LMDE BREAKAGES - tracking TESTING

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
wayne128

Re: LMDE BREAKAGES - tracking Testing - no valid dkms.conf

Post by wayne128 »

silopolis wrote:Hi,
viking777 wrote:Just updated to the 3.1.0.1 kernel. All is well except...

Code: Select all

Paramétrage de linux-image-3.1.0-1-amd64 (3.1.1-1) ...

Can I reboot fearlessly ?

Thanks in advance[/quote]

Yes, it should boot up, just that virtualbox will not work, until you install kernel headers
linux-headers-3.1.0-1-amd64 (3.1.1-1)
Last edited by wayne128 on Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
viking777

Re: LMDE BREAKAGES - tracking Testing - read here first-8/n

Post by viking777 »

just that virtualbox will not work, until you install kernel headers
Er no! Even after you have installed the headers virtualbox still won't work.

I have tried upgrading to 4.1.6 version from sid and that doesn't work either. You can no longer run the usual /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup because that script no longer exists. I tried copying it from LMDE 'incoming' (where virtualbox works Ok) but the script does nothing any more. So basically virtualbox is no longer working on LMDE testing. One of the other symptoms of its failure is that it no longer generates any log files either so I can't quote anything, but from memory as it flashed past on boot up it said:
No suitable module for running kernel.
If I boot back into the old 3.0 kernel is works normally.
it is not a big deal for me, I hardly ever use it, but it might be for some people.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

viking777 wrote:
just that virtualbox will not work, until you install kernel headers
Er no! Even after you have installed the headers virtualbox still won't work.

I have tried upgrading to 4.1.6 version from sid and that doesn't work either.
well, may be I am lucky :mrgreen:
on my Debian Sid Gnome, virtualbox works on kernel 3.1.0-1

root@debian:/home/wayne# uname -r
3.1.0-1-amd64

root@debian:/home/wayne# apt-cache policy virtualbox
virtualbox:
  Installed: 4.1.6-dfsg-1
  Candidate: 4.1.6-dfsg-2
  Version table:
     4.1.6-dfsg-2 0
        500 http://ftp.jp.debian.org/debian/ unstable/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable/main amd64 Packages
*** 4.1.6-dfsg-1 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
root@debian:/home/wayne# 

root@debian:/home/wayne# apt-cache policy linux-headers-3.1.0-1*
linux-headers-3.1.0-1-all:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 3.1.1-1
  Version table:
     3.1.1-1 0
linux-headers-3.1.0-1-all-amd64:
  Installed: 3.1.1-1
  Version table:
 *** 3.1.1-1 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
linux-headers-3.1.0-1-amd64:
  Version table:
 *** 3.1.1-1 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
linux-headers-3.1.0-1-common:
  Version table:
 *** 3.1.1-1 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
root@debian:/home/wayne# apt-cache policy virtualbox
virtualbox:
  Installed: 4.1.6-dfsg-1
  Candidate: 4.1.6-dfsg-2
  Version table:
     4.1.6-dfsg-2 0
 *** 4.1.6-dfsg-1 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
root@debian:/home/wayne# 
BostonPeng

Re: LMDE BREAKAGES - tracking Testing - no valid dkms.conf

Post by BostonPeng »

wayne128 wrote:Yes, it should boot ups, just that virtualbox will not work, until you install kernel headers
Actually unless things changed since my desktop died VBox requires another step when you upgrade your kernel. You'll need to get the updated headers as wayne128 said, but don't you also need to do a rebuild on VBox? or am I remembering wrong? I did an online search but couldn't find what I'm thinking of.
Chris M

Post by Chris M »

viking777 wrote:Just updated to the 3.1.0.1 kernel. All is well except for virtualbox which no longer runs. Also the usual ways of starting virtualbox (vboxdrv setup, modprobe vboxdrv) don't work either.

Edit. One thing I did notice is that the upgrade (for me at least) did not include the kernel-headers package, although it is available so I installed it manually. It didn't fix the virtualbox error though.
Very strange. On my Intel chipset laptop, the new kernel installed without issue (but I'm not running VB).

But on my box with an nVidia card and the proprietary nVidia driver, the kernel-headers package (linux-headers-3.1.0-1-686-pae) got installed, but the linux-image did not. When I manually installed linux-image (linux-image-3.1.0-1-686-pae) in Synaptic, it took, but the re-boot dumped me into a command prompt.

Anyone else having this issue?

I just installed the proprietary nVidia driver about a week ago for the first time. The video driver issue is a real drag in linux. I bet I would have have no issue with the free nouveau driver.

