[SOLVED] PAM unable to dlopen(pam_cap.so)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Hansl
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] PAM unable to dlopen(pam_cap.so)

Post by Hansl »

I have to admit that on this one machine I did bungle the upgrade from LMDE to LMDE2:  Stupid me forgot Step 1, pointing the the APT sources to Jessie before doing the rest up to dist-upgrade…  When I finally noticed this, I repeated the process correctly and it seems to be quite fine now — except an authentication problem:  mintupdate, auto-mounting of USB-drives and shutting down do not work anymore, I have to sudo these.

Looking in /var/log/auth.log I find lines like
PAM unable to dlopen(pam_cap.so): /lib/security/pam_cap.so: Kann die Shared-Object-Datei nicht öffnen: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
Obviously PAM's setup got mixed up. Any ideas how I could fix this now?

Thanks, Hans

(Yes I know a fresh install would have been better. But on a heavily used machine it is a LOT of work to set it up again like before. So I very much like rolling releases!)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Zill

Re: PAM unable to dlopen(pam_cap.so)

Post by Zill »

I suggest you first back-up the original PAM config for safety and then reconfigure PAM to defaults with the following two commands:

Code: Select all

sudo cp -a /etc/pam.d /etc/pam.d_bak
sudo pam-auth-update --force
Beware that this does change files in pam.d, so if you have a customized PAM configuration, prepare to be able to compare the changes done and fix things afterwards.
Hansl
Level 3
Level 3

Re: PAM unable to dlopen(pam_cap.so)

Post by Hansl »

Yay! All is well again, thank you Zill!
pam-auth-update made its own backup copies *.pam-old so the first step wasn't needed at all.
Just for information, the changed files/lines in /etc/pam.d were —
• in  common-auth  removal of  auth optional pam_cap.so
• in  common-password  from  pam_mate_keyring.so  to  pam_gnome_keyring.so
• in  common-session  added  session optional pam_systemd.so

Thanks again, Hans
Hansl
Level 3
Level 3

Re: [SOLVED] PAM unable to dlopen(pam_cap.so)

Post by Hansl »

I just read http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 4&t=206953 — the cause probably was not me being sloppy, but that I changed to mirror repos during upgrade! Well, I'm relieved, no Alzheimer yet after all…

Return to “LMDE Archive”