Archived topics about LMDE 1
Forum rules
LMDE 2 support ends on 1-1-2019
medusa
Level 1
Level 1

LMDE Cinnamon won't stay off at powerdown/shutdown

Post by medusa » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:30 am

I am one of the many that with LMDe can't get my pc to stay off at the shutdown or powerdown -h command. It always starts back up. I had no problems with lxde or debian wheezy with this but with this distros yes. To my knowledge I've set bios not to restart at any time so I'm lost at how to tackle this problem. I hate having to get up and walk over to pc to push the power button down for 8 seconds every time I want to turn it off.

Dexter.Boneham
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LMDE Cinnamon won't stay off at powerdown/shutdown

Post by Dexter.Boneham » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:27 am

Had the same problem - my desktop running Mint Cinnamon would restart instead of shutdown. It didn't matter whetther I used the normal on-screen shutdown buttons or ALL the various shutdown commands on a terminal.
Later found that it was fixed by first unplugging all usb-mounted drives. Unmounting them didn't fix it - they had to be unplugged.
I have been able to recreate this fault with a Seagate external disk drive and various usb solid state drives, so it's not just a fault in a single usb accessory.

PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Post by PatH57 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:41 am

some PCs have an option to keep power on usb devices even if shutdown (for example to charge a mobile phone)
check your bios if this is the case and disable it to test.
People disagree with me. I just ignore them.
(Linus Torvalds, regarding the use of C++ for the Linux kernel.)

Please Add [Solved] to the topic-title of your first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.

kurotsugi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by kurotsugi » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:03 am

please run 'sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade' and tell us the result.

PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Post by PatH57 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:55 am

Running apt-get dist-upgrade will generally update most, if not all, of the items that have been held back for a reason so may actually do more harm.
Make sure you have a solid backup before doing it.
People disagree with me. I just ignore them.
(Linus Torvalds, regarding the use of C++ for the Linux kernel.)

Please Add [Solved] to the topic-title of your first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.

kurotsugi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by kurotsugi » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:00 am

LMDE's repo is frozen from February. there's only small updates from mint's native repo.

zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Post by zerozero » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:48 am

PatH57 wrote:Running apt-get dist-upgrade will generally update most, if not all, of the items that have been held back for a reason so may actually do more harm.
Make sure you have a solid backup before doing it.
for the time being (with LMDE 1) dist-upgrade is the only way to properly maintain the system.
of course this will later this year with LMDE 2 where a "simple" upgrade will be enough.

[ bliss of ignorance ]

Return to “LMDE 1 Archive”