[Solved] Install Steam on LMDE 64 bit Cinnamon, Nvidia

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
apemanx

[Solved] Install Steam on LMDE 64 bit Cinnamon, Nvidia

Post by apemanx »

So I had to try and help others with this.

I successfully got steam working on the 64 bit edition with Nvidia drivers, but since I could not find a suitable post from other people on the Mint forums I thought I'd create one.

So, you go to the software center to install Steam. It installs and updates successfully.
You try to run it and get:

Code: Select all

Error: You are missing the following 32-bit libraries, and Steam may not run:
libGL.so.1
You can do:

locate libGL.so.1
This will show you that you so have the library. It is up to you what you want to do to point steam there (Symbolic links, files, steam.conf files or such things if you're up to it) but I did the following:

If you do not have 32 bit architecture added do so:

dpkg --add-architecture i386

sudo apt-get update
if you want to (I didn't).
Now you have those architecture also

sudo apt-get install libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386
There are, other graphics driver suitable stuff available for others but this one does it for Nvidia.

Start steam, hopefully it starts correctly.

if not you can add the following also (should not be necessary and you can change the 'mesa' parts accordingly):

gksudo gedit /etc/ld.so.conf.d/steam.conf
then add lines

/usr/lib32
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa
And

sudo ldconfig
Hope it all works!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TuxCapacitor

Re: [Solved] Install Steam on LMDE 64 bit Cinnamon, Nvidia

Post by TuxCapacitor »

Would you mind posting your "inxi -Gxz" output?

I am able to get Steam to launch with no errors, but games (have tried HL2 and Super meat boy) will not launch or will launch a black window and just hang, freeze, etc.

Mine is currently:
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GF104 [GeForce GTX 460] bus-ID: 01:00.0 X.Org: 1.14.3 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 460/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.3.0 NVIDIA 319.72 Direct Rendering: Yes

I am similarly running LMDE 64 bit fully updated as of this post.

Thanks!
apemanx

Post by apemanx »

I will post my current ones as soon as I get home.
Unfortunately I completely and utterly broke my LMDE 64 bit - (perfectly working installation) when my music was slilghtly glitchy (Games worked fine as I installed it above).

I rebuilt the kernel - fixed the sound. removed the nVidia - wanted the nVidia back - tried everything until I completely broke it. Using Mint 17 now - but because of the newer kernel. I loved the LMDE distro - and my custom kernel.
You still want me to post the info? (I got everything I ever wanted working currently even completely smooth gaming through wine)
apemanx

Post by apemanx »

TuxCapacitor wrote: I am able to get Steam to launch with no errors, but games (have tried HL2 and Super meat boy) will not launch or will launch a black window and just hang, freeze, etc.
Are you launching it from the shortcut? or through steam from the menu? I know a couple of people who's games are not working if you start from the shortcuts? - you have to open steam, select play from the library..
TuxCapacitor

Post by TuxCapacitor »

Yes and yes. I'm launching through the games library inside Steam. I've gotten Super Meat Boy to launch and play with sound and 360 controller (although blinking light). Not sure I changed anything, just several reboots while working on other things and put this on hold to wait on replies.
Someone else on another thread suggested going to Mint 17 as well. I would strongly prefer LMDE.
apemanx

Post by apemanx »

I would also like to have stayed on LMDE... But i'm sure all those small bugs are being sorted out here and there... I'l give it a year and try again...!
For now. mint 17 goes well! All of mint gets my donations anyway...

Here it is anyway...

inxi -Gxz
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           Card-2: NVIDIA GK107 [GeForce GTX 650] bus-ID: 01:00.0 
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: nvidia,intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau) Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 650/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.4.0 NVIDIA 331.38 Direct Rendering: Yes

Return to “LMDE Archive”