LMDE Bug Reports Thread

Archived topics about LMDE 1
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Re: LMDE Bug Reports Thread

Post by darco » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:57 pm

mfdemicco wrote:Anyone else notice that fonts do not look as good in LMDE as they do in Mint 9? Specifically, in Google Chrome or Chromium Web browser. Do a search in Google and compare the quality of the fonts in the search results, which will illustrate the issue.

I set up anti-aliasing the same as in Mint 9, and installed the msttcorefonts.
I d/l Liberation Sans fonts and then pointed my browser to it and it looks a lot better. Yes the default fonts are ugly

kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:34 pm

pappfer wrote:
ghysmodos wrote:1. Firefox is in English, while I'm using the German version
Same for me. You can download the Firefox i18n file for your language from Synaptic, though.

ghysmodos wrote:4. Compiz does not work at all
I struggle with this, too. I downloaded the NVidia driver (195) from Synaptic but it didn't get better, I still get the following error message:

Code: Select all

Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
compiz (core) - Fatal: Root visual is not a GL visual
compiz (core) - Error: Failed to manage screen: 0
compiz (core) - Fatal: No manageable screens found on display :0.0

Launching fallback window manager
Check this post on the "Mint Debian" thread. It's how I got the 195 driver installed and compiz up and running. All in all you need several packages but all are in Synaptic. Compiz is already installed by default. It's just a bit of a trick to get everything running. HTH

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 20#p313600
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)

mtnbiker72
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mtnbiker72 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:08 am

-Synaptic Quick Search does not allow any input...I cant type anything into it

-Loses time settings on re-boot

-I second the grub background...blue on green is FUGLY!

I like everything else, it is the fastest Gnome distro I've tried
HP Probook 4530s
Linux Mint 17

edwinv
Level 2
Level 2

Post by edwinv » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:33 am

installed LMDE on a asus eeepc 1008p and all went well -- wireless is working - card reader is working - sound is working - updates went well -- there is only 1 issue - vlc does not play video files - i get a green background and i hear the sound but no video -- if i play the same video file with totem all goes well -- so there must be something missing in vlc -- i uninstalled vlc and reinstalled it , but same result

what can be missing here ?

eco2geek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eco2geek » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:17 am

I have 3 PATA drives in this box and was going to put LMDE on sdc3 (/) and sdc4 (/home).

Installer bug 1: When it asked which drive I wanted to install to, it only listed the drives by their sizes - e.g.
( ) 169
( ) 80
( ) 160

Bug 2: It didn't ask me if or where I wanted to mount the partitions on sda or sdb.
Bug 3: The installer crashed on "installing /dev/console" and had to be manually killed. I don't think it actually formatted the partition.
Bug 4: When it was indexing files to be installed, the progress graphic at the bottom of the installer literally flashed, rather than smoothly scrolling from side to side.

Wishlist: It'd be nice to be able to install GRUB to the partition, not to the MBR.

<edit> I used gparted to manually format both partitions (sdc3 had another distro installed on it) prior to running the LMDE installer, didn't tell the installer to format any partitions (it did anyway), and didn't tell the installer to mount sdc1 or sdc2. This time, the installer worked fine and here we are. Yeah, baby. Oh yeah.
Last edited by eco2geek on Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:41 am

apparently direct debian has a reputation for crappy font rendering (where as ubuntu and kubuntu, though not quite as good as windows are far superior in that regard)...see this year old post from the debian forums:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46550
Mint team TAKE NOTE!

eco2geek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eco2geek » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:30 am

Re: making your fonts look better - Don't forget to go to a console and, as root, run the command

dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig-config

and follow the prompts.

tux-sven
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tux-sven » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:48 am

Hey, first I must say I am very happy to be able to try this Debian-version.. :D
As I didn't know what quality it had, I installed on an USB-stick. First i tried with 5GB as "/" and ext2 and 11GB as "/home" and ext4, but the system couldn't accept the /home partition when I tried to run it. Then I made a new installation consisting of only one partition of ext2. It works rather fine and looks nice.
Notified so far:
- I can not get Compiz to work.
- Updating the system is extremely slow! (The processor is not much loaded and the RAM is used to 25% so i don't know what is the problem)

I downloaded it the 7 of September and there was about 265 packet updates. :wink:

Edit:

I must also tell you that LMDE starts very well on my Asus Aspire One - which Mint 9 Gnome didn't! :mrgreen:
I think it had to do with plymouth, causing me to have about 3-5 attempts every time to get it started. :twisted:
Last edited by tux-sven on Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

lonoy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lonoy » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:44 am

Install went fine. Downloaded updates then upon restarting the following error occurred when booting:

[ 67. 650383] Bug: soft lockup - CPU# 0 stuck for 61s! (modeprobe: 62)

Cheers

kwevej
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kwevej » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:53 am

craig10x wrote:
mfdemicco wrote:Anyone else notice that fonts do not look as good in LMDE as they do in Mint 9?... and installed the msttcorefonts.
Yep..i immediately ....m here...probably one of the "pieces" that the mint team will need to add in on their own, to make this comparable to the main edition...
Try that:
http://martin.ankerl.com/2009/01/22/bea ... buntu-810/

kwevej
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kwevej » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:54 am

EDIT it works now, after reboot ;)

After fixing compiz and installing compiz-fusion-plugins-extra and compiz-fusion-plugins-main,
desktop wall is not working,
ring switcher is not as well...etc

I guess it's just a problem with keyboard shortcuts...

