Is LMDE going to make it?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
rtrev

Is LMDE going to make it?

Post by rtrev »

I'm unclear.. has the decision been formally made to continue LMDE? I hope so, but I haven't seen it stated in so many words yet.

Tks,
Bob
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cecar

Re: Is LMDE going to make it?

Post by cecar »

There is going to be a 64bit version so i think... Yes..
Gramps50

Post by Gramps50 »

According to the Mint Blog the next version of LMDE will be released in December

http://blog.linuxmint.com/
specmod0

Post by specmod0 »

Is ububtu gonna make it? A LOT of people are going to switch after 11.04... people are already sick of the bugs that system has....
k3lt01

Post by k3lt01 »

Yes Ubuntu will make it, As someone who actually tests each new version, on my third now with Natty, I find this continual I'm sick of the bugs in Ubuntu chatter is getting boring. Most of the people doing the complaining are not actively trying to help, notice I said most not all, and reading through the forums you see many temper tantrums from these people who are basically trolls.

In 3 testing releases I have had very little difficulty, Plymouth was the worst, then KMS being disabled in the Linux Kernel, then ndiswrapper not being supported and my comment about that is easily accessible in launchpad.

So to those who actually get in and help with bugs, and not only for Ubuntu etc, I thank you. To those who don't ... well .... you get what you settle for, if you don't help you are obviously settling quite early.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

k3lt01 wrote:I find this continual I'm sick of the bugs in Ubuntu chatter is getting boring
Me, too. Mainly because I've rarely run into any real problems with bugs in Ubuntu, Kubuntu, or Ubuntu-based Linux Mint. After almost 5 years, I'm thinking that I can't be the only person out there who feels that, generally, Ubuntu and its spin-offs have been great.

I do think that Mint Debian is a great idea, and that it's gonna "make it," but I don't think I'd use it instead of Debian. Right now, I don't even think I'd use it instead of the main Mint version, unless that gets phased out. But in six months or so, I'll probably add LMDE to my multi-boot set-up and give it a nice, long-term run.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

FUD

LMDE is fantastic
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
rtrev

Post by rtrev »

I agree with you folks, LMDE is indeed fantastic! And I happen to be in the market for a distro. I'm sick of distro hopping, and about the time I discovered Julia, LMDE was released.

I know it's fun to have lots to play with, in fact I have 6 installed at the moment. But I'd like to settle down. LMDE might be the one if a few little audio issues I have are resolved and if the community gets behind it and keeps it airborne. :D
reference2myself

Post by reference2myself »

LMDE will make it, not sure about the Ubuntu version though. I never upgraded from Mint 8 because of the stupid changes ubuntu made to the notification system, that notification applet is the worst idea ever. LMDE is the best setup I've ever had.
specmod0

Post by specmod0 »

one guy can't fund a system forever... Debian will be here in 10 years... i dunno so much about ubuntu...

mint team is going to port the ubuntu stuff to Debian... A lot of users are going to be pissed off when 11.04 comes out and it no longer has the gnome desktop but some kind of mini pc deskop... where you think they gonna go??? LMDE.....
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I have finally dropped using the Ubuntu base. Now I am using LMDE as my Debian Stable distro, and Debian KDE as my Debian Testing distro. Having the choice of the two desktop environments gives me all the variety I need, and it still keeps me in the Mint family. :D
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
ezas

Post by ezas »

At some point I fully expect to go to LMDE. Probably when I get bored with Mint 10 and/or when the next iteration of LMDE is released. I see it as MY Mint future. Can't speak for others.

To don't complain if you don't contribute to it.

This is the internet. The ultimate egalitarian court of public opinion. To expect any less . . . is either utopian, elitist or naive.
kbkatz1

Post by kbkatz1 »

I believe/hope LMDE will be around for a long time, just switched from LM9 KDE.
Troken

Post by Troken »

Gramps50 wrote:According to the Mint Blog the next version of LMDE will be released in December ... http://blog.linuxmint.com/
I have to ask this, if LMDE is a rolling distro, doesn't it mean that we don't have to download the next version? So no need for install, just updates should be enough, right?
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

exactly, some are still waiting for a more full-featured installer, a 64bit version etc. though so atm a new iso is still something more people want than you'd expect in a rolling release distro....
Also it's kind of like a life-sign, an affirmation of the "experiment" that was the first release having had a positive outcome and so on...
k3lt01

