command not found
any advice? I've seen some people get this working, and i know I saw one guy say that getting the command not found after netflix-desktop means it is installed, so what am I missing? please help!!

User avatar
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24
Posts: 24341
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:58 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: netlfix almost working

Post by xenopeek »

I might be mistaken but that looks like you are running LMDE? If not, please share what version of Linux Mint you have. Please also share the output of this command, so we can check the repository configuration:

Code: Select all

inxi -r
Image

PlanetR
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:48 pm

Re: netlfix almost working

Post by PlanetR »

It is indeed lmde . I will get back to you shortly on that repository configuration

User avatar
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24
Posts: 24341
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:58 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: netlfix almost working

Post by xenopeek »

Moved to LMDE forum.

PPAs are not as a rule compatible with LMDE (or actually Debian Wheezy). If you know for sure this one is, then you'll have to edit the PPA's repository configuration file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ and replace the distribution name 'debian' with one of the Ubuntu distribution names (the one most likely to be compatible with Debian Wheezy?).

As you write, you've seen some people get this working--also on LMDE or Debian? Otherwise perhaps LMDE users here can answer if this is something that would work and how best to proceed.
Image

Transitman
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 95
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:48 am

Re: netlfix almost working

Post by Transitman »

PlanetR wrote:It is indeed lmde . I will get back to you shortly on that repository configuration

Code: Select all

#### Netflix Repos
deb [arch=amd64,i386] http://ppa.launchpad.net/ehoover/compholio/ubuntu precise main
# deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/ehoover/compholio/ubuntu precise main
Just copied this from my sources.list, and I've installed this and it works.

PlanetR
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:48 pm

Re: netlfix almost working

Post by PlanetR »

Thank you guys for the help, but I don't have access to the computer I need to work on so I will have to get back to you within a few days.

PlanetR
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:48 pm

Re: netlfix almost working

Post by PlanetR »

Alright I know have possession of the computer and I will reply to you each in turn. thanks again for all the replies.

PlanetR
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:48 pm

Re: netlfix almost working

Post by PlanetR »

xenopeek wrote:I might be mistaken but that looks like you are running LMDE? If not, please share what version of Linux Mint you have. Please also share the output of this command, so we can check the repository configuration:

Code: Select all

inxi -r


alright so I got this:

Code: Select all

Repos:     Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list
           deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import
           deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest testing main contrib non-free
           deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/security testing/updates main contrib non-free
           deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/multimedia testing main non-free
           Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ehoover-compholio-debian.list
           deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ehoover/compholio/ubuntu debian main
           deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/ehoover/compholio/ubuntu debian main
           Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list
           deb http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main
did I do it right?

PlanetR
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:48 pm

Re: netlfix almost working

Post by PlanetR »

xenopeek wrote:Moved to LMDE forum.

PPAs are not as a rule compatible with LMDE (or actually Debian Wheezy). If you know for sure this one is, then you'll have to edit the PPA's repository configuration file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ and replace the distribution name 'debian' with one of the Ubuntu distribution names (the one most likely to be compatible with Debian Wheezy?).

As you write, you've seen some people get this working--also on LMDE or Debian? Otherwise perhaps LMDE users here can answer if this is something that would work and how best to proceed.
are you talking about the file name? when I go to that location you gave me in the file system, i have plain text documents for that repository. they do have the word debian in them, are you saying i should replace that name with a different word? is so what word(s) will work?

Locked

Return to “LMDE Archive”