What's interesting is that after removing linux-image, and then removing linux-headers, the new kernel is not being advertised as upgradable.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

This is what I get when I try to start up my virtual windows.
Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing

'/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup'

as root. If it is available in your distribution, you should install the DKMS package first. This package keeps track of Linux kernel changes and recompiles the vboxdrv kernel module if necessary.
Neither /dev/vboxdrv nor /etc/init.d/vboxdrv exist - so I can't do much with those! And I already have the DKMS package installed.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Chris M. I got a similar issue to you, but I was expecting it. I don't use Dkms for my Nvidia drivers I use the sgfxi script instead, so it is normal for me to have to reinstall the Nvidia drivers after a kernel upgrade which is why I didn't mention it.
gavinhc

Post by gavinhc »

Chris M wrote:But on my box with an nVidia card and the proprietary nVidia driver, the kernel-headers package (linux-headers-3.1.0-1-686-pae) got installed, but the linux-image did not. When I manually installed linux-image (linux-image-3.1.0-1-686-pae) in Synaptic, it took, but the re-boot dumped me into a command prompt.

Before the Linux 3.1 upgrade, I was running the proprietary nvidia driver (version 290.03 from experimental) and have been keeping it working through kernel and driver upgrades using dkms for nearly a year now. After installing the new kernel and rebooting, I was dumped to the command prompt instead of GDM. I activated the experimental repo and upgraded my nvidia driver to 290.06 and everything is working fine now (including an unexpected fix to Flash not working in Firefox). I do not know if it was an issue within the 290.03 version of the driver or something else, but it does seem like the dkms method hasn't been working quite as smoothly as it should through the last couple kernel and driver updates.
Lippy

Post by Lippy »

I have the "Failed to load module "pk-gtk-module"" issue as well. Installing packagekit-gtk3-module fixes the problem for gtk3 applications, but I still get the problem for gtk2 applications. Other than the message they still seem to be functioning correctly though. I can't find an equivalent package for gtk2. The issue cropped up with the transition to Gnome 3. I'm assuming it can be ignored since it doesn't seem to be doing anything bad.
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

Only problem I've been having is finding a kernel in testing that posts the battery and charge system correctly.
My little stint with Gnome 3 installed, one of the other problems was the computer wouldn't even run on the battery, it would just report no charge and shutdown.[on a full charge] The research I made most were blaming the battery and not the software :roll:

I've been having to use 3.1.0-030100-generic from kernel.org to get things to post. The battery not having any problem communicating here. :lol:
Computer now running better than it ever did.
[Running Xfce now]
GregE

Post by GregE »

wyrdoak wrote:Only problem I've been having is finding a kernel in testing that posts the battery and charge system correctly.
You could try a Liquorix kernel, they are specifically created for Debian.

http://liquorix.net/

:)
feffer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feffer »

amina wrote:Regarding the message "Failed to load module "pk-gtk-module"":
Try installing packagekit-gtk3-module (worked for me, source of info is https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=643129)
This, and installing "fusion-icon" finally got me to gnome3. Had to restart. Log-out and back in didn't work. Also tried zero-zero's last shot and removed compiz-desktop from .config/autostart. Not sure what did it, or maybe a combo, but gnome3 loads now. So I can play with it and see if I like it :wink:
thx for the help!
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

GregE wrote:
wyrdoak wrote:Only problem I've been having is finding a kernel in testing that posts the battery and charge system correctly.
You could try a Liquorix kernel, they are specifically created for Debian.

http://liquorix.net/

:)
Well just just installed 3.1.0-1.dmz.2-liquorix-686, well it is reading the battery and the video seems a bit more stable.
I'll run with it awhile and see how it goes.

Still don't know why in the others, my charge system and battery are bad. :lol: I think the BIOS upgrade from Acer would probably keep ether from burning up if the kernel don't find it. but why play with fire. [pun-pun-pun 8) ]

Thank you
gavinhc

Post by gavinhc »

gavinhc wrote:
Chris M wrote:But on my box with an nVidia card and the proprietary nVidia driver, the kernel-headers package (linux-headers-3.1.0-1-686-pae) got installed, but the linux-image did not. When I manually installed linux-image (linux-image-3.1.0-1-686-pae) in Synaptic, it took, but the re-boot dumped me into a command prompt.

