Archived topics about LMDE 1
Forum rules
LMDE 2 support ends on 1-1-2019
dld
Level 1
Level 1

Audio in a new Asus X550 laptop running LMDE

Post by dld » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:57 am

I have been running Linux versions for many years, LMDE for over a year, and always stumbled onto settings under System->Prefs->Sound and Alsamixer to get the sound I needed. But my new laptop has a built in mic and camera, and I would like to use Google Hangouts. Can't. I get nothing out of the mike and the speakers work sometime.

Using Audacity to capture, I can get very low volume speech from the mike when I set InputDevices->Port to 'Microphone' rather than 'Internal microphone' in pauvcontrol. One other very strange thing: If I use the mike and camera in Google Hangouts when running Windows 8.1, and the reboot to LMDE, at the point in the reboot where a click is normally heard from the speakers I get the loud screeching that we use to hear when a microphone was placed in front of a speaker.. The only way I have found to kill it is to remove the battery pack.

I really don't understand the ALSA sound system and various mixers and volume controls that are available. The most basic question that I can ask is "How do I turn on the built-in microphone?" But more general advice would be greatly appreciated.

jansef
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Audio in a new Asus X550 laptop running LMDE

Post by jansef » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:09 am

Hi, I also have Asus X550L, LM17 Qiana with Cinnamon, no input from the microphone. :-(

Linux mysystem 3.13.0-24-generic #47-Ubuntu SMP Fri May 2 23:30:00 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

jansef
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Audio in a new Asus X550 laptop running LMDE

Post by jansef » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:18 am

Hi "dld",

I could not solve it to my satisfaction. I bought an USB SoundBlaster card and connect a mike to it. It is silly to carry another gadget with you - I know.

Best regards,
Jan

Return to “LMDE 1 Archive”