How to change language?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
hali
Level 1
Level 1

How to change language?

Post by hali »

I've just installed LMDE, where is Language Support (I want to change language for some users)?
thanks in advance for answer

MrCoOl
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to change language?

Post by MrCoOl »

path-
mint menu - system - administration - language support :D
you must have language packages installed for enabling your desired language if it is not there :roll:
path -
mint - system - synaptic package manager - languages (select and install) :)

StratosJL
Level 1
Level 1

Post by StratosJL »

Actually, this does not work... there is no "languages" package available...

xcausex
Level 1
Level 1

Post by xcausex »

The "Language Support" gui thing is pretty standard to most all Ubuntu based systems.

For my Fluxbox edition of Linux Mint it was under System Tools > System Tools > Language Support. I can't recall where the Gnome version sticks it, but it's bound to be under something like Administration > Language Support.

That is your best bet, find that and make use of it, as it drastically simplifies the matter of adding language support and other locales and even input methods, which is what I generally need it for, to add Ibus and Anthy to aid in my attempts to learn Japanese.

Teucca
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Teucca »

hali wrote:I've just installed LMDE, where is Language Support (I want to change language for some users)?
thanks in advance for answer
I hawe also loking for this!!
In Mint 9 isadora its under gnome-language-selector, but I didnt find in LMDE?? :?:

I have made an Instructions with Mint 8 Helena for users and languages http://linuxmint-fi.info/kayttajat-ja-kielet/
Last edited by Teucca on Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint Suomi guide
MINT is an easy, logical, adaptable, inspiring, user-friendly operating system.
The changes are new opportunities
Help Site Instructions

xcausex
Level 1
Level 1

Post by xcausex »

Lol, I am a bit of an idiot, I am so used to seeing DE and thinking desktop environment and I had forgot that there is now a Debian edition of Linux Mint. I wonder if Debian uses a different tool for language support than Ubuntu. I just did a quick search around on the Debian site and can't find anything on what it uses. I am starting to remember why I never bothered with straight Debian, I always hated trying to find any useful info from their websites.

StratosJL
Level 1
Level 1

Post by StratosJL »

OK, the solution is described in the Debian wiki: http://wiki.debian.org/Locale

Looks like, for Debian, real men do it with the keyboard... I really much preferred the "Language Support" menu, regardless...

Teucca
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Teucca »

StratosJL wrote:OK, the solution is described in the Debian wiki: http://wiki.debian.org/Locale

Looks like, for Debian, real men do it with the keyboard... I really much preferred the "Language Support" menu, regardless...
We are looking for an easyer way to do this! 8)
Linux Mint Suomi guide
MINT is an easy, logical, adaptable, inspiring, user-friendly operating system.
The changes are new opportunities
Help Site Instructions

cyril4133
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cyril4133 »

You can find the answer here: http://www.numango.com/5017_initial-con ... -mint.html :

Type

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales
and install the language package (if needed). In the following window appears the installed package. Choose and you'll done.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

Moved here by moderator

reddy13
Level 1
Level 1

Post by reddy13 »

I've same problem and don't found answer.
I want to use US/EN language in my system, but after installing my nationalities locales (russian encodings), all settings in my environement will be reset to rus. I try to dpkg-reconfigure locales and set default US.utf-8 (and GB.utf8 too), but no success, all programs still use russian text instead of US or En. Also, don't found package 'Language support' in synaptic and didn't have 'Language' in system menu.

It would be great if somebody help me to change language, i can't work with non-english interface, it looking ugly.

My distr : LMDE 201109 Gnome, 64 bit.

reddy13
Level 1
Level 1

Post by reddy13 »

Solved :
When you logging in system (prompt user password on logon screen), in the bottom of screen appears panel where you can choose language.

Also, i remove all locales from dpkg-reconfigure (except enUS.utf8) and reinstall my national locales.

filozofio
Level 1
Level 1

Post by filozofio »

Type

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales
and install the language package (if needed). In the following window appears the installed package. Choose and you'll done.
This works fine for me too.

Return to “LMDE Archive”