Forum rules
LMDE 2 support ends on 1-1-2019
brusers
Level 1
Level 1

Cinnamon window focus while minimizing

Post by brusers » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:14 am

Hello, first time poster here.

An issue with the window focus order, or something related, has been driving me a bit crazy, and I'm trying for a solution here after unsuccessful searching.
I'm not sure if this is a bug or by design. It happens on my desktop and my laptop.
I have the latest and greatest mint debian, Cinnamon 2.0.14. I'll try to explain the situation with a couple examples.

Example 1.. I open a terminal, I open another terminal, I open firefox. I click the first terminal into focus, and minimize it. The second terminal comes into focus and moves to the foreground. (the firefox should come into focus if done by order of window opening).

Example 2.. I open a terminal, I open another terminal, I open firefox. I do NOT click the first terminal into focus, but straight away click its minimize. The firefox comes back into focus. (I would assume this is correct, as it is the order in which I had them in focus).

Example 3.. I open a terminal, I open another terminal, I open firefox. I click the first terminal into focus (or not), and click close instead of minimize. The firefox comes into focus. (I would assume this is correct).

I would like example 1 to act like examples 2 and 3, with the firefox coming back into focus because it was the window in focus before the terminal I am minimizing. Is there anyway to adjust this?

Thanks,

Marcel

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Cinnamon window focus while minimizing

Post by austin.texas » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:00 am

As far as I know, bringing focus to windows in the order they were opened is not an option. Focus goes to the most recent one you were using.
I can't reproduce your example #1
Apart from that, you can change the focus behavior to see if a different setting works better for you:
If you open System Settings > Windows and look at Window Focus Mode, you will see that there are 3 choices:
Click - you have to click on the window
Sloppy - hovering the mouse on a window brings focus, no click needed
Mouse - almost the same as Sloppy, but will lose focus on the window when you move the mouse off the window
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

brusers
Level 1
Level 1

Post by brusers » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:31 am

Hey,
Yes, I meant in the order of most recent, not necessarily the order of being opened, just for clarification, thanks.
I was hoping someone could replicate this example number 1, it's strange, it happens on my desktop at work, desktop at home, and my laptop.
About the focus modes.. everything seems fine if I use sloppy or mouse.. the problem does not exist. But I definitely like the click mode the best.
I have a bad habit of moving the mouse over to where I'm looking, which is not always where I'm typing..
I tried it for a few days just to get away from this strange problem, and I could not deal.
Would you know if there are any system files I can modify this behavior with?
Thanks for the reply, thus far..

brusers
Level 1
Level 1

Post by brusers » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:17 am

ok, so this looks like the same problem here.. https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/issues/642
Solution = get cinnamon 2.2 somehow.
If anyone knows of a clever way of doing that for LMDE, please post it.
I've tried cloning the git repos and building it, but I'm running into an army of dependency problems.
If I figure it out soon, I'll go ahead and post it here for others..

Marcel

herbie643
Level 3
Level 3

Post by herbie643 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:55 am

Don't know if you would call this 'clever' but I initially started out with LMDE and then I went to the 'Dark Side'. I changed my repositories to point to SID.
I am now running Cinnamon 2.2.16 and do not have the issue you speak of.

Follow the instructions on the post
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... ng#p678005

I did, and all worked well.
I have been running SID for months now and no problems to speak of.
Well there was one. One upgrade hosed the Locale area and apt-list-bugs fails.
I found the problem and moved on.
That was over 3mos ago and no problems since.
BUT BE AWARE
If you move to SID you had best be ready to diagnose problems if they occur.
If you are not confident with 'digging in' to find the problem, then I guess SID might not be the best course of action for you.

brusers
Level 1
Level 1

Post by brusers » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:34 am

The dark side.. :)
I actually threw in the repos for jessie, and installed cinnamon. I had some company come over, so i didn't test it.
I just locked my screen and went back to it the next morning. My keyboard did not work to unlock the screen.
Then I thought it probably just needed a reboot.. and I got the grub error command line.
When I was going through updates, I must have specified the wrong partition to install the grub on.. whatever.
So instead of trying to figure it all out, I actually got curious and decided to install Debian jessie, and then install cinnamon.
It's working just fine. Though there are some slight differences from Mint. Can't say that I'm happier or not. LMDE is definitely good to go.
I still have LMDE installed on my desktop at home, and at work.. I'm either going to wait until the cinnamon 2 is release as an update, or try your link there.
I've read several places that it works just fine.
So thanks for the link, I'll check it out. I appreciate the reply.

Marcel

herbie643
Level 3
Level 3

Post by herbie643 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:35 am

You're quite welcome and good luck if you decided to go to the 'Dark side'..

Return to “LMDE 1 Archive”