Archived topics about LMDE 1
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Soon in a shop near you

Post by zerozero » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:38 am

Last big updates in sid and consequently soon in LMDE:

1- Kernel .37
With the long freeze Debian jumped from the .32 to the .37 Kernel.
Smooth replacement, everything works as expected (apart from my wireless driver -broadcom- had to be rebuilt against the new kernel).
I can't tell a great difference in ram or cpu usage;

2- Debian did the complete switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice, so the first LO pks are going to uninstall all the OO suit.
I didn't have time yet to try LO (the last update was last night 2am)

3- Synaptic (0.75) has again the "Mark all" button;
This one can't remember if came in the last updates or not (playing with one Debian install and LMDE at the same time can be confusing :oops: ), but last night was there for sure.
So, somewhere on the line the Mint conf files where overwrited by Debian's (and i think in LMDE makes more sense this way due the rolling nature of the distribution)

All in all, a good week with some exciting news coming along, and the Xorg breakage is gone :D

[ bliss of ignorance ]

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Soon in a shop near you

Post by tdockery97 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:28 pm

Good to hear about those changes/updates zerozero. I haven't booted into LMDE for a couple of days as I've been enjoying Mint 10 KDE. I already had the .37 kernel via Liquorix, but the other changes are ones that I had been hoping for. Thanks for the heads up. I'll boot up and apply the latest updates right now. :wink:
Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Beta

CiaW
Level 3
Level 3

Post by CiaW » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:23 pm

zerozero wrote:Last big updates in sid and consequently soon in LMDE:

<stuff removed>
2- Debian did the complete switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice, so the first LO pks are going to uninstall all the OO suit.
I didn't have time yet to try LO (the last update was last night 2am)

All in all, a good week with some exciting news coming along, and the Xorg breakage is gone :D
That'll be interesting, as I have OO installed but I also installed LibreOffice in /opt. One nice feature is that the LO 'draw' has an option to import and edit a pdf file, which I used to edit a pdf for which I had managed to lose the original .doc file I used to create it. It wasn't perfect, but it worked well enough. I don't use it extensively but that feature came in very handy!

dawgdoc
Level 9
Level 9

Post by dawgdoc » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:03 pm

zerozero wrote:3- Synaptic (0.75) has again the "Mark all" button;
This one can't remember if came in the last updates or not (playing with one Debian install and LMDE at the same time can be confusing :oops: ), but last night was there for sure.
The Synaptic update came through in LMDE yesterday. I did note that they forgot to change the version number in the About splash screen. So if I look at the installed Synaptic package number it is 0.75. But when in Synaptic I go to > Help > About, I still see it listed as version # 0.70. I doubt if I will go to the work of filing a but report with Debian.

The Mark All Upgrades button is there, the Quick Search input box is pushed to the far right.

SYSTEM: Compaq Presario CQ62 -- Mint 17 Cinnamon
READING: Little Brother by Cory Doctorow

pappfer
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pappfer » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:53 am

Thanks for the info! ;)

As far as I know LMDE has some kernel patches by the Mint team. What will happen if I update the kernel from the repositories? Will I lose those patches?

CiaW
Level 3
Level 3

Post by CiaW » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:30 pm

afaik, LMDE uses the 'standard' Debian kernel, so you should be fine to update it if you want. It's other things that have been minty-fied (is that a word? :D ) If in doubt, you might want to post specifics such as what you have installed now and is it a level 5 update on your mint update screen or is it some kernel you found on a random web site? Obviously one is probably 'safer' than the other.

pappfer
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pappfer » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:41 pm

No, I'm using the default kernel in LMDE.
But as far as I know it has the "4 lines of code better than 200" kernel patch. My question is if I update the kernel from LMDE repos (if there will be any updates) will it also contain this patch?

zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Post by zerozero » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:55 pm

This .37 kernel doesn't has the patch. Upgrade and do some tests to see which one runs better in your machine, you're not gonna loose the other at boot.

[ bliss of ignorance ]

Return to “LMDE 1 Archive”