[SOLVED] using gnome-shell and cinnamon on same install?

Archived topics about LMDE 1
Riko
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] using gnome-shell and cinnamon on same install?

Post by Riko » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:58 am

Hi,

as you can see from my signature, I'm a gnome guy and do like gnome-shell. But I also like to try some other things for some time. With cinnamon having arrived in version 2 with UP8 now, I thought I will give it a spin again. However, it wants to remove "gnome-desktop-data". From the package description it sounds like I don't want to remove it. Or will the pixmaps and .desktop files be just replaced with the corresponding cinnamon ones and the gnome-desktop will just look the same?

Thanks for any hint,

Riko
Last edited by Riko on Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: using gnome-shell and cinnamon on same install?

Post by Monsta » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:48 pm

Hmm, I remember this package was indeed removed during the upgrade. See this bug report: it hints that this package has been superseded by gnome-desktop3-data. So I think you can proceed.

But I'd first fully upgrade the system and only then install Cinnamon.

Riko
Level 3
Level 3

Re: using gnome-shell and cinnamon on same install?

Post by Riko » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:44 pm

Thanks, Monsta, dor pointing that out. Could have figured that out myself, I guess :) Well, it works. I just removed gnome-desktop-data after seeing gnome3-desktop-data was installed. All worked after that, so cinnamon installed and is running flawlessly.

Cheers!

TarasMK
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] using gnome-shell and cinnamon on same install?

Post by TarasMK » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:02 pm

Riko wrote:as you can see from my signature, I'm a gnome guy and do like gnome-shell
Hi Riko

I like to use gnome-shell too. But I have a problem after recent updates.
Certain app (and extensions) cause crashes and I'm forced to log out, and gnome is loaded again without extension (for safety). Can you please answer few questions for me, to understand my problem better:
1) Do you have any problems with apps or it works stable for you?
2) Which theme do you use?
3) How old is your system (I use LMDE from times when gnome 2 was main GUI, I wonder if this can cause some conflicts now)?
4) As I had understood, you use both cinnamon and gnome shell at the same time and they work both fine (there is no conflicts)?

It would be great to know whether my problem can be solved.

Riko
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Riko » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:02 pm

Hi TaraMK,

I'm not sure if I can help you, but I will try to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge. One thing one hase to keep in mind: my system is a bit of a hybrid system. In particular the gnome 3.8 installation is (probably) not vanilla LMDE. I puller gnome3.8 from the debian repos during LMDE UP7 when LMDE was still at 3.2 (I believe). That worked fine however with UP7 there was a library conflict with Cinnamon (when it was till based on the gnome libs). So during UP7 times, I had only gnome / GS installed. With UP8 these issues were resolved and I have both gnome 3.8 and Cinnamon installed. I ASSUME (!!!) even though my gnome-shell came originally from debian, it should now not make a difference to a vanilla LMDE installation, but who knows! :)

The problems you have are under GS or Cinnamon or both?
1) Do you have any problems with apps or it works stable for you?
Nope, not I recall, at least nothing that could be attributed to an conflict GS vs Cinnamon
2) Which theme do you use?
Theme might be an issue. I experienced that the wrong / incompatible theme can screw up your desktop quite nicely. I do like to play with themes though. Under GS I currently use:
  • shell theme: darkair
    GTK+ theme: GnomishDark
    Icon theme: Kalahari-Dark ChocoDarkOrange
    current theme: Adwaita
Under Cinnamon I use:
  • cinnamon theme: ClearlyGreen
    Control: GnomishDark
    Icons: Mint-X
    Window border: Adwaita
I would assume, whatever are the default GS themes, they should be safe. As I'm booted

Also, you might have some buggy extensions under GS? Turn them off and see if things run more stable and then start to turn them on 1 by 1 to see if there is a particular one causing problems.
3) How old is your system (I use LMDE from times when gnome 2 was main GUI, I wonder if this can cause some conflicts now)?
must be about 1.5 years now!? I installed some 2013RC iso and then went through the updates as them came. The iso must have been UP6 I assume. No idea if some gnome2 remnants was cause conflicts. You could remove anything gnome2 related just to make sure ...
4) As I had understood, you use both cinnamon and gnome shell at the same time and they work both fine (there is no conflicts)?
Only issues I have are minor: When I start my session with GS I often have to restart it to get the themes working correctly. When login into Cinnamon I sometimes have to restart it because it is running cinnamon-falllback instead of cinnamon. But no crashes of the DE or applicatioms.

Good luck!

TarasMK
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TarasMK » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:15 pm

Riko wrote:Theme might be an issue. I experienced that the wrong / incompatible theme can screw up your desktop quite nicely. I do like to play with themes though. Under GS I currently use:
  • shell theme: darkair
    GTK+ theme: GnomishDark
    Icon theme: Kalahari-Dark ChocoDarkOrange
    current theme: Adwaita
Under Cinnamon I use:
  • cinnamon theme: ClearlyGreen
    Control: GnomishDark
    Icons: Mint-X
    Window border: Adwaita
Thanks a lot!

So I saw that you are using different themes for GS then I have. I tried to change gtk+ and window themes to adwaita, without any success.
Now I tried to change icon theme and crashes are gone! I couldn't imagine that icons can cause such troubles. And for cinnamon that worked fine all the time.

Anyway now it works fine for me :)

Riko
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Riko » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:21 pm

Now that you mention it, I think I had problems, too, with the Mint icons under GS3.8 ... Should have remembered .... :)

Anyway, I'm glad it worked for you!

Cheers and enjoy your desktops! :)

Return to “LMDE 1 Archive”