Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: LMDE BREAKAGES - read here first - Update 12 april 2011

Post by Fornhamfred »

CiaW wrote:
Fornhamfred wrote:Thanks for your reply
Edit: This was a red herring. I have now installed all the level 3 updates. There appears to be a problem with USB after the update. If I leave my USB external drive plugged in then the system goes thro the grub screen but then locks up. If the drive is removed all is well.
I will now try to bring in the level 4 & 5 updates and see what happens
If that doesn't take care of the issue, it may be that your system is looking at the usb drive and trying to boot to it, perhaps? One thing you could try is adding the drive to your fstab, see example here:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 6&p=400351

Or it may be changing the boot order in your bios would fix it, also?
This is an old Pentium 4 machine and the bios does not allow booting from USB, the setting is CD, HD, Floppy. I have tried to install the level 4 updates with no success and although I have restored my machine back to what I thought was a stable version sometimes it will boot from Grub and other it just locks up.
Is there any log that I can look at to see the difference between the episodes? This is with or without the USB drive being plugged in.

Googling the libata comment on the failed boot screen has thrown up this bug report - http://osdir.com/ml/debian-bugs-dist/20 ... 04440.html
Last edited by Fornhamfred on Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Is there any log that I can look at to see the difference between the episodes?
Not without enabling boot logging first:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 27#p404860
gorade
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gorade »

decalguy wrote:
In Devede when you add your file go to Advanced options then the Audio tab make sure there is a check beside "This file already has AC3 sound (copy audio data instead of recompress it)". I think something has changed in ffmpeg but this will fix it.

Hmm..no, it didn't "The conversion failed. There seems to be an error in mencoder". Tried reinstallation of mencoder anew, but that didn't help. I fear there is something more profound, to say..

Ah was just talking about the garbled sound, Devede works fine here with kernel 2.6.38-2-amd64.[/quote]

Have the same kernel but it doesn't work. I followed your advice and checked as above, but it didn't help. Furthermore it resulted in an error message.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

Thanks Viking

Unfortunately no boot log is generated when the system fails to boot. After following your suggestion the next startup failed after the grub login, but the subsequent bootup worked OK and a log was generated.

Is there any other log that may help?

Googling the libata comment on the failed boot screen has thrown up this bug report - http://osdir.com/ml/debian-bugs-dist/20 ... 04440.html
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

I was just wondering...i have temporarily gone back to booting into the previous kernel until some bug fixes come down for the new kernel...so in the meantime, when i do the updates each day, is it critical to do them in the newer kernel? Will i potentially mess things up if i take the updates while in the old kernel session?

vincent

Post by vincent »

craig10x wrote:I was just wondering...i have temporarily gone back to booting into the previous kernel until some bug fixes come down for the new kernel...so in the meantime, when i do the updates each day, is it critical to do them in the newer kernel? Will i potentially mess things up if i take the updates while in the old kernel session?

No, you can apply updates regardless of whatever kernel you're running at the moment. Again though, if you want to see those bugs fixed, make sure you file bug reports to Debian, and maybe the LKML if you're brave enough.
XeroXer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by XeroXer »

STARTED A THREAD REGARDING THIS ISSUE INSTEAD!

I made a dist-upgrade to my system between 2011-04-13 13:36:32 and 2011-04-13 13:40:03 which have caused a few annoyances in my system.

mintmenu:
The mintmenu stopped working and was removed from the panel, trying to add it will add what looks like a separator, the mintmenu process will go up to 100% and nothing else will happen. Killing it will trigger the message from the panel if I want to reload the applet, doing so will do the same thing over and over again. Trying to add the gnome menu will work but pressing it will freeze the whole computer.

gnome-screensaver:
Letting the computer go into screensaver mode is a bad idea, one of my screens goes black while the other freezes the last view I had. I can still move the mouse but not click or do anything, and the one screen is still black. Going into Ctrl+Alt+F1 and killing the gnome-screensaver and then going back will work. I can then use the computer as normal but without any screensaver or lock screen functionality.

xmodmap:
My ~/.bashrc file has these line in it:

Code: Select all

# xmodmap to disable caps lock functionality but still make it possible to use in mangler
xmodmap -e "remove lock = Caps_Lock"
I added this to be able to use Caps Lock as my Push-To-Talk key in Mangler without enabling and disabling the Caps Lock functionality all the time. This also worked fine up until the upgrade, now the Caps Lock is triggered and even if I do this command in the terminal it does nothing more.
From the Gates of Hell
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

that's probably caused by the new kernel...which causes problems to various applications and hardware on various computers..not everyone is experiencing the same problems (seems to depend on the individual's particular computer's hardware, software, etc)...and that sounds like it was around the time when the new kernel came down to us, i believe)...did you try booting into the previous kernel on start up to see if the problems aren't there? If they aren't, you will know it is caused by the new kernel...

