Is there a respository for Motion (webcam / motion sensor)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
JordanH

Is there a respository for Motion (webcam / motion sensor)

Post by JordanH »

Hi All,

I often use the handy piece of software called motion that records / broadcasts web cam images when it detects motion. I have an LMDE installation and would like to install motion, but can't find it in a repository. Just thought I'd check with you guys before I install it via tarball.

Any chance that there's an LMDE apt repository out there for motion?

I'm not really looking for alternatives at this point but hey, I'm always interested in other software too. In this case, I'm monitoring our new litter of puppies while I'm at work so the package would need to be able to broadcast webcam images in real time and record... preferably only when there's actual movement.

Cheers,
Jordan.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Is there a respository for Motion (webcam / motion senso

Post by Monsta »

The package named motion has been removed from Debian Testing repositories a few months ago and so it's not available in LMDE. Recently it appeared in Testing again, so you can get it from there.
JordanH

Post by JordanH »

Yes! Thank you!

For others looking, I used the following repository.
deb http://ftp.ca.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free

A handy apt sources generator I came across in looking for this was here:
http://debgen.simplylinux.ch/
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Jordon,
I know this is an older post, but you can get the Motion program in the Software channel (Synaptic PAckage Manager) or by going to their website. I also provided some misc info regarding how to easily create desktop icons to start and stop Motion. I would also highly recommend Zoneminder as an alternative.

Motion website
http://lavrsen.dk/foswiki/bin/view/Motion/WebHome

This was a real pain to find a simple way to close or exit the really nice Linux Motion software, rather than rebooting / restarting your computer, or bringing up System Montitor Processes and highlighting all Motion entries and right clicking to end those tasks.

Simple way to exit or close the Motion software, you can bring up your console terminal and type in:
killall -9 motion

I created a new desktop icon, link to application, with those commands entered on the command line with a title "Motion - Exit/Close" and it works. Right click a blank area on your desktop, select create new, then "link to application, give new icon a Name, like "Motion - Exit/Close", click on "Applications" tab, enter a description, and on the Command line enter "killall -9 motion", and click ok.

This is for those of you running Motion in "daemon", always on, mode, otherwise you can just close the Terminal window that you are running Motion in to exit the program. If anyone has an easier way, I'd love to know about it too.

I didn't want the Motion software to start when my system starts, even though you can do that, so I also created a new desktop icon, link to application, for starting Motion as well. Right click a blank area on your desktop, select create new, then "link to application, give new icon a Name, like "Motion - Start", click on "Applications" tab, enter a description, and on the Command line enter "Monitor", and click ok.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Jordon, and anyone else regarding "Motion",

I was messing around with the really great "Motion" webcam, ip camera, security camera, motion detection program. And learned something new. So, I remembered my previous posts and thought I would update it.

I forgot, or just did not try it before, but you can control the "Motion" program, including stopping it and your camera(s), from your browser using the "Motion" web control panel; when "Motion" is running, you just type in "localhost:8080" in a browser tab as the URL, when the menu options appear, select "Actions", and "quit". You can also view your camera(s) using the URL "localhost:8081", or whatever you put in the "motion" configuration file.

As I described in my previous posts, I still think that creating desktop icons to launch "motion" and or to stop "motion" is the easiest method, but you can do some other nice things through the "Motion" web control panel.

How to Operate Linux Spycams With Motion
https://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/7 ... ith-motion

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.

Return to “LMDE Archive”