Install to new HDD Legacy-mode

Archived topics about LMDE 1
inkflowed
Level 1
Level 1

Install to new HDD Legacy-mode

Post by inkflowed » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:18 am

Hey,

This question is about a clean install of lmde on a brand new hdd.
I have a win-8 acer aspire laptop, it can enable/disable efi/secureboot.
I can get the CD to boot either in EFI mode with secure boot disabled, or with legacy mode.

From there, I'm not sure how to get grub working. Theoretically, Where do I install it to? Nothing I've tried has been successful.

Do I need to worry about signed-keys with legacy mode? If not, why when I install does nothing boot? Is it that, if I need to install in EFI mode, then I could do so with a signed version of ubuntu or mint, and then once grub is functional, go ahead and install lmde clean?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI
I'd like to just be able to use Legacy mode and get it to boot from hdd, but nothing works. I'm sure I must be missing something.

Also, there needs to be some updated guides, I could do so if I can get this figured out. All the guides have an outdated UI that has the "something different" option. I haven't seen that option in ages.

Thanks
I'm really glad to be a part of the mint community.

inkflowed
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Install to new HDD Legacy-mode

Post by inkflowed » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:39 am

Just wanted to mention: the HDD is the only one, it's not a secondary.

dupek
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Install to new HDD Legacy-mode

Post by dupek » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:18 am

Do you still have win 8 and planning on using it?. If you do, then you need the EFI, but if you have clean hdd and planning on using Mint only then you will have to reformat your hdd with MBR and just run install. At the end of install, grub will be installed.

Return to “LMDE 1 Archive”