I have other issues myself because of it and am temporarily using the older one until the new one gets fixed...I'm not going to even attempt to try to fix them on my own...
XeroXer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by XeroXer »

craig10x wrote:that's probably caused by the new kernel...which causes problems to various applications and hardware on various computers..not everyone is experiencing the same problems (seems to depend on the individual's particular computer's hardware, software, etc)...and that sounds like it was around the time when the new kernel came down to us, i believe)...did you try booting into the previous kernel on start up to see if the problems aren't there? If they aren't, you will know it is caused by the new kernel...

I have other issues myself because of it and am temporarily using the older one until the new one gets fixed...I'm not going to even attempt to try to fix them on my own...
Just tried your suggestion and booted into 2.6.32-5-amd64 but still no success with the problems, they all still exist.
Maybe it had nothing to do with the upgrade...
From the Gates of Hell
kbkatz1

Post by kbkatz1 »

had the same error today after Kernel update. Followed remove " == " as described and now the Fortunes are back :D
amina

Post by amina »

Some days ago exaile stopped working. Tried to reinstall it and all dependencies, did not help.
Seems to be a known bug: Debian Bug#622282. :(
http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-bugs ... 94884.html
viking777

Post by viking777 »

amina wrote:Some days ago exaile stopped working. Tried to reinstall it and all dependencies, did not help.
Seems to be a known bug: Debian Bug#622282. :(
http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-bugs ... 94884.html
I can confirm that - exactly the same error message. Affects the 32-5 kernel as well.

Some more on this.

On the bug reports I read about it they have declared it 'fixed' in Exaile version 0.3.2.1 (present version 0.3.2.0). Well having just tried the newer version I can safely say they are wrong, at least when it comes to LMDE
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

I was just curious...i did the updates last evening and when booting up this morning, it looks like the problems i was having with the bugs in the new kernel seem to have disappeared (they were: Fan coming on loud and for long periods of time indicating possible overheating, computer occassionally shutting itself off because of that likely overheating and touchpad on laptop acting erratically in it's movement and also bringing up the right click menu when tapping the pad)....I'm aware everyone had different problems depending on their computer/hardware/software, etc...

Did those updates include the fixes/patches for the new kernel? I had read on the debian forums that they were already out and would be coming down...so that is why i was wondering about that... :wink:
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Included in yesterday's updates were
fancontrol (1:3.2.0-1) to 1:3.3.0-1
libgpm2 (1.20.4-3.3) to 1.20.4-3.4
libsensors4 (1:3.2.0-1) to 1:3.3.0-1
lm-sensors (1:3.2.0-1) to 1:3.3.0-1
I can see how yesterdays updates fixed your issues. libgpm2 handles mouse requests so I could see where that may affect the touchpad. The other updates are obvious by there name.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Thanks dawgdoc....although my bad...i thought the problems had resolved that i mentioned, but the fan kicked in and is running on high after about 3 hrs in the "session" and the touchpad is still doing the "sometimes the right click menu pops up when tapping it" as it did before...So, apparently, the problems have to do with the new kernel itself (when i boot into the previous kernel, the problems disappear) so i guess i need to wait for the actual kernel fixes to come down...

Oh well...thought i was in the "clear"...meanwhile i will continue to boot up in the old kernel :roll:
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

So far the only trouble I have noticed with the new kernel is that it will not run the latest drivers for my wireless on my latop. Unfortunately when I installed the new driver package I did an autoclean, which removed the old driver package from /var/cache/apt/archives. Fortunately I still have the old kernel running the old wireless driver. I am not about to update it. (i searched and people in Arch and Ubuntu forums seem to be having the same issue with bcm4311 wireless chipset and broadcom-sta 5.100.82.38
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Checkgmail fails after todays update.

Can't quite figure out what caused it, but I do have the solution, and that is to install

libio-socket-ssl-perl

It was never necessary before but it is now.
asymmetros

Post by asymmetros »

Regarding exaile, i installed the newer 0.3.2.1 version from http://www.exaile.org and now it works again :D
Exaile devs saying that this version fixes a bug that
"prevented Exaile from running on very recent versions of pygobject was fixed".

Updates history tells me that python-gobject was upgraded in my system a few days ago. So, that 's the case.

I do not know if it is safe for someone just to remove python-gobjects packages instead of installing the 0.3.2.1 exaile.
amina

Post by amina »

asymmetros,
did you install from source or installed the Ubuntu version?
viking777

Post by viking777 »

amina wrote:asymmetros,
did you install from source or installed the Ubuntu version?
Amina, I installed the Ubuntu version a few days ago and it didn't work. I installed the source version today and it works again. :)

Return to “LMDE Archive”