LMDE BREAKAGES - tracking TESTING

Archived topics about LMDE 1
Forum rules
jlsmith722
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LMDE BREAKAGES - tracking Testing - read here first-28/

Postby jlsmith722 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:52 pm

My update today went smoothly, and after reboot I have had no problems with responsivenes.
But all of a sudden iI do Have 32 packages not upgraded. They appear to be all xserver related and were not heldback yesterday.
[size=85]No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

jlsmith722
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jlsmith722 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:18 pm

I found a reference to this in the tracking sid thread.
[/url]http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=198&t=70230&start=240#p476808[url]
There are seveal posts but the key suggestion from zerozero was to edit [url]/etc/apt/preferences[/url] and set the pin-priority of Debian to 700, the same as the linuxmint repos.
Even though I am tracking testing, I tried this and it allowed all of my xserver.xorg packages that had been held back to update. I now have 0 not upgraded.
Thanks zz and GeneC

JIm
[size=85]No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Postby zerozero » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:21 pm

i just hope you don't get the buggy xserver with this move :mrgreen:

[ bliss of ignorance ]

GeneC
Level 7
Level 7

Postby GeneC » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:42 pm

jlsmith722 wrote:I found a reference to this in the tracking sid thread.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=198&t=70230&start=240#p476808
There are seveal posts but the key suggestion from zerozero was to edit /etc/apt/preferences and set the pin-priority of Debian to 700, the same as the linuxmint repos.
Even though I am tracking testing, I tried this and it allowed all of my xserver.xorg packages that had been held back to update. I now have 0 not upgraded.
Thanks zz and GeneC

JIm

I have been running this for three days on my SID installation with no problems at all. :wink:
I did it somewhat differently. I just commented out the Mint repo, refreshed and it let me update all 34? xorg packages.
Then, un-commented the Mint Repo again.
It went so well I just did the same to my "Testing" partition.
Again, all went just fine. :D

Credit goes to "DeepDayze". He is the one who first figured it out.
viewtopic.php?f=198&t=70230&start=240#p476707

wyrdoak
Level 6
Level 6

Postby wyrdoak » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:51 pm

I don't know what happen with VLC, but anyway I was finally able to install ffmpeg, it removed VLC :roll: Then I reinstalled VLC, so no telling what was going on :mrgreen: Wyrd Gremlins :?: :lol: now I have nothing held back.
-Dell Mini Inspiron 910 Netbook-Atom CPU-N270-1.60ghz; 16gbs mini ePCI PATA SSD
RAM- 1gbs-(LinixMint-17.1: KDE)

zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Postby zerozero » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:08 pm

Jim, Gene,
it looks like my feelings back in that topic were right :D
the workaround DeepDayze presented got me thinking there- why disabling the mint repo would enable the xorg stuff to install? there's no xorg-related pkgs in mint repos, the issue has to be somewhere else and when i saw Gene's screen with the error when he tried to force install xorg i was almost 100% sure that the culprit was the preferences file.

[ bliss of ignorance ]

GeneC
Level 7
Level 7

Postby GeneC » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:10 pm

zerozero wrote:Jim, Gene,
the workaround DeepDayze presented got me thinking there- why disabling the mint repo would enable the xorg stuff to install? there's no xorg-related pkgs in mint repos, the issue has to be somewhere else and when i saw Gene's screen with the error when he tried to force install xorg i was almost 100% sure that the culprit was the preferences file.

Curious stuff.
The xorg holdback in SID had lasted quite a while (one or two weeks?), before I decided to force the issue.
Makes me wonder just how long they would have been on hold?
I'm wondering if they will be on hold in testing as long. I guess time will tell. :lol:

rtrev
Level 3
Level 3

Postby rtrev » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:52 pm

So, basically, the wisest move for someone using "latest" and who doesn't really have time to play at the moment would be to simply hold off on upgrading to "3" until the "All Clear" is given?

zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Postby zerozero » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:01 pm

rtrev, the all clear signal to latest was already given http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1836 :) and none of the issues discussed here in this topic are relevant to latest; that one is safe :lol:

[ bliss of ignorance ]

rtrev
Level 3
Level 3

Postby rtrev » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:05 pm

zerozero wrote:rtrev, the all clear signal to latest was already given http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1836 :) and none of the issues discussed here in this topic are relevant to latest; that one is safe :lol:

Ah! Thanks ZZ!! I'll get the hang of this yet. :oops: :lol:

Gerd50
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Gerd50 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:47 am

a lot of xserver stuff kept back today:

Code: Select all

Paketaktualisierung (Upgrade) wird berechnet... Fertig
Die folgenden Pakete sind zurückgehalten worden:  (kept back)
  gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-input-evdev
  xserver-xorg-input-synaptics xserver-xorg-input-wacom xserver-xorg-video-apm
  xserver-xorg-video-ark xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-chips
  xserver-xorg-video-cirrus xserver-xorg-video-fbdev xserver-xorg-video-geode
  xserver-xorg-video-i128 xserver-xorg-video-i740 xserver-xorg-video-intel
  xserver-xorg-video-mach64 xserver-xorg-video-mga xserver-xorg-video-neomagic
  xserver-xorg-video-nouveau xserver-xorg-video-openchrome
  xserver-xorg-video-r128 xserver-xorg-video-radeon
  xserver-xorg-video-rendition xserver-xorg-video-s3
  xserver-xorg-video-s3virge xserver-xorg-video-savage
  xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion xserver-xorg-video-sis
  xserver-xorg-video-sisusb xserver-xorg-video-tdfx xserver-xorg-video-trident
  xserver-xorg-video-tseng xserver-xorg-video-vesa xserver-xorg-video-vmware
  xserver-xorg-video-voodoo
Die folgenden Pakete werden aktualisiert (Upgrade):
  cron exim4 exim4-base exim4-config exim4-daemon-light gir1.2-freedesktop
  gir1.2-glib-2.0 libarchive1 libgirepository-1.0-1 libregexp-assemble-perl
  pavucontrol
11 aktualisiert, 0 neu installiert, 0 zu entfernen und 35 nicht aktualisiert.
I believe in everything, except humans.

