Several Cinnamon desktop issues afer installation

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
bennypr0fane
Level 1
Level 1

Several Cinnamon desktop issues afer installation

Post by bennypr0fane »

Hello, I'm on a fresh install of LMDE /w Cinnamon and almost done customizing it.
There are a few pieces missing though to Cinnamon & me diving into a happy relationship:
- The Firefox icon has vanished from panel launcher, menu and its window title bar.
I have found the way to replace it in the launcher, but still see the ugly default-icon square in other places where the orange fox should be wrapped around the blue world.
- The desktop wallpaper is not shown in scale/expo view, the background is just black.
- The icon for the "show desktop" panel applet does not match the icon set I am using. It's also not the Cinnamon default, but from the Gnome standard icon set. It does not change by removing the applet and reactivating it.

I have a hunch all these are related to the fact that I applied different themes not just to Cinnamon, but all the UI elements (bcs surprise, there is only a couple of themes that encompasses all the UI components of a Gnome desktop. However, if you have any suggestions other than to turn to the makers of those themes, I'd be very thankful.
This is just an issue that IMO needs to be addressed in Gnome 3/Cinnamon, namely theming the UI, if not restricted to (variations of) the two or three main themes used as default by most distros (Adwaita, Radiance), is just fragmented: Shell, icons and window components all need to be themed separately.
Thus it's mostly unpolished, bound to mess up yr UI in one or more places.

- One (almost) not UI-related issue: I keep getting longer error-notifiactions from the Dropbox client. It includes a complicated terminal command, and I'd like to copy-paste it somewhere I can work with it. Right- or left-clicking on the notification does nothing though, does anyone know how I can generally access the text of those (other than just read them)?
Thanks, Ben
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Ron

Re: Several Cinnamon desktop issues afer installation

Post by Ron »

Hi, Benny,

I'm sorry I can't help with all your problems but I may be able to help with the scale/expo issue.

There is a bug report for this (a very old one) and AFAIK it hasn't been fixed yet. This is what I have done.

Kill Nemo (or Nautilus, if that's what you're using)
Restart Cinnamon
Restart Nemo

This causes the background to render in scale/expo and it sticks through reboots (at least it has for me).

Ron
bennypr0fane
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bennypr0fane »

Ron wrote: Kill Nemo (or Nautilus, if that's what you're using)
Restart Cinnamon
Restart Nemo
This causes the background to render in scale/expo and it sticks through reboots (at least it has for me).
Awesome, this worked. Haven't tried after reboot yet, crossing fingers.
Thanks!
Sonsum

Post by Sonsum »

I have this problem too. Unfortunately for me, killing and restarting Nemo and Cinnamon only fixes the problem for a second, the background turns black again almost instantly.
bennypr0fane
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bennypr0fane »

Sonsum wrote:I have this problem too. Unfortunately for me, killing and restarting Nemo and Cinnamon only fixes the problem for a second, the background turns black again almost instantly.
Actually, I was also too quick with the cheering. It went away after the next reboot, and also doesn't always work when repeating the procedure.
Ron, you wouldn't happen to have a link to that bug so I can vote for it?
Will make separate posts for the other problems now.
Sonsum

Post by Sonsum »

I managed to fix it by following the advice here: https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/696

The command

Code: Select all

gsettings set org.nemo.desktop background-fade false
fixed it for me.
bennypr0fane
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bennypr0fane »

Sonsum wrote:I managed to fix it by following the advice here: https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/696

The command

Code: Select all

gsettings set org.nemo.desktop background-fade false
fixed it for me.
Wow, this works for me, too and sticks across reboots! I think the issue may be the same as this one:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/1744
Sonsum

Post by Sonsum »

Yeah, it seems like a pretty common issue. I noticed you're running an Intel HD Graphics card in your laptop (just like I am).

Maybe that has something to do with it. Anyways, glad it worked for you too!

Return to “LMDE Archive”