Gnome3 for the experienced (FUN Stuff!!!)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2

Are you interested in Gnome3/Gnome-Shell?

I'm interested in running/testing G-S...
55%
I'll run Gnome3, but not the Shell
13%
I'm staying with Gnome2 for now
24%
What's Gnome3??????
7%

Total votes: 441

zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Gnome3 for the experienced (FUN Stuff!!!)

Post by zerozero »

edke wrote:@autocrosser

That launcher u r using, on bottom side of the screen, what is it? Is it a docky?

And related question: is there a way yet to tweak default GS launcher to behave like docky in intellihide mode? I want to see launcher when no window covers it and show it on touching left edge of screen everywhere, not only when moving to upper left corner as default...

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk
@edke, have you tried the dock from here http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Extensions it has now a couple nice features, auto-hide included, and it runs in the right side of the screen
autocrosser wrote:
cbowman57 wrote:Well after playing with gnome-fallback for the past few days on my 64-bit installation I decided to un-pin everything and just let aptitude do a safe-upgrade. My shell now works again.

This is after doing a dist-upgrade to 'sid' on LMDE. :)
:D :D :D WELCOME BACK TO SHELL-LAND!!! :D :D :D

Hey!! it's fun 'hangin on the edge :lol: zerozero & I have lots of "fun" there & it has not broken (much---) :lol: :lol:

Now, if you are "really" adventurous---you could do "Expermintal" :D
yeahh i just left all the taps open (testing/sid /experimental) and do a an apt-get upgrade ( i'm more an apt than aptitude kind of person)
autocrosser wrote:Hey zerozero!!!! There was a update on Gnomelooks for GnomishBeige yesterday.....I've looked at it & it might be a real good base for a LMDE G/S Mint theme with some tweeking....are you interested in taking a look? I'm up to playing with it.....It's now got a gtk2 & 3 plus the G/S theme......And as it's based on Adwaita, it "should" be easy to maintain..... <a href="http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... ent=125443" class="smarterwiki-linkify">http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... </a></span>
i see, i see 8) looks very nice, monday/tuesday i'm gonna have a play with it, see what comes out

[ bliss of ignorance ]

autocrosser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by autocrosser »

zerozero wrote: yeahh i just left all the taps open (testing/sid /experimental) and do a an apt-get upgrade ( i'm more an apt than aptitude kind of person)
autocrosser wrote:Hey zerozero!!!! There was a update on Gnomelooks for GnomishBeige yesterday.....I've looked at it & it might be a real good base for a LMDE G/S Mint theme with some tweeking....are you interested in taking a look? I'm up to playing with it.....It's now got a gtk2 & 3 plus the G/S theme......And as it's based on Adwaita, it "should" be easy to maintain..... <a href="http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... ent=125443" class="smarterwiki-linkify">http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... </a></span>
i see, i see 8) looks very nice, monday/tuesday i'm gonna have a play with it, see what comes out
Yea--that's the only way to test--open it all up & let it flow in :lol: I'm more of a Aptitude person..."slightly" more control (of a runaway train wreck????) That's the way we did Ubuntu Alpha testing :shock: Things didn't b0rk (much....)

I'm going to play with it this weekend & if something looks good I'll PM you about it....Do you know the "official" color numbers or should I just do a sample off of http://www.linuxmint.com/ :?:
"Let's nobody be dead today----Looks very bad on my report" One of my favorite lines from AVATAR :)
Linux User# 395230

zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Post by zerozero »

what i found in the mint-x theme was this
gtk_color_scheme = "base_color:#ffffff\nfg_color:#212121\ntooltip_fg_color:#EDEDED\nselected_bg_color:#accd8a\nselected_fg_color:#ffffff\ntext_color:#1A1A1A\nbg_color:#D6D6D6\ntooltip_bg_color:#FBEAA0\nmenu_fg_color:#212121\nmenu_bg_color:#FEFEFE\nfocus_color:#94b06f"
probably is a start

post-edit: looking forward for your pm then 8)

[ bliss of ignorance ]

cbowman57
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cbowman57 »

I see you guys are working on a custom theme. A pretty close approximation is the Elementary shell theme, Adwaita gtk+ & Mint-x for the windows theme.
Screenshot-1.png
Screenshot-1.png (111.26 KiB) Viewed 3222 times

gavinhc
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gavinhc »

I threw Debian unstable (which took a rather long time installing and upgrading from a Squeeze netinst disk) in my testing partition tonight intending to add Gnome-Shell to it once I got everything up and running. When I use some of the apt pinning described earlier (page 7 or 8 I think) by others in this thread and try to dist-upgrade with the experimental repos activated, I get this error

