Mult. erratic probs, stuck for good at caja / engrampa

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Sydney

Mult. erratic probs, stuck for good at caja / engrampa

Post by Sydney »

Every time I try to update from LMDE1 to LMDE2 I seem to encounter different issues.
I have no idea if they are important or can be ignored. Also, I got stuck for good on my 3rd try (caja / engrampa - see below). Help please ?? Thank you.

The first time around this was the problem:
A1
G-Conf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon: ...GConf Error: No D-BUS daemon running
for details, see this link:
viewtopic.php?f=234&t=220505&p=1156839#p1156839

After posting this problem and not having received any input, I restored LMDE1 and tried updating again. This time around I had the following problems:

B1. Processing triggers for gconf2 (3.2.6-1)...
WARNING: node <gettext_domain> not understood below <schema>
(the WARNING was listed 32 times and the note popped up twice).

B2. Preparing to unpack ... /packagekit_1.0.1-2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking packagekit (1.0.1-2) over (0.0.12-1) ...
dpkg: warning: unable to delete old directory '/etc/PackageKit/events/pre-transaction.d': Directory not empty
dpkg: warning: unable to delete old directory '/etc/PackageKit/events/post-transaction.d': Directory not empty
dpkg: warning: unable to delete old directory '/etc/PackageKit/events': Directory not empty

B3. dpkg: warning: unable to delete old directory '/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants': Directory not empty

B4. No such key 'menus-have-icons' in scheme 'org.gnome.desktop.interface' as specified in override file 'usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/debian-system-adjustments-gschema.override': ignoring override for this key.
No such key 'menus-have-icons' in scheme 'org.gnome.desktop.interface' as specified in override file 'usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/mint-artwork-mate.gschema.override': ignoring override for this key.

B5. libkmod: ERROR ../libkmod/libkmod-config.c:673 kmod_config_parse: /etc/modprobe.d/thinkfan.conf line 2: ingoring bad line starting with 'sudo"
libkmod: ERROR ../libkmod/libkmod-config.c:673 kmod_config_parse: /etc/modprobe.d/thinkfan.conf line 3: ingoring bad line starting with 'sudo"
libkmod: ERROR ../libkmod/libkmod-config.c:673 kmod_config_parse: /etc/modprobe.d/thinkfan.conf line 4: ingoring bad line starting with 'sudo"

B6. this is not an error, but confusing:
Configuration file '/etc/plymouth/plymouthd.conf' == > Modified (by you or by a script) since installation. ==> Package distributor has shipped an updated version. What would you like to do about it ? Your options are: Install the package maintainter's version / keep your currently installed version / show the differences between the versions / start a shell to examine the situation. The default action is to keep your current version.
Question: why should I not update this ? There were a total of 3 of these instances (see below).

I aborted the installation here. Why that D-BUS problem from my first attempt did not re-occur I do not know, but it came back again on the next try:

C1.
(gconftool-2:25632): GConf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:
Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken
(the WARNING was listed 32 times)
Processing triggers for menu (2.1.46) ...

And almost the same warning came up again a little further down.
(gconftool-2:29342): GConf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:
Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken
(the WARNING was listed 32 times)
Processing triggers for cups (1.7.5-11+deb8u1) ...

However, this: "GConf Error: No D-BUS daemon running" from the first attempt did not come up again.

C2: Unpacking imagemagick-common (8:6.8.9.9-5+deb8u1) over (8.6.7.7.10-6) ...
dpkg: warning: unable to delete old directory '/etc/ImageMagick': Directory not empty
Selecting previously unselected package libmagickcore-6.q16-2:amd64

C3: was the same as B4:
No such key 'menus-have-icons' in scheme 'org.gnome.desktop.interface' as specified in override file 'usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/debian-system-adjustments-gschema.override': ignoring override for this key.
No such key 'menus-have-icons' in scheme 'org.gnome.desktop.interface' as specified in override file 'usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/mint-artwork-mate.gschema.override': ignoring override for this key.

C4: was the same as B2:
Preparing to unpack ... /packagekit_1.0.1-2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking packagekit (1.0.1-2) over (0.0.12-1) ...
dpkg: warning: unable to delete old directory '/etc/PackageKit/events/pre-transaction.d': Directory not empty
dpkg: warning: unable to delete old directory '/etc/PackageKit/events/post-transaction.d': Directory not empty
dpkg: warning: unable to delete old directory '/etc/PackageKit/events': Directory not empty

C5: the same as C3 (see above)

C6: same as B3:
dpkg: warning: unable to delete old directory '/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants': Directory not empty

C7: the same as C3 and C5 (see above)

C8: Unknown media type in type 'all/all'
Unknown media type in type 'all/allfiles'
Unknown media type in type 'uri/mms'
Unknown media type in type 'uri/mmst'
Unknown media type in type 'uri/mmsu'
Unknown media type in type 'uri/pnm'
Unknown media type in type 'uri/ptspt'
Unknown media type in type 'uri/ptspu'

