LMDE System Monitor shows no "File Systems"

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

LMDE System Monitor shows no "File Systems"

Post by kmb42vt »

Here's one for you. I happen to be checking my resources via the "System Monitor" and tried to check disk space under the "File Systems" tab and much to my surprise I didn't have any. No file system (disk, partition, whatever) whatsoever was listed. Rather strange since LMDE has been running fine on a 109 GB partition for the last couple of months. The "System Tab" in "System Monitor" shows "Available disk space: 0 bytes" as well. "Gparted" shows things as they really are (whew!). :D This is the only anomaly with LMDE I've found so far otherwise it runs like a champ.

I included a couple of screenshots. I'm maybe thinking it has to do with my partition set up but LM 10 KDE RC is installed much the same way in another 104 GB partition (sda2 [LM10 KDE] and sda3 [LMDE] are my test partitions, btw) and it has no problem seeing the file system. Anyone else seeing the same thing as I do in "System Monitor"?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: LMDE System Monitor shows no "File Systems"

Post by Fornhamfred »

Hi

I think as a first try I would uninstall the system monitor and the re-install. It can be found on software manager, system tools - Gnome system manager.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Fornhamfred wrote:Hi

I think as a first try I would uninstall the system monitor and the re-install. It can be found on software manager, system tools - Gnome system manager.
I went ahead and uninstalled and reinstalled "gnome-system-monitor" (no such thing as "Gnome system manager" I'm afraid)--no change. One thing I have noticed is that the "System files" tab will show any partition/drive that's mounted except for the LMDE partition [sda3].

I did some further investigation which led me to check my "etc/fstab" file and it's all messed up which makes absolutely no sense at all. This is a fresh install of the latest LMDE [amd64] respin, all upgrades were accomplished using "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" as currently recommended and I've kept all the original config files when prompted (tried it the other way and accepted the new config files and LMDE ended half Debian testing and half LMDE). That plus LMDE is running fine except for what I've already mentioned.

Here's the contents of fstab:

Code: Select all

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>

proc	/proc	proc	defaults	0	0
proc	/proc	proc	nodev,noexec,nosuid	0	0
/dev/sda3	/	ext4	rw,errors=remount-ro	0	0
UUID=385ecae6-bd34-41c3-a524-974b8cd6d17f	/	ext3	errors=remount-ro	0	1
UUID=c6876978-438f-4a1e-ae53-dacdf22d1e4a	none	swap	sw	0	0
/dev/scd0	/media/cdrom0	udf,iso9660	user,noauto	0	0
/dev/sda5	swap	swap	sw	0	0
The two UUIDs listed do not exist on my hard drive and all partitions are ext4. Nor do I have any removable drives that would have caused those entries. And the file hasn't been modified since the install so I'm rather confused as to what happened. Unfortunately, I'm not versed in changing fstab entries at all so it's going to be hit or miss as to whether I can straighten this out without having to reload. Good thing this is only a test install.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Update:

I deleted the two invalid UUID entries in "etc/fstab" (shown in previous post), rebooted and things appear to be working the way they should be. The partition [sda3] is showing properly under the File systems tab in System monitor now and there's no errors that I can see during boot although there were none previously either. I don't quite understand why the fstab entries in LMDE differ so much from the fstab entries in LM 10 which are entered by UUID's rather than device numbers but perhaps that's just the way Debian does it?

Return to “LMDE Archive”