LMDE Glitchy sound on music and movies?<SOLVED>

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
apemanx
Level 2
Level 2

LMDE Glitchy sound on music and movies?<SOLVED>

Post by apemanx »

Hi, anyone, everyone!

I'm a new LMDE user old(er) linux user. I could not find answers anywhere on this.
I've encountered this glitchy sound when playing movies or music with totem/vlc/banshee. Al three apps get this slight glitch every few minutes. Almost every song you listen to. It plays well with no glitch at all, perfect sounding, then for about 200-500 ms - which is noticable - there's a slight overlap. and the song or movie continues perfect on. It's like on older systems when you play music and the CPU starts working and theres that almost-pause.

I cannot solve this or pin point it.
I use the analogue port on my motherboard, I've tried it with HDMI and the other HMDI-DVI port through a GTX 650 card, all give the same.
Processor Haswell i5-4670K. 8GB 1600Mhz ram - so i do not think it is the hardware.

Thanks

Japie
Last edited by apemanx on Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Breaking and fixing is learning! This knowledge gained gives power. And power gives you freedom if used with wisdom!

PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Re: LMDE Glitchy sound on music and movies ?

Post by PatH57 »

Hi.

always good to post more info open terminal and copy paste:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
People disagree with me. I just ignore them.
(Linus Torvalds, regarding the use of C++ for the Linux kernel.)

Please Add [Solved] to the topic-title of your first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.

apemanx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by apemanx »

Gladly

System:    Host: lmde Kernel: 3.11-2-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.1) 
           Desktop: Cinnamon 2.0.14 (Gtk 3.8.4) Distro: LinuxMint 1 debian
Machine:   Mobo: Gigabyte model: H81M-DS2 version: x.x Bios: American Megatrends version: F3 date: 07/25/2013
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i5-4670K CPU (-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 27137 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 800.00 MHz 3: 3401.00 MHz 4: 800.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           Card-2: NVIDIA GK107 [GeForce GTX 650] bus-ID: 01:00.0 
           X.Org: 1.14.3 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 650/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.3.0 NVIDIA 319.72 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1: Intel 8 Series/C220 Series High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0 
           Card-2: NVIDIA GK107 HDMI Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1 
           Card-3: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:03.0 
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.11-2-amd64
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter driver: rtl8192ce port: c000 bus-ID: 04:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller 
           driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: d000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1080.2GB (39.8% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: ST380815AS size: 80.0GB 
           2: id: /dev/sdb model: WDC_WD10EZEX size: 1000.2GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 67G used: 30G (48%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 6.29GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 33.0C mobo: 29.8C gpu: 0.0:42C 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 157 Uptime: 19:12 Memory: 1225.0/7892.7MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.2 
           Client: Shell (bash 4.2.45) inxi: 1.9.14 
Breaking and fixing is learning! This knowledge gained gives power. And power gives you freedom if used with wisdom!

PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Post by PatH57 »

just for a test could you download a more stable release then LMDE (debian testing) let's say Mint 17 64 Mate, create a boot medium and try in a live session to play one of these music or video files?
reason is I noted a lot more video and sound issues with either LMDE or cinnamon then with plain Mate or Xfce ?
and off course Mint 17 uses kernel 3.13 whereas LMDE is 3.11

Please Add [Solved] to the topic-title of your first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.

apemanx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by apemanx »

I think I will do that yes, with Mint 17 Mate.
I will reply as soon as I have... Might take a day or two, my internet speed and I are not friends.
Live boot then, good!

Thanks!

(I can always compile a kernel and update it like that (if the live boot does not work)?? - I'm up to try... :o :o )
I will need correct instructions though (previous attempts failed very badly as you can imagine)

Downloading...

PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Post by PatH57 »

no worries we will try our best to hold hands and guide you through those "difficult" moments.
South Africa and slow internet? much more remember beautiful women and cheap beer :wink: or was it the other way around... just joking

apemanx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by apemanx »

:D :D The beer is still cheap but the women get expensive! Internet still slow.

I am running the live boot of Mint 17 MATE 64 bit at this moment - With music playing in the back.
Absolutely no glitch, no matter what varying processes I try to run in the background.
So yes it works! - Very very well. Music Movies any and all formats.

Do you suspect a Kernel or Cinnamon -- Mate thing?
I love the cinnamon environment at this moment. And the principle of LMDE.

Thanks!

EDIT: I tried it again on normal boot after hearing the good sound. It is still there. Very slight glitch but every 2 - 5 minutes. Listening a symphony you will miss it. Listening a song with a single voice or watching movie you will notice it very easily. (not the normal movie stutter). - Almost like the music is pixelating! (I'm trying to describe sound in words which is... very difficult.)

