What was in the last big update...[SOLVED]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
webtarget
Level 3
Level 3

What was in the last big update...[SOLVED]

Post by webtarget »

A week ago or maybe two, there was an update and a lot of applications were upgraded.

After that, my desktop size became bigger than my physical screen and I can't see the edges. Not sure if anyone remembers this update. But, is there a way to find out what was in that update so I can try and figure out possibly how to roll back an update that I think is causing the issue?

I'm using LMDE 64 Mate. Using my Sharp TV 52" as the monitor and I have a AMD Radeon 6950.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cholq

Re: What was in the last big update...

Post by cholq »

In your update manager, you can see a list of previous updates. It is under the View menu -> History of Updates
webtarget
Level 3
Level 3

Post by webtarget »

Perfect, thanks.

I can see that my flgrx driver was updated. That's probably what caused the issue.

Can you tell me how I can roll it back?
cholq

Post by cholq »

reverting to a previous version of a driver is outside of my area of expertise. I'll let someone else with a little more experience handle that part of your question.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

It was the release of Debian 8.3 (point release).

Various applications were updated (security and bug fixes).
https://www.debian.org/News/2016/20160123
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

like the windows system - you need to be running a dedicated program to "roll back"
otherwise, like the windows system, it's a remove & re-install scenario.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
webtarget
Level 3
Level 3

Post by webtarget »

This is really unfortunate. It's quite annoying to work with the desktop edges off the screen.

I guess I'll have to re-install 8.2, then update everything except the video drivers. Seems like a lot, but, I had issues with my Citrix after installing Teamviewer. Purging Teamviewer and re-installing Citrix didn't fix it either and now I have to switch to Windows to log into work. So I guess this is one more reason to do a re-install.
bvhoesel

Post by bvhoesel »

Sound more like the TV is now set to 'overscan'. This is the normal behavior of TV's depending on the video signal is gets. Most used with DVD and BD disk players. It clips 'a few' pixels from the original image. See if you can set a 'computer' mode on your TV input. Or if you can disable scaling of the input.
webtarget
Level 3
Level 3

Re: How to fix desktop that doesn't fit screen

Post by webtarget »

Thanks to the last post. Because of the overscan and continuing to google about it with other keywords, I figured it out. No re-install needed (which means my Citrix still won't work - dilemma's :)

Anyways, I installed the ATI/Radeon control panel and in Display Manager > HDTV > Predefined and Custom HDTV formats. Follow the instructions in the window and you'll end up adjusting the screen, which makes your desktop fit.

I also installed the fglrx drivers non-free for AMD before doing any of this. If you followed this whole thread, I'm basically implying that the 8.3 update is fine. But, you should install the control panel as well. It's in Synaptic Package Manager.

Return to “LMDE Archive”