After upgrade, MSI laptop freezes during shut down.

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Pio2001
Level 1
Level 1

After upgrade, MSI laptop freezes during shut down.

Post by Pio2001 »

Hi,
I've upgraded from LMDE 1 to LMDE 2 following this tutorial : http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2013

The upgrade was successful, but now, 4 times out of 5, it freezes when I try to shut down.

The computer is an MSI GE60 laptop. When I want to shut down the computer (button "éteindre" in french, at the far right of the shut down options), all applications close, the desktop launchers disappear from the screen, but the wallpaper remains displayed and the computer doesn't shut down.
The fans of the computer then begin to accelerate, as if a process was stuck in an endless loop. After several minutes, I have to force the shut down holding the power button pressed.

I had never experienced this with LMDE 1.
Sometimes, LMDE 2 shuts down properly. And once, it shut down after about 30 seconds while I thought it was frozen again.

What can I do to try to identify where the problem comes from ?

During the boot, some error messages are displayed after the grub screen and before Linux starts. Some were already present in LMDE 1 but I think that there are some more in LMDE 2. They disappear too fast for me to read them.

Sometimes, when the computer actually shuts down, I can see, for a very short time, a full screen of white text on black background after the wallpaper disappears and before the actual shutdown.

Thanks for your help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pio2001
Level 1
Level 1

Re: After upgrade, MSI laptop freezes during shut down.

Post by Pio2001 »

Hi,
The problem is still here. Is there a way to investigate ? A log file somewhere that could provide informations ?

Thanks for any help.
kevinthefixer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kevinthefixer »

Try /var/log/syslog, or maybe mintsystem.log. No guarantees.
Pio2001
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Pio2001 »

Thanks !

Wow ! There are indeed a lot of info in syslog.1

So much that I don't know where to begin. I've isolated the part that was recorded during the shutdown (see attachment). It ends abruptly with many \00 chars, obviously because I eventually forced the electrical shutdown, and that interrupted the writing of the file.

It features endless repetition of three kind of lines :
  • Some about USB not responding,
  • some about a "canary thread starving" (I hope no animals are hurt during the process :shock: !),
  • and some about "rcu_sched detected stalls on CPUs/tasks".
At it goes on endlessly, but with minor variations.

From time to time, a message says :
msi kernel: [23854.438538] Watchdog detected hard LOCKUP on cpu 2
or also
msi kernel: [23887.297340] BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for 22s! [plymouthd:7085]

I'm afraid this is beyong my technical understanding. Has the watchdog eaten the canary ?
kevinthefixer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kevinthefixer »

That one's by me also. But do you have a thumbdrive inserted, or perhaps an SD card in a slot? If so try unmounting it before shutdown. I know it's a shot in the dark but it's all I got.
Pio2001
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Pio2001 »

Hi,
No, the only USB device connected is the mouse. I tried to disconnect it during the shutdown, but it remained hung.

Here are the UBS settings of the motherboard. Are they correct ?

XHCI mode = Enabled
Legacy USB support = Enabled
BIOS USB 3.0 support = Enabled
XHCI Hand off = Enabled
EHCI Hand off = Disabled
USB mass storage driver support = Enabled.

Here are some other hardware settings :
SATA mode = AHCI
Intel speedstep = Enabled
CFG lock = Enabled
VT-d = Enabled

Return to “LMDE Archive”