LM9, Debian Testing Xfce, Debian Sid Xfce - CPU/Amd64 2,6Ghz, Graphics/Nvidia 9600 GT, Sound/SB Audigy4 emu10K1

viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby viking777 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:42 am

zerozero wrote:Jim, Gene,

I have totally lost the plot in this conversation.

Nothing in yesterday's upgrade was held back for me - nothing. The problem is, that when everything was installed, xorg didn't work properly any more, and I thought that was the gist of your opening statement on the problem zz?

So what is all this about stopping stuff from being held back? How does that help anything? For me this is what causes the problem :? Forcing the xorg packages to be held back is the only thing that works for me.

Can someone explain what I am missing here.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).

zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Postby zerozero » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:45 am

sorry viking, we lost you, this was a follow-up from here;
in short, if you have your default preferences file (debian to 500, mint to 700), xorg is hold back (was in the the systems tracking sid as you can follow in the link above;
now, this is interesting, but doesn't in any shape or form solve our problem

[ bliss of ignorance ]

viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby viking777 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:54 am

zerozero wrote:sorry viking, we lost you, this was a follow-up from here;
in short, if you have your default preferences file (debian to 500, mint to 700), xorg is hold back (was in the the systems tracking sid as you can follow in the link above;

Ok thanks for the explanation zz :) I am with you now.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).

Chris M
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Chris M » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:53 pm

zerozero wrote:sorry viking, we lost you, this was a follow-up from here;

zz, I got the same xorg holdbacks, so I upped the default debian preferences to 700. I had no problem on my nouveau driver machine, except that after pushing the holdbacks through, my login now presents anti-alaised fonts (I use MS fonts with full alaising). But after I log in, I get my preferred alaised MS fonts.

Should I go back to debian 500? Is that set at 500 for this exact reason, and would the holdbacks eventually be "released" if I never switched to debian 700?

Sorry for the noobish questions. But I've been wondering about the whole holdbacks issue for a while. I recently pushed some through synaptic, and did not have a problem, but if they eventually get worked out, maybe keeping a debian 500 preferences is the way to go?

Thanks

zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Postby zerozero » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:12 pm

Chris, you might want to look in your apt/history.log and probably you will see that one of the pkgs that was updated when you upped the debian pin priority was libcairo, so basically you now lost the ubuntu patch that Clem ported to LMDE and have the default debian patch (yeahh it makes a difference);
what you can try is lower again the pin priority to the default 500 and try to force install in synaptic the patched libcairo (let's hope there won't be a dep. loop that stoops you from that)
good luck

[ bliss of ignorance ]

GeneC
Level 7
Level 7

Postby GeneC » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:40 pm

zerozero wrote:Chris, you might want to look in your apt/history.log and probably you will see that one of the pkgs that was updated when you upped the debian pin priority was libcairo, so basically you now lost the ubuntu patch that Clem ported to LMDE and have the default debian patch (yeahh it makes a difference);
what you can try is lower again the pin priority to the default 500 and try to force install in synaptic the patched libcairo (let's hope there won't be a dep. loop that stoops you from that)
good luck

Chris, "ZZ" and folks.

I made the mistake myself of updating the packages from Debian (after disabling the Mint repo) that messed up my fonts.
This was a deal breaker for me. As those nice fonts are improtant to me and my old eyes 8)
My "fix" was to restore a recent clone, update just the "xorg" packages, and that worked fine. But I know all wont be so fortunate.

Out of curiosity I looked at Synaptic and the "libcairo" packages from the Mint repo are

libcairo2           ver. 1.10.2-2ubuntu2
libcairo-gobject2   ver. 1.10.2-2ubuntu2

The packages from Debian are

libcairo-pearl      ver. 1.071-1
libcairomm-1.0-1    ver. 1.10.0-1

All of the above are apparantly the "GOOD" libcairo font packages
In any event those are the one that I currently have installed, and the fonts are great, just like they had been in the past.
Perhaps this could be of help in fixing "FONTS GONE BAD" :twisted: :shock: :lol:

gotjazz
Level 4
Level 4

Postby gotjazz » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:59 pm

hrm anyone using the open source radeon driver for legacy chips have problems with the yorg updates?
Kinda scared to update atm :D

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Postby tdockery97 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:47 pm

gotjazz wrote:hrm anyone using the open source radeon driver for legacy chips have problems with the yorg updates?
Kinda scared to update atm :D

I have the ATI Radeon HD4200 and have been using the provided open-source Gallium driver. Have had no video issues resulting from updates.
Linux Mint 18.2 KDE

viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby viking777 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:19 am

Just to add to what tdockery97 says, this 'unresponsive xorg' problem only affects Nvidia users. If you have intel or ati graphics you should be able to upgrade without problem.

Return to “Archive”