Post by k3lt01 »

specmod0 wrote:one guy can't fund a system forever... Debian will be here in 10 years... i dunno so much about ubuntu...
That's why they call Canonical a business and business's have a business plan. Canonical has paying customers already so I really don't know where you are getting your info from.
specmod0 wrote:mint team is going to port the ubuntu stuff to Debian...
Debian already has the ability itself anyway.
specmod0 wrote: A lot of users are going to be pissed off when 11.04 comes out and it no longer has the gnome desktop but some kind of mini pc deskop... where you think they gonna go??? LMDE.....
Hmmm I have 11.04 on my laptop, this machine, and it has Gnome desktop. To change the distribution base from one desktop to another takes more than one cycle and if you are referring to Unity it is already an option for all users and many I know use it.
ezas wrote:To don't complain if you don't contribute to it.

This is the internet. The ultimate egalitarian court of public opinion. To expect any less . . . is either utopian, elitist or naive.
Is this me you are referring to? Just making sure before I reply.

I'm not utopian (God knows I know there is no such thing as perfection), egalitarian (God knows I cant stand everyone telling me what to do), elitist (God knows 99.9% of people on this planet are my equal, actually I am somewhat Communistic), nor am I naive (God knows I wish I was sometimes cause if I was I would just believe everything I read online). What I am, and would hope most people are, is sensible and willing to put in some effort for the things I have and use. One of the reasons I joined this group, apart from my interest in LMDE that is, is that I felt it was worth contributing to. If I find something wrong I'll post a bug report so that I can assist to make it better, heck I'll even give working on code a go if needed (I have already done so with Ubuntu, not a big effort but it was worthwhile to a few people).

I'll be honest and say I feel if you find something that is wrong or could be better then you should try to help. It's like finding litter on the footpath (I can think of many more analogies) if you pick it up you have done something for your community (remember Linux is a community) and the environment. If you leave it be and then complain about how messy things are then you are as bad as the person that dropped it in the first place. Like I said before you get what you settle for.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Troken wrote:
Gramps50 wrote:According to the Mint Blog the next version of LMDE will be released in December ... http://blog.linuxmint.com/
I have to ask this, if LMDE is a rolling distro, doesn't it mean that we don't have to download the next version? So no need for install, just updates should be enough, right?
AFAIK for current users there's no need for re installation, but in December we will have a 64bit-capable version, and for new users this new snapshot will include all the updates until then, so will be advised for them to install this one.
vbj

Post by vbj »

Well, I certainly hope so too. I have found that LMDE is a magnificient distro, that I for sure hope will survive and thrive.

Thanks a lot to the LinuxMint team for making such a great distro.

About two months ago I wiped out my last Windows installation, (oh, what a day :-) and wanting to inhibit the dusty laptop with something new (I already have machines running Debian, Arch Linux, and OpenSUSE), I tried out some Ubuntus, looked at "Saner Defaults" remix of Ubuntu , and then saw a mentioning of LMDE over at linuxtoday.com - rolling Debian - wauw :P

I installed, had only a single issue due to the graphic chipset, but thanks to the 'missing' plymouth I didn't have to do console work in the blind to install the proper driver :-)

I find that for me LMDE works great, is stable and a pleasure to look at - also the artwork is excellent. And it looks like the community around the distro is great, too. BTW - I've made a bit 'saner' - I uninstalled anything mono :-\

So I'm seriously thinking of installing LMDE on a server, that I am building for home and home-office use, to replace the old OpenSUSE LTSP server. I'm aware that there might be problems when Debian thaws, but I think I'll take the chance. And by the way: " I ... have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened" as Mark Twain said ;-)

Thanks LinuxMint team - you rock!
JayKay3000

Post by JayKay3000 »

I think so I used it for a while and really enjoyed it after I got a few things working.

I had less problems with that than the mint kde version although I still trust the ubuntu based mint as i've used that the longest with no problems.

The only thing I really missed in lmde was the ring switcher in compiz.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I just installed Debian KDE to run in the next partition over from my LMDE installation. One thing that Debian does, which Mint really cannot due to lack of personnel, is spin a weekly snapshot of the Testing distro. So when I installed Debian KDE there were only 9 or 10 updates to pull in. I feel for the people coming into LMDE between now and December. There must be 300 - 400 updates to d/l by this point. :shock:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1

Return to “LMDE Archive”