How to tell LMDE latest header files

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Algeorge

How to tell LMDE latest header files

Post by Algeorge »

How do I know whats the latest header version eg
Currently I boot into linux-headers-3.2.0-4-common which is latest version 3.2.32-1 but my PC is showing that there is a major update of 1174 files.
I have done the update on another computer yesterday and the same 3.2 version shows along with another header file:
linux-headers-3.11-2-common/3.11.8-1 latest version.

My current (unupgraded) PC shows that the 3.11.8-1 version is not installed as its the latest version, but to my mind, 3.2 should be latest version, however the upgraded PC now boots the 3.11.8 header by default.

What gives this is a totally confusing scenario given that 3.2 should always be the later version of those numbers.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kurotsugi

Re: How to tell LMDE latest header files

Post by kurotsugi »

if you mean the kernel header, the answer is no. current newest kernel header in UP8 is 3.11. 3.2 was the kernel header for UP6 and now obsolete.
Algeorge

Post by Algeorge »

kurotsugi wrote:if you mean the kernel header, the answer is no. current newest kernel header in UP8 is 3.11. 3.2 was the kernel header for UP6 and now obsolete.
Thanks for your info which confirms my suspicions that the upgrade is numerically older, which really makes no sense at all.
Kind regards,
Alistair
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Algeorge wrote:the upgrade is numerically older, which really makes no sense at all.
what kind of order were you expecting?
higher version number is newer, it always was.
Algeorge

Post by Algeorge »

zerozero wrote:
Algeorge wrote:the upgrade is numerically older, which really makes no sense at all.
what kind of order were you expecting?
higher version number is newer, it always was.
Dah, I really need to get new glasses: thinks 3.2 is greater than 3.1 but its not its 3.11/eleven

So sorry and embarrassed.
Al.

Return to “LMDE Archive”