RE_EDIT: Sounds like someone very,very quickly plugs out the sound and plugs it back - that type of sound. :|

PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Post by PatH57 »

I just noticed a few more people reporting sound/video problems on LMDE then on other LM17.
a newer kernel wold be the first thing I try as it also brings "enhanced" drivers if this doesn't fix the issue we can then focus on settings or try different version of drivers.

apemanx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by apemanx »

Ok,

I'm willing to try the new kernel... Is there a .deb build available? I have tried building the kernel from kernel.org like I do other normal programs ./configure or old config and make and checkinstall. And I got the .deb but after researching all I can I see is that that was not the way?

Is there a new tutorial on a 3.16 kernel compile and install for debian? I would love to try? but I need the correct instructions? Is there a post open like that?

apemanx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by apemanx »

Would this be adequate?

As of 9 August 2014:
http://www.tecmint.com/install-kernel-3-16-in-debian/

PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Post by PatH57 »

my personal feeling is that it is a bit new and could induce other problems...
stay with a 3.15.x it has been around for a moment and probably has more fixes already in it.

check first if anything new is available through the repo

aptitude search linux-source

apemanx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by apemanx »

Unfortunately not...

I see what you say about v3.15.. Maybe I should have! (Installing a new OS is always fun anyway I got backups of everything so no worries for a broken system)
If 3.16.1 fails I will try 3.15... I will report on my success... If there are problems I will list them -- though I do not expect people to help with them! It's on me...

Starting to really enjoy this... The compiling is running eating every CPU core I have.
the .debs are being created now...

PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Post by PatH57 »

have fun and keep us posted :lol:

apemanx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by apemanx »

Update:

Kernel builds well and installs - (i'm getting damn good at this compiling thing.) I fail at the installation. The X server won't start when you reboot - then I reboot into old kernel and everything is fine. I remove the modules and headers so that I can re-do the installation. But i'm thinking that thats not the problem.

The Nvidia Proprietary (Screw Nvidia) driver is the problem according to some forums and other websites... If I remove this and xorg.conf it should be better...
So now I need to figure out how to remove Nvidia and keep the standard and default driver... any quick answers on that?

Nest steps:
Try with 3.15.10 kernel... if it does not work,
reboot into 3.11 and uninstall and forget about Nvidia prop driver for a while... then reinstall 3.15.10; If it restart without Nvidia Driver on Native driver in 3.11. (thus driver is working).

PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Post by PatH57 »

So now I need to figure out how to remove Nvidia and keep the standard and default driver.
control center, driver manager and enable nouveau.

apemanx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by apemanx »

PatH57 wrote:
So now I need to figure out how to remove Nvidia and keep the standard and default driver.
control center, driver manager and enable nouveau.
What? Is there a driver manager in LMDE?

PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Post by PatH57 »

DDM in LMDE repository (new version since 05/2014.)
or check in synaptic for nouveau and reinstall it (and xorg-nouveau)

apemanx
Level 2
Level 2

Re: LMDE Glitchy sound on music and movies?

Post by apemanx »

DID IT!!!!!! :mrgreen: :D :P :) 8)
Kernel 3.15.10 worked.

Edit:<PARTLY SOLVED>

New Kernel installed!!!!!! So far no sound glitches...
With the restart after the kernel update I has to remove xorg.conf (keep all others at backed up) to start... Then BAD. Cinnamon won't start. So i did

sudo apt-get remove nvidia*
This should then force it to start with nouveau. It did. I'm typing this with clean smooth music playing and with full cinnamon. Nvidia gone - On graphics benchmark it is very bad compared to the Nvidia drivers. Really, I just tested this, it is baad. :oops:

Now to get nVidia working again.... If the sound problem comes again we will know what causes this...
(Please if anyone else has a glitch post here! especially if you run nVidia working drivers!)
I put on cpuburn for 4 full cores to see if I can get a glitchy sound --- nope! :D :D I do not want to mark it solved yet befor nVidia is working without a glitch.

Good. Now Nvidia..... Damn?
O I can't find the driver manager or DDM anywhere?
Last edited by apemanx on Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Post by PatH57 »

just to see what is installed

inxi -Gxz

apemanx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by apemanx »

Here it is...

Graphics:  Card-1: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           Card-2: NVIDIA GK107 [GeForce GTX 650] bus-ID: 01:00.0 
           X.Org: 1.14.3 drivers: intel,nouveau (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NVE7 GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 9.2.2 Direct Rendering: Yes
So far I tried the standard nVidia installation : (THIS DOES NOT WORK)

sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx nvidia-kernel-dkms nvidia-xconfig nvidia-settings
        sudo nvidia-xconfig
I wonder if the legacy driver might work better...?
Watched a movie -- and the sound was great! Movie too; no problems whatsoever... (still hope to blame it on the Nvidia Driver... If i get it installed in some way)
'till tomorrow then.
Last edited by apemanx on Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “LMDE Archive”