Code: Select all

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 libglib2.0-0 : Breaks: gnome-control-center (< 1:3) but 1:2.30.1-3 is to be installed
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.
and the update quits. I'm not a Linux guru by any means, but it looks to me like the correct version should be pulled from the experimental repos

root@debiantest:/home/gavin# apt-cache policy gnome-control-center
gnome-control-center:
  Installed: 1:2.30.1-3
  Candidate: 1:3.0.1.1-1
  Package pin: 1:3.0.1.1-1
  Version table:
     1:3.0.1.1-1 500
        150 http://ftp.ca.debian.org/debian/ experimental/main amd64 Packages
 *** 1:2.30.1-3 500
        500 http://ftp.ca.debian.org/debian/ unstable/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
Am I missing something here?

For the record, my apt-pinning looks like this

root@debiantest:/home/gavin# cat /etc/apt/preferences.d/gnome
Package: *gnome* libglib2.0* *vte* *pulse* *peas* libgtk* *gjs* *gconf* *gstreamer* alacarte *brasero* cheese ekiga empathy* gdm3 gcalctool baobab *gucharmap* gvfs* hamster-applet *nautilus* seahorse* sound-juicer *totem* remmina vino gksu xdg-user-dirs-gtk dmz-cursor-theme eog epiphany* evince* *evolution* file-roller gedit* metacity *mutter* yelp* rhythmbox* banshee* system-config-printer transmission-* tomboy network-manager* libnm-* update-notifier shotwell liferea *software-properties* libunique-3.0-0 libseed-gtk3-0 libnotify* libpanel-applet-4-0 libgdata11 libcamel* libcanberra* libchamplain* libebackend* libebook* libecal* libedata* libegroupwise* libevent* gir1.2-* libxklavier16 python-gmenu libgdict-1.0-6 libgdu-gtk0
Pin: release experimental
Pin-Priority: 500

Package: *
Pin-Priority: 150
AMD Athlon II X4 630, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, Nvidia GeForce GT 430 - 64-bit LMDE (Gnome3) tracking testing, 64-bit Archlinux, 32-bit Windows XP
Aluminum Unibody MacBook - MacOS X 10.7 "Lion"

autocrosser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by autocrosser »

Well, experimental is a moving target...if there are unmet depends, you need to either go all the way with experimental or wait until the depend resolves itself...as it is the weekend most everywhere, I would guess that any depends problems will iron out next week... So, hang in there & see what next week brings.....
"Let's nobody be dead today----Looks very bad on my report" One of my favorite lines from AVATAR :)
Linux User# 395230

cbowman57
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cbowman57 »

My apt pinning looks like this:

Pin-Priority: 990

Pin: release unstable
Pin-Priority: 990
sources.list
/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/local
  • APT::Default-Release "sid";
It might not be technically correct but it works. :)

autocrosser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by autocrosser »

OK---here is the VERY BASIC start of the theme I have in mind...It is VERY subject tio changes & as I'm really new to G-S theming---it's not done by a long shot...

I'm basing it on Adwaita for very sound reasons (stable code) & using MintX gtk2 & icons.....scroll bars & several elements are not done yet....
Attachments
G-S MintX.tar.gz
(762.45 KiB) Downloaded 221 times
Linux User# 395230

secipolla
Level 4
Level 4

Post by secipolla »

gavinhc wrote:...
You can try this pinning file: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 49#p454149

secipolla
Level 4
Level 4

Post by secipolla »

[quote="cbowman57"][/quote]
You don't need to make sid the default release. It is already (experimental packages can only be installed directly).
That would make sense if you made the default release 'testing'.

cbowman57
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cbowman57 »

secipolla wrote:
cbowman57 wrote:
You don't need to make sid the default release. It is already (experimental packages can only be installed directly).
That would make sense if you made the default release 'testing'.
Ok, I'm rather new to Debian so you have me a little confused. Are you saying that I can remove unstable from the pinning file? Or change the default relese to testing? What makes LMDE default to sid?

Sorry for the questions but I'm trying to understand how repos are weighted.

GregE
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GregE »

autocrosser wrote:OK---here is the VERY BASIC start of the theme I have in mind...It is VERY subject tio changes & as I'm really new to G-S theming---it's not done by a long shot...

