How to install without Windows partition

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
John Poot

How to install without Windows partition

Post by John Poot »

Problem for me.
During install I'm presented with an option to manually partition as the only way to NOT install a Windows partition. There are threats present about making a new UUID, or whatever that is etc etc.
Excuse me, but I want nothing windows on my machine. 8)
Is there an option that lets me do that in the "simple install" category?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: How to install without Windows partition

Post by jimallyn »

You don't have an option to take over the whole drive?
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

John Poot wrote:i realize i have to use a usb but i cant find a iso install that works well
with linux ive tried booting pendrive with wine it wont find my usb i tried
unetbootin and it wont find the iso files do you know of any compatible
installers for linux
It is generally best if you respond in the forums rather than by email. That way, others can also pitch in with a solution to your problem, and others with similar problems can benefit from the thread on the forums.

I think you're missing the basics here: You don't boot the USB from Windows, or from Wine, or from Linux, or from anywhere else. You burn the .iso to a DVD or USB stick, and reboot the computer. The operating system will be loaded from the DVD/USB and run. You don't need to have Windows, or Linux, or anything else on the computer, and if you do, you don't want to boot into them. You will never find a solution if you continue to try to run the .iso file from Windows or Wine within Linux.

Or are you saying you can't find the .iso file to burn to the DVD/USB? If so, you can find all versions of Linux Mint here:

http://www.linuxmint.com/download_all.php

Pick the version you want and download it.

Or are you saying you can't get the .iso file onto a DVD or USB? Whatever operating system you currently have, it will have a CD/DVD burning program. Use that to burn the .iso image to a DVD. If you only have a USB stick and can't use a DVD, then you need a USB image writer program. In Mint, you'd click Menu, Accessories, USB Image Writer and use that to write the downloaded image to the USB stick. If the computer you are currently using only has Windows on it, you'll have to find similar software for Windows. I don't use Windows, so I don't know what USB image writer software is available for Windows.

I noticed that you posted in the LMDE section of the forums. Are you trying to install the Linux Mint Debian Edition, or the standard Linux Mint 17 version? I'm guessing that you are a newcomer to Linux, in which case you might be better off with Linux Mint 17.2, rather than Linux Mint Debian Edition.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
John Poot

Post by John Poot »

Nope. This is LMDE Cinnamon I'm playing with. The installer 'insists' on a windows partition during the auto partitioning. IOW, If i want to partition the HDD, then I cop a windows partition.
I didn't try it, but it may be possible to miss the partitioning step somehow, But I'm terrified of what that would do:-)

Return to “LMDE Archive”