Archived topics about LMDE 1
Forum rules
LMDE 2 support ends on 1-1-2019
scottjge
Level 4
Level 4

How to convert Debian into LMDE?

Post by scottjge » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:40 pm

Hi everyone, I have Debian wheezy installed on my computer and was wondering if there is any way to convert to LMDE ? I am finding that Debian might be stable but that is about all that I can say for it. No matter what I try to install I get nothing but errors that has to do with the older software. I am no genius but I do know that it isn't for me.

Maybe what I want to do isn't possible and if not I will have to do a clean install of LMDE.

Any help and/or advise would be appreciated.

scotty
Last edited by karlchen on Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: added "convert Debian into LMDE" to the original title, so it will tell more clearly what the thread is about

kc1di
Level 13
Level 13

Re: How to convert Debian into LMDE?

Post by kc1di » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:40 am

Hi,
If it were me I'd do a fresh install of LMDE. there are enough differences and it would take so long to change all the parameters that
a fresh install would be easiest IMHO.
good luck
Easy tips : https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

py-thon
Level 4
Level 4

Post by py-thon » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:26 am

scottjge wrote:I have Debian wheezy installed on my computer and was wondering if there is any way to convert to LMDE ?
Why would anyone want to do such a stupid thing (sorry)? Debian Wheezy is a stable and maintained system. LMDE is stable but not really maintained anymore.
Why don't you wait for Jessie to become stable? Some time later LMDE 2 will probably be released and LMDE might become an alternative again. I would advise a fresh install in any case.
If you are looking for current packages you might consider running Debian Testing, which on my system runs as stable as LMDE did (or better). As far as I know there are no live-DVDs of Debian Testing itself, but you can get one in the form of Sparky Linux.
Tower: Sparky 64 bit Mate+mintmenu - Netbook: Sparky 32 bit Mate+mintmenu

3fRI
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 3fRI » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:14 am

There's no point in trying to convert Debian Wheezy into LMDE, unless you have too much time on your hands. If you want bleeding edge, updated software, I recommend upgrading Wheezy to sid/unstable, which IHMO is more stable than testing and you can update/upgrade regularly. Check the Debian forums about how to upgrade Debian from stable to unstable. It's very easy and only take a few minutes.

Another option--if you want to stick with a Debian base--is to try Siduction or Vsido, both of which are based on Debian sid/unstable. The blessing and curse of Linux is that you have countless choices. Good luck and enjoy! :)
System 76 Pangolin: 4x Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60GHz, Manjaro 15.12 Capella Xfce/Cinnamon 64-bit
iMac 21.5: Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06 GHz, Mac OS 10.11

[iWhat? Me worry?[/i]

scottjge
Level 4
Level 4

Post by scottjge » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:03 am

Sorry for the delay and getting back to you, been away and just getting back. Thank you both for your suggestions and insight. I will check out your ideas and see what I come up with.

Thanks again,

scotty

Return to “LMDE 1 Archive”