Changing Desktop/ Browser Icon Size

Archived topics about LMDE 1
Zem
Level 1
Level 1

Changing Desktop/ Browser Icon Size

Post by Zem » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:53 am

Hello all. New user here.

I have installed LMDE on a new lenovo 14" notebook (Y40) and its great, but everything is so tiny it is hard to read. I can change the size of fonts, no problem. But how do I change the default desktop Icon size? Or how do I get programs like Thunderbird and Firefox to open with larger icons (easier to read toolbar icons) by default?

There is a lot out there about changing font sizes but I'm stumped on changing the desktop environment size. On my old Inspiron 1520 15" the icons are a "normal" easy to read size.

Thank you for the help.

Zem

Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Changing Desktop/ Browser Icon Size

Post by Fornhamfred » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:29 pm

Which version of LMDE are you using i.e Mate, Cinnamon etc?

Zem
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Zem » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:21 pm

MATE.

Thank you.

- Zem

py-thon
Level 4
Level 4

Post by py-thon » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:27 pm

As to the desktop icons: you can control their size with caja using the setting in edit>preferences>views>icon view
But the change comes with a delay and seems to be erroneous. In my case 100% is bigger than 150%.

With regard to toolbars in programs: there is an entry in dconf-Editor called org>desktop>interface>toolbar icons size which can be set to either small or large. According to the description this should be it. But as large is the standard it probably won't help in your case.

Edit: Sorry, might be different in your case. I just realised that LMDE still uses Mate 1.6.
Tower: Sparky 64 bit Mate+mintmenu - Netbook: Sparky 32 bit Mate+mintmenu

Return to “LMDE 1 Archive”