Nautilus going crazy, keeps restarting...

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
steelers1

Nautilus going crazy, keeps restarting...

Post by steelers1 »

Hi there,
For some strange reason, nautilus goes crazy when I try opening files over ftp with bluefish. Until my last update, this worked perfectly. Now, when trying open a file over ftp or "connecting to server" with nautilus, about a million of instances of "starting file manager" keep starting and starting all over again.

This is actually a well documented gnome-bug, however to me this only happens when I am trying to work over ftp...

Any hints? Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
CiaW

Re: Nautilus going crazy, keeps restarting...

Post by CiaW »

I would strongly suspect that it's an issue with xulrunner, because a while back I had something similar happen with xiphos (and I think they either have or are working to remove the xulrunner dependency for that package). You did mention it's a known bug. On a side note, I love that the lmde log file viewer lets you ctrl-f (find) things, some log file viewers don't have that option!

From my apt history.log I see I had a xulrunner update on 12/26 (that's when I did the update) to xulrunner 1.9.1.15-1

While that may (likely?) be the source of the issue, and perhaps your ftp or bluefish uses xulrunner, maybe try another ftp client to see if that works? I like FireFTP firefox add-on, or filezilla. There may also be a way to downgrade to a previous version of a package after an update, but I'm not sure what it is.
steelers1

Post by steelers1 »

pretty sure its not a xulrunner thing, i guess it must be something with gnome or nautilus...

weird thing: on my desktop seems to be the old automounted ftp drive (which was shown when I edited files with bluefish), however, this thing can not be deleted, renamed or whatever in anayway.

I just added a new user -> no problem opening ftp connections with nautilus or bluefish.

SO where could the problem be?
oOarthurOo

Post by oOarthurOo »

Try running it from a terminal and see if anything useful is spit out when you reproduce the bad behaviour.

Return to “LMDE Archive”