C9: same as B5:
libkmod: ERROR ../libkmod/libkmod-config.c:673 kmod_config_parse: /etc/modprobe.d/thinkfan.conf line 2: ingoring bad line starting with 'sudo"
libkmod: ERROR ../libkmod/libkmod-config.c:673 kmod_config_parse: /etc/modprobe.d/thinkfan.conf line 3: ingoring bad line starting with 'sudo"
libkmod: ERROR ../libkmod/libkmod-config.c:673 kmod_config_parse: /etc/modprobe.d/thinkfan.conf line 4: ingoring bad line starting with 'sudo"

C10: same as B6 (regarding plymouth)

C11: C9 again, repeated about 30 times

C12: Configuration file '/etc/issue' == > Modified (by you or by a script) since installation. ==> Package distributor has shipped an updated version. What would you like to do about it ? Your options are: Install the package maintainter's version / keep your currently installed version / show the differences between the versions / start a shell to examine the situation. The default action is to keep your current version.
Question: Why would I not update this ?

C13: Configuration file '/etc/issue.net' == > Modified (by you or by a script) since installation. ==> Package distributor has shipped an updated version. What would you like to do about it ? Your options are: Install the package maintainter's version / keep your currently installed version / show the differences between the versions / start a shell to examine the situation. The default action is to keep your current version.
Question: Why should I not update this ?

C14: C3/C5/C7 again

C15: C3/C5/C7/C14 again
immediately followed by:

C16: dpkg: mate-settings-daemon-pulse: dependency problems, but removing anyway as you requested:
mate-settings-daemon depends on mate-settings-daemon-gstreamer (>= 1.6.1-1-mate1+lmde) I mate-settings-daemon-pulse (>=1.6-1-1-mate1-lmde): however:
Package mate-settings-daemon-gstreamer is not installed
Package mate-settings-daemon-pulse is to be removed

C17: C3/C5/C7/C14 /C15 again
immediately followed by:

C18:
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme (0.13-1) ...
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.58) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.22-1) ...
dpkg: libcaja-extension: dependency problems, but removing anyway as you requested:
caja depends on libcaja-extension (= 1.6.2-3+lmde).
caja-gksu depends on libcaja-extension
engrampa dpends on libcja-extension.

C19: C3/C5/C7/C14 /C15/C17 again

C20: C8 again

C21: Preparing to unpack .../engrampa-common_1.12.0-1+betsy_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking engrampa (1.12.0-1+betsy) over (1.6.0-1+lmde) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cach/apt/archives/engrampa_1-12-0-1+betsy_amd64.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite 'usr/share/applications/engrampa.desktop', which is also in package engrampa-common 1.6.0-1+lmde
Preparing to unpack .../engrampa-common_1.12.0-1+betsy_all.deb
Unpacking engrampa-common (1.12.0-1+betsy) over (1.6.0-1+lmde)

C22: C3/C5/C7/C14 /C15/C17/C19 again
immediately followed by:

C23:
Processing triggers for mate-icon-theme (1.6.2-1+lmde) ...
Processsing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme (0.13-1) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/engrampa_1.12.0-1+betsy_amd64_deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

I tried:
sudo dpkg -i --force-overwerite /var/cache/apt/archives/engramapa 1.12.0-1+betsy amd64.deb

which returned:
dpkg: dependency problems prevent cofiguration of engrampa:
engrampa depends on bzip2 (>= 1.9.1); however:
Package bzip2 is not configured yet
engrampa depends on caja-common; however:
Package caja-common is not configured yet
engrampa depends on engrampa-common (= 1.12.0-1+betsy); however:
Package engrampa-common is not configured yet.
engrampa depends on p7zip-full; however:
Package p7zip-full ist not configured yet
engrampa depends on libcaja-extension1; however:
Package libcaja-extension1:amd64 is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package engrampa (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
engrampa

LMDE1 3.11-2-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.1) MATE 1.6.1
(Live CD works fine, by the way)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kevinthefixer
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mult. erratic probs, stuck for good at caja / engrampa

Post by kevinthefixer »

When you have problems upgrading, the standard cure is a clean installation of the new system.
Sydney

Post by Sydney »

Yeah, except I specifically chose LMDE as my OS so that I NEVER had to do that.
Also, I am not one that plays around with the OS or install / deinstall a lot.
I do not understand how there can be such issues upgrading ?
kevinthefixer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kevinthefixer »

Operating systems are incredibly complicated, problem could be anything. One or two incompatible apps. A slightly off-color video card, or a Bluetooth dongle you forgot was in the back USB port. Mismatched RAM cards.

Whoever told you that you would never ever have to do a clean reinstall was misguided.

Return to “LMDE Archive”