Before the Linux 3.1 upgrade, I was running the proprietary nvidia driver (version 290.03 from experimental) and have been keeping it working through kernel and driver upgrades using dkms for nearly a year now. After installing the new kernel and rebooting, I was dumped to the command prompt instead of GDM. I activated the experimental repo and upgraded my nvidia driver to 290.06 and everything is working fine now (including an unexpected fix to Flash not working in Firefox). I do not know if it was an issue within the 290.03 version of the driver or something else, but it does seem like the dkms method hasn't been working quite as smoothly as it should through the last couple kernel and driver updates.
It seems that I may have spoken too soon about everything working fine after the upgrade to the 3.1 kernel. Since this morning, I have had Iceweasel and RSSOwl randomly crash on me more than once, both while using it and while the programs were simply running in the background. When trying to reopen these applications, they crashed before fulling initializing. Additional, when trying to reactivate the system from the screensaver, I wasn't given the unlock screen, just the top bar showing the time and whatnot that has been on the unlock screen since the Gnome3 upgrade. To get back into my computer I had to do a hard shutdown and reboot.

I have rebooted into the 3.0 kernel (after figuring out how to rebuild the dkms kernel modules for that kernel from this thread, why are the kernel modules uninstalled for all installed kernels if they aren't going to be rebuilt for all installed kernels?) and hopefully this solves the problem.

Just as I was about to post this, Iceweasel crashed on me from the 3.0 kernel, so this probably isn't a kernel issue. Perhaps the 290.06 nvidia drivers? Anybody have any suggestions?
feffer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feffer »

viking777 wrote:This is what I get when I try to start up my virtual windows.
Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing

'/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup'

as root. If it is available in your distribution, you should install the DKMS package first. This package keeps track of Linux kernel changes and recompiles the vboxdrv kernel module if necessary.
Neither /dev/vboxdrv nor /etc/init.d/vboxdrv exist - so I can't do much with those! And I already have the DKMS package installed.
On my system, the following allowed the virtualbox module to rebuild and load for the 3.1 kernel.

dpkg-reconfigure virtualbox-dkms 
Used the following when the 3.1 kernel took me to a console login. btw, I'm still using the nvidia 275 version on this system. I tried to install the 290 one, but it failed. I'm using an nvidia-geforce 300 video card.

dpkg-reconfigure nvidia-kernel-dkms
Chris M

Post by Chris M »

viking777 wrote:Chris M. I got a similar issue to you, but I was expecting it. I don't use Dkms for my Nvidia drivers I use the sgfxi script instead, so it is normal for me to have to reinstall the Nvidia drivers after a kernel upgrade which is why I didn't mention it.
gavinhc wrote:

gavinhc, the only thing I can think of is that my (new kernel) image install may have been held back due to the debian testing nVidia driver not cutting it for the new kernel? I don't know, but wish I could have run the dist-upgrade with nouveau. I bet it would have worked.

I had previously run with GregE's advice on the nVidia driver installation. It's what tempted me to go with the proprietary driver in the first place. But it obviously bombed for me on the new kernel. viking777, the one good thing that came out of this was that it finally pushed me to use smxi - sgfxi. Worked like a freaking charm. Absolutely spot on.

Another vote for sgfxi. There is, unfortunately, no better way. And I say unfortunately because I can't believe there's not a better automated installation process. In any event, it works. And if anyone wants a "condensed" how to, look right here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 52#p444852
viking777

Post by viking777 »

@feffer
On my system, the following allowed the virtualbox module to rebuild and load for the 3.1 kernel.
dpkg-reconfigure virtualbox-dkms
That has fixed it for me - thanks very much for the info.
viking.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

@Chris M
viking777, the one good thing that came out of this was that it finally pushed me to use smxi - sgfxi. Worked like a freaking charm. Absolutely spot on.

Another vote for sgfxi. There is, unfortunately, no better way. And I say unfortunately because I can't believe there's not a better automated installation process. In any event, it works
Its a little gem isn't it, and so easy to use. I held off from using it for a long while because I though dkms was good enough to do the job, and it is most of the time, the difference with sgfxi is that it works all of the time, at least I haven't come across a situation yet when it didn't. Not only that but it allows you to choose between different driver versions like the beta that I am using now, and even allows you to easily revert back to open source drivers if you want to do so. As for dkms you only have to read my post re virtualbox to see that it doesn't always work.
narendra.d

Post by narendra.d »

Sorry for this stupid Question: How do I boot into LMDE in a way that I am without a desktop, i.e into a terminal based system?
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

narendra wrote:
How do I boot into LMDE in a way that I am without a desktop, i.e into a terminal based system?
Boot the recovery mode.

Return to “LMDE Archive”