[solved] How to install Mixxx 1.11.0 on LMDE?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Transistor

[solved] How to install Mixxx 1.11.0 on LMDE?

Post by Transistor »

Hi there,

I use LMDE 201403 MATE 64bit and would like to use the newest version of Mixxx (digital DJ software), 1.11.0. But the version currently available in package manager is 1.10.1. So I'm looking for a clean way to install the 1.11.0.

The Mixxx developers operate an Ubuntu PPA: https://launchpad.net/~mixxx/+archive/ubuntu/mixxx
Might that work on LMDE - and, if yes, how do I have to install it?

There are also instruction how to compile Mixxx on other linux distros: http://mixxx.org/wiki/doku.php/compiling_on_linux
Would this be the right way to get the software? If yes, are the instructions applicable to LMDE?

On another site (http://www.tuxederivados.blogspot.de/20 ... vados.html) I found a way to add PPAs via add-apt-repository:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mixxx/mixxx
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mixxx libportaudio2
But I don't know if add-apt-repository is a safe on LMDE.

All in all, I'm looking for a solution which doesn't screw up my system.

Many thanks in advance,
Dietmar
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kurotsugi

Re: How to install Mixxx 1.11.0 on LMDE?

Post by kurotsugi »

There are also instruction how to compile Mixxx on other linux distros: http://mixxx.org/wiki/doku.php/compiling_on_linux
Would this be the right way to get the software? If yes, are the instructions applicable to LMDE?

I guess it is the safest method. the other, but risky method, is update your system and grab it from debian testing repo. it currently have the latest version.
Transistor

Post by Transistor »

Thanks for the information.
Why, maybe, is grabbing it from Debian testing repo a risky method?
Which line do I have to add to the sources.list (or additional-repositories.list) to do this?
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

If you decide to try installing from Debian Testing, you'll want to add this line in Synaptic:

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free

If you do that, be sure to check what all is going to be done before you click Apply. If it's going to remove a bunch of stuff, or even update a bunch of libs, you probably shouldn't do it.

The reason it can be dangerous to add the Testing repositories is that installing from Testing can remove or update libs and such that can make other software refuse to run anymore.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Transistor

Post by Transistor »

Let's say, I add Debian Testing repos: Can the package manager already get confused by the "apt-get update" command (which, I think, is executed by Synaptic), or could problems only appear after clicking "apply" in Synaptic?

Would it be safer to build my own "repository" on my hard disk by generating a repo-style folder structure and copying the .deb file to it? I could also generate the Packages.gz and Release files on my own by extracting the mixxx-relevant parts of the original files.
What about that?
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I don't know enough about the .deb system to answer those questions, I guess. But there are people here who know much more than I, and hopefully they will chime in.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Transistor

Post by Transistor »

I thought of setting up my own temporary repository on my hard disk containing only the Mixxx packages.

So I looked in the Packages.gz file in the Debian repos (http://ftp2.de.debian.org/debian/dists/ ... nary-i386/) and looked at the dependencies:

Package: mixxx
Version: 1.11.0~dfsg-4
Installed-Size: 7614
Maintainer: Debian Multimedia Maintainers <pkg-multimedia-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Depends: libqt4-sql-sqlite, mixxx-data (= 1.11.0~dfsg-4), libc6 (>= 2.15), libfftw3-double3, libflac8 (>= 1.3.0), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1), libgl1-mesa-glx | libgl1, libglu1-mesa | libglu1, libid3tag0 (>= 0.15.1b), libmad0 (>= 0.15.1b-3), libogg0 (>= 1.0rc3), libportaudio2 (>= 19+svn20101113), libportmidi0, libprotobuf-lite9, libqt4-network (>= 4:4.5.3), libqt4-opengl (>= 4:4.6.1), libqt4-script (>= 4:4.6.1), libqt4-sql (>= 4:4.5.3), libqt4-svg (>= 4:4.5.3), libqt4-xml (>= 4:4.5.3), libqt4-xmlpatterns (>= 4:4.5.3), libqtcore4 (>= 4:4.8.0), libqtgui4 (>= 4:4.8.0), libshout3, libsndfile1 (>= 1.0.20), libsoundtouch0 (>= 1.8.0), libstdc++6 (>= 4.9), libtag1c2a (>= 1.6-2~), libusb-1.0-0 (>= 2:1.0.8), libvamp-hostsdk3, libvamp-sdk2, libvorbis0a (>= 1.1.2), libvorbisenc2 (>= 1.1.2), libvorbisfile3 (>= 1.1.2), libx11-6
First, I searched for all dependencies with Synaptic (WITHOUT adding Debian Testing to the sources.list) and found out:
libprotobuf-lite9 - not avaliable
libsoundtouch0 - only 1.7.1-4 available
libstdc++6 - only 4.8.2-1 available

I could get the three mentioned packages also from the Debian Testing repos, but the libstdc++6 is a dependency of many installed packages and I am not sure if it is safe to update it from 4.8.2-1 (which is installed) to 4.9 (which is requested by Mixxx).