EDIT it works now, after reboot ;)
Last edited by kwevej on Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

runbei
Level 3
Level 3

LMDE hangs on install

Post by runbei » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:46 am

Alas, LMDE hangs three-quarters of the way through the install. This is after partitioning, during the actual install. No way to describe symptoms - the progress bar simply freezes with no indication of cause. I'll list my system, for whatever use it might be:

Biostar motherboard: TA790GX A2+
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200 (2.7 GHz)
Using onboard video
4 GB RAM

Hope this gets resolved, as Mint Debian is hugely welcome. At last, the promise of good-by to Buguntu Flubuntu.

bobcollard
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bobcollard » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:08 pm

I have a problem with LMDE in Resolution. For some reason it sees my Samsung SyncMaster 2233 Monitor as a 22" screen when it is really a 21 1/2" screen which means the top and bottom are cut off so no matter where I put the Panel it does not show up with the correct resolution of 1920x1080 @60Hz. The only way I can see the Panel is if I Mirror the laptop and external monitor at 1024x768. This leaves not only extra large icons, but, distortion with things wider than high. Specs follow:

-Display-

Resolution : 1920x1080 pixels

Vendor : The X.Org Foundation

Version : 1.7.6

-Monitors-

Monitor 0 : 1920x1080 pixels

-OpenGL-

Vendor : Tungsten Graphics, Inc

Renderer : Mesa DRI Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset GEM 20091221 2009Q4

Version : 2.1 Mesa 7.7.1

Direct Rendering : Yes

-Computer-

Processor : 2x Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T3400 @ 2.16GHz

Memory : 4020MB (740MB used)

Operating System : Linux Mint 9 Isadora - Xfce 64-bit

User Name : bob (Robert Collard)

Date/Time : Wed 08 Sep 2010 11:12:25 AM CDT

-Display-

Resolution : 1920x1080 pixels

OpenGL Renderer : Mesa DRI Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset GEM 20091221 2009Q4

X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation

-Multimedia-

Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA Intel

-SCSI Disks-

ATA WDC WD1600BEVT-7

PLDS DVD+-RW DS-8A3S

Generic- Multi-Card

Seagate FreeAgentDesktop

Edited 9-9-10 I tried changing the settings incorporated in the Monitor itself to no avail. Horizontal and vertical settings remained the same on the screen. This is a Samsung SynMaster 2233SW model if that helps.
Last edited by bobcollard on Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Collard, Springfield, IL
Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16 Ghz. 4GB RAM
Linux Mint Debian Edition, Xfce 4.6.2 Desktop, 2.6.37-0.dmz.6-liquorix-amd64

craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:30 pm

Quick note to Mint Team regarding the difference in the font rendering of ubuntu/kubuntu to the way direct debian looks, this was a reply posted to me in the Mint Debian thread as to what he believes accounts for the difference:

I believe it's because ubuntu includes a libfreetype patch and debian does not.
In fact I notice most distros have iffy fonts compared to ubuntu and openSUSE.

I hope you can look into that and see if that will enhance the look :wink:

anm1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by anm1 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:56 pm

Installed with RU locale,
broken encoding in tty:

bugmenotprettyplz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bugmenotprettyplz » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:04 pm

Installing LMDE in a VMware container creates a GRUB which wants to turn of the actual CPU. And cause of this, its unable to boot at all. Comes as far as the "GRUB loading" text when I get the popup.

VMware Workstation 7.1
y8 | Miniclip | y3 | friv | ben10 |

tux-sven
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tux-sven » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:23 pm

I tried to install Skype by fetching the Debian Lenny package at Skype homepage. But I don't know how to install it properly. I can start the binary file from where i unpacked it but that is only a temporary solution.
I also found out that there is the same microphone problem as in Mint 9 (And I was earlier, wrongly, complaining Ubuntu for that misbehavior!). It's wrong phase for one of the microphone channels, which causes the signals taking out each other when they are added after the microphone-volume control. I think its something wrong in Pulse Audio, because in PCLinuxOS (without Pulse Audio) it behaves correctly on the same computer. (Acer Aspire One)

zole052
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zole052 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:34 pm

tux-sven wrote:I tried to install Skype by fetching the Debian Lenny package at Skype homepage. But I don't know how to install it properly. I can start the binary file from where i unpacked it but that is only a temporary solution.
Download the Debian Lenny .deb package at Skype homepage and install it with

sudo dpkg -i skype-debian_2.1.0.81-1_i386.deb

kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:58 pm

zole052 wrote:
tux-sven wrote:I tried to install Skype by fetching the Debian Lenny package at Skype homepage. But I don't know how to install it properly. I can start the binary file from where i unpacked it but that is only a temporary solution.
Download the Debian Lenny .deb package at Skype homepage and install it with

sudo dpkg -i skype-debian_2.1.0.81-1_i386.deb
I did this myself with the 09-04-10 build but it failed initially because of unmet dependencies. For some reason "sudo dpkg -i" as well Gdebi (which I installed) were not pulling in the dependencies required by the Skype .deb package even though those dependencies were available in the repos. Installing .deb packages in LM9 does this automatically, btw. It was simple to solve as the 3 dependencies for Skype were listed when it threw the error. I installed the dependencies first and then Skype installed fine. Of course, this may have been fixed in one of the updates over the past couple of days.

Can anyone try to duplicate what I described above? I haven't installed any other .debs since Skype and time is short this evening. :(
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)

tux-sven
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tux-sven » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:06 pm

I wanted the hp-toolbox and installed hplip packages (including hplip-gui). However I can't find any hp-toolbox anywhere in the menus. Finally I started hp-toolbox from a terminal window.
Nevertheless I haven't been able to install my network-connected HP Photosmart 2610 all-in-one printer. When I use hp-toolbox it finds my printer when I give it the ip-number but can not create a printer cue because I need to restart Cups first. I can not get my printer to work. :(

Return to “LMDE 1 Archive”