I'm basing it on Adwaita for very sound reasons (stable code) & using MintX gtk2 & icons.....scroll bars & several elements are not done yet....
Maybe make the toolbar background a bit darker, just to increase the contrast with the light writing. It is a good minty color, but the white text is washed out (on my monitor and video card anyway). Menu text and icons all seem a good fit.

secipolla
Level 4
Level 4

Post by secipolla »

@ cbowman, if you have sid repos enabled then your system defaults to sid (because it has the latest package versions) unless you make testing the default release in apt.conf. So that pinning would make sense if you had testing as the default release.
Anyway, if you pin all packages from experimental to a priority of 990 then AFAICT any package you need that has a version in experimental will be installed. That may be asking for problem. Better just pin the GNOME 3 packages (as in the pinning file I posted) or any other you may want (like I have a pinning file for libreoffice too).
I'm no expert on this so if you want to get a better grasp on it read 'man apt.conf' and 'man apt_preferences' or the references on apt pinning from the Debian Manual or from Debian Reference.

autocrosser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by autocrosser »

Just because today----Screenshot for the day (I really like this combo....)
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (316.54 KiB) Viewed 3120 times
Linux User# 395230

zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Post by zerozero »

well this is not the shell, but is LMDE anyways

lookin' guuud 8)

[ bliss of ignorance ]

cbowman57
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cbowman57 »

secipolla wrote:@ cbowman, if you have sid repos enabled then your system defaults to sid (because it has the latest package versions) unless you make testing the default release in apt.conf. So that pinning would make sense if you had testing as the default release.
Anyway, if you pin all packages from experimental to a priority of 990 then AFAICT any package you need that has a version in experimental will be installed. That may be asking for problem. Better just pin the GNOME 3 packages (as in the pinning file I posted) or any other you may want (like I have a pinning file for libreoffice too).
I'm no expert on this so if you want to get a better grasp on it read 'man apt.conf' and 'man apt_preferences' or the references on apt pinning from the Debian Manual or from Debian Reference.
I'm going to make a ton of mistakes. My method entails lots of installation using snaptic so I can cherry pick packages. My goal was being able to use aptitude in safe-upgrade & dist-upgrade mode to maintain a stable system that draws from all available repositories. I expect things to break, and I'm sure there are easier ways. I completely removed the pinning file and it didn't seem to make any changes (good thing).

So, since I'll be asking lots of stupid questions, here's another one. Using the pinning file named "gnome", can I use that to just do apt-get install gnome and it will work automagically?

autocrosser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by autocrosser »

zerozero wrote:well this is not the shell, but is LMDE anyways

lookin' guuud 8)
Thanks---I'm going to do some more work this evening...I'm not liking the top panel in Shell & want to change a couple of tints here & there....

Spent the last couple of hours upgrading my Netgear 3500L router to DD-WRT...nice to be all linux again......
Linux User# 395230

victorsk
Level 2
Level 2

Post by victorsk »

Hi all,

I skimmed through this thread but can't find attempts building gnome3 from source. Has anybody tried to build gnome3 from source at:

http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/core/3.1/3.1.3/sources/

I was successful at compiling 'gnome-desktop-3.1.3' component but when trying to compile 'gtk+-3.1.8' on which 'gnome-control-center-3.1.3' I get the error:

configure: error: Package requirements (glib-2.0 >= 2.29.4    atk >= 1.30    pango >= 1.24.0    cairo >= 1.10.0    cairo-gobject >= 1.10.0    gdk-pixbuf-2.0 >= 2.22.0) were not met:
Requested 'glib-2.0 >= 2.29.4' but version of GLib is 2.28.6
Trouble is that I DID compile with 'make && make install' 'atk' with appropriate version but when I run 'configure' for 'gtk_3.1.8' it's still showing as unmet dependency.

I use default './configure' command but maybe there should be a specific '--prefix' instruction, i.e. './configure --prefix=???' to point to a required directory so the installed dependencies would be located?

I think if gnome3 is built from source it's performance should be much better so it's probably worth exploring :)

Thanks,
Victor.

autocrosser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by autocrosser »

That is interesting---I have been thinking of building source again lately...I'll explore what the depends problems are later this evening...remember to follow the information about deleting all the .la in libs....that can really mess up your build.
Linux User# 395230

wlake
Level 2
Level 2

Post by wlake »

In case anyone might be interested, here is a screenshot of linuxlex at oz.linuxlex.cz/en. Thsi is essentially its default look and it is based on ubuntu natty.
Scrn2.png
Scrn2.png (410.32 KiB) Viewed 3338 times

Return to “LMDE Archive”