Help removing installed files

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
merryoakparker

Help removing installed files

Post by merryoakparker »

Hello, I need some help. I have tried to install several programs from deb files and now have them installed according to the deb installer, but they are not working or showing up anywhere except for the "executive" files in my downloads folder or as aborted files when I try to open them via the terminal.

How do I completely delete these files from my LMDE when I cannot find them?

Thank you very much,

merryoakparker
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Help removing installed files

Post by GeneBenson »

Hi merryoakparker,

Just a few thoughts.
Do they show up in Synaptic? If so you can remove them from there. Also, does Synaptic report any "broken" files/installs?

Do you have Gdebi installed? If so you can left click on the .deb file and choose "Open with Gdebi Package Installer". If you choose that then you should see an option to Remove the package.

Hope this helps. :D
merryoakparker

Post by merryoakparker »

Gene,
Thanks for the reply, but I'm a real noobie here. how do I open either synaptic or the Deb installer to remove these files? I am still semi-literate with Linux. And how do i find the files??

Sorry to sound so dumb, but I really am not yet conversant with Linux.

Thanks for putting up with these obviously simple, but hard to find the solutions for me, questions.

merryoakparker
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

To run synaptic, type this in a terminal:
$ sudo synaptic
then search for the package name, or part of it.

Or, do whatever you did to install from the .deb files (again), but just open the .deb file (rt-click, open with whatever you used) and look for something (a tab) telling you which files it put where.

To find whatever you installed, search the entire computer for them:

$ sudo find / -iname "*some-string-in-the-program-name-you-installed*"

where some-string-in-the-program-name-you-installed is part of the name of whatever you installed. (e.g. 'hund' or 'ird' for 'thunderbird' package, etc) Don't forget the *s.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
merryoakparker

Post by merryoakparker »

Flemur,
Here's my problem in a nutshell. I'm trying to install JRivers Media Center 19 which has just been released this month and at least 4 builds are available now. I've "installed" each one with the Deb installer for Media Center and none of them work. JRivers has been around for years with just Windows vwersions of media players and earlier this year released a Mac version.
Now I've got all these files which I have installed and can't find them or know how to uninstall them,. JRivers is working on the problem of getting their Linux version up and running, but so far in the first 12 days of this month havfen't made it yet.

How do I get rid of these installed files and I've installed every version from 19.0.51 through 19.0.56.?

Website: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?PHPSESSID=e4mqrn5gt8u9ocf4hasn78pcs2&board=35.0

Thanks,
merryoakparker
Paulm

Post by Paulm »

An easy way for you is to get each of the Debian (.deb) version files again, click to install them again and it will tell you 'same version installed' but you should now see under the 'install' button an 'uninstall' button, just use that and it will install.
merryoakparker

Post by merryoakparker »

Paulm, I re-installed the package with the GBedi installer and ir reinstalled my package and that was it. No option to remove the package was shown. Where do I go from here, please?
merryoakparker
merryoakparker

Post by merryoakparker »

Let me try to clarify my question again, please. I have installed via GDebi Package Installer several versions of Media Center 19, all of which were installed according to the installer and none show up on my program list. When i enter mediacenter into the terminal, I get the installed packages but all eventually abort.
Please tell old yoyo here exactly the command to enter into my terminal to find and delete those files? I've gotten to
sudo find/ but from there on, I'm lost. The deb installer does not offer the option to remove the files after the "successful install" nor are these listed in the synaptic search.
If nothing else, where the heck are they in my LMDE system?

Thanks for the assistance,
merryoakparker
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GeneBenson »

Hi merryoakparker,

I had a look at the J River site and the Media Center for Linux is only available in a 32 bit version. Is your system 32 or 64 bit? If it's 64 bit that would explain why nothing is running or even getting installed. Without a lot of extra work beforehand a 32 bit program will not run, or even install, on a 64 bit system.

If you open a terminal and enter: inxi -S
it should tell whether you are running 32 or 64 bit.
Paulm

Post by Paulm »

As you installed using 'GDebi' I would now try Synaptic.
Open System>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager, then use the search function. They should be there....
When found right click the box and 'mark for removal'
merryoakparker

Post by merryoakparker »

Paulm,
Thank you. I just realized that I had not expressed my appreciaeion to you or anyone else here for help and advice in uninstalling files. Again, I've learned something. Using administration and then the synaptic manager and search found them and allowed me to remove them. I'll get this Linux thing down eventually if I can keep trying.
merryoakparker

Return to “LMDE Archive”