Could someone give any advice?
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Sorry if I missed this, but have you tried simply downloading the .deb and installing it directly? Click on the source folder and find the proper architecture deb.

https://launchpad.net/~mixxx/+archive/u ... /+packages

(I have done this sucessfully several times with debs for lmde). gdebi will look for and show what depends you might need, install them automagically and tell if it will work... :wink:
No need to add repo (this can cause probs unless you know what your doing)...specifically if you forget to turn it off and upgrade... :shock:

PS

I'd try the newest first (saucy), then if it doesn't work next in line, et.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

GeneC wrote:Sorry if I missed this, but have you tried simply downloading the .deb and installing it directly? Click on the source folder and find the proper architecture deb.

https://launchpad.net/~mixxx/+archive/u ... /+packages

(I have done this sucessfully several times with debs for lmde). gdebi will look for and show what depends you might need, install them automagically and tell if it will work... :wink:
No need to add repo (this can cause probs unless you know what your doing)...specifically if you forget to turn it off and upgrade... :shock:

PS

I'd try the newest first (saucy), then if it doesn't work next in line, et.
but, but :shock:
why advise an ubuntu option (that we should know it's not recommended for LMDE, to put it mildly) when above a proper debian deb is already being discussed?
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

Why, maybe, is grabbing it from Debian testing repo a risky method?
Which line do I have to add to the sources.list (or additional-repositories.list) to do this?
it's dangerous because current LMDE was made in February and several things will broke if you upgrade your system. cinnamon will definetely die. I also saw several reports about the dangerous situation upgrading MATE on LMDE. it's quite tricky to upgrade current LMDE to testing. IMO the safest method for you is build the package by yourself.
Transistor

Post by Transistor »

Ok, I'd like to try to compile it myself. But I believe this will fail due to missing packages. Even for compiling myself, I have to install several packages (according to the instructions http://mixxx.org/wiki/doku.php/compiling_on_linux which I mentioned already above):

sudo apt-get build-dep mixxx 
sudo apt-get install git scons libqt4-dev libqt4-sql-sqlite libportmidi-dev libshout-dev libtag1-dev libprotobuf-dev protobuf-compiler libvamp-hostsdk3 vamp-plugin-sdk libusb-1.0-0-dev libfftw3-dev libmad0-dev portaudio19-dev libchromaprint-dev librubberband-dev
sudo apt-get install libfaad-dev libmp4v2-dev # required for M4A support
The package libshout-dev is needed, which I can't get with Synaptic.

Furthermore, I believe that, even if I compile myself, I need the same dependencies as when installing a precompiled deb, don't I? If yes, I would miss libprotobuf-lite9 and would have libsoundtouch0 and libstdc++6 in too old versions.

It seems that, in every case, I have to extend the sources.list to get packages directly from Debian testing.

Are my assumptions right?
Transistor

Post by Transistor »

Does anyone have another idea on this? Ary my assumptions about missing dependencies correct?
Is it true that I have to add Debian Testing repository to my sources.list to get ahead in this case?

Thanks,
Dietmar
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

libshout isn't exist on debian but it should have been replaced with libshout3-dev.
Furthermore, I believe that, even if I compile myself, I need the same dependencies as when installing a precompiled deb, don't I?
no. if you build something the dependencies will be changed so that it would match your system. you need to keep on eye about the build-dependencies because some software might require newer compiler or newer dev-packages.
Transistor

Post by Transistor »

When I try to "build-dep", I get the following:

myusername@laptop:~$ sudo apt-get build-dep mixxx
[sudo] password for myusername: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: You must put some 'source' URIs in your sources.list
How can I get ahead in this case :?: Add Debian Testing? :?
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

check whether if you have a source code repo on your repo list.
Transistor

Post by Transistor »

Ok, thanks.
But, could you tell me how to find out which the right repo is? I added the following to my additional-repositories.list

deb-src http://packages.linuxmint.com debian main upstream import 
deb-src http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/ testing main contrib non-free
deb-src http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/multimedia testing main non-free
deb-src http://extra.linuxmint.com debian main
but apt-get build-dep still shows the same error message as in my previous post. :(
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

try with this one.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get build-dep mixxx
Transistor

Post by Transistor »

Thanks for reminding me to execute

sudo apt-get update
first!

Now I was able to successfully build Mixxx!

There is one problem, though.
When Mixxx is running, it is neither possible to use other audio applications like Banshee, nor to hear the sound of Youtube videos, for instance. As soon as I close Mixxx, the sound from other applications can be played again.

Does someone know the reason for this behaviour?
Transistor

Post by Transistor »

I will mark this as "resolved" an ask the remaining question elsewhere.

Thanks again for helping.
gotgot71

Re: [solved] How to install Mixxx 1.11.0 on LMDE?

Post by gotgot71 »

Hello,
I'm using Mint Since a few month.
I install Mixxx a few days ago to listen music "automatically" during a home party. But I have problem with the time Mixxx wait until pass to the seconds song. I discover on the forum of Mixxx.org that the newst version can adapt the time before it change the song.
So, i'm trying to install the newest version, and I read your comments in this forum. But I'm a new user of Linux.... ;-)
So after I read your discussions, I see the way to charge the new version in the console, but the computer ask me the same question than you, but I don't understand the way you have fond the solution with the "source.list".
This is what I read:

tata@tata-LIFEBOOK-NH570 ~ $ sudo apt-get build-dep mixxx
Lecture des listes de paquets... Fait
Construction de l'arbre des dépendances       
Lecture des informations d'état... Fait
E: Vous devez insérer quelques adresses « sources » dans votre sources.list
Thank you for your help!

Return to “LMDE Archive”