LMDE BREAKAGES - (Tracking SID!) -{CLOSED}

Archived topics about LMDE 1
Locked
User avatar
Gerd50
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 734
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:42 pm
Location: Fishtown, Germany

Re: LMDE (Tracking SID, or..) BREAKAGES! - Feb 9

Post by Gerd50 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:32 pm

Good idea Steve :lol:
I believe in everything, except humans.

LM9, Debian Testing Xfce, Debian Sid Xfce - CPU/Amd64 2,6Ghz, Graphics/Nvidia 9600 GT, Sound/SB Audigy4 emu10K1

GeneC
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1599
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:59 pm
Location: Maine, USA

Re: LMDE (Tracking SID, or..) BREAKAGES! - Feb 9

Post by GeneC » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:01 pm

by xircon on Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:30 pm
Got 640 ish updates to install
:shock: :shock:

Image

Well I am mostly back up, cinnamon up and running. I have disabled experimental for the time being.
Going to make a backup every two days (honest!)
SUUUUUURE! :roll: :lol:

GregE
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 472
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:24 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: LMDE (Tracking SID, or..) BREAKAGES! - Feb 9

Post by GregE » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:21 am

Might be just me, but since yesterday's update Samba does not load at boot. I have to wait til the system starts and then run "sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart" and then my system joins the network. It is a bug that has plagued Samba on and off for years. I await the next update.

If you need Samba and it is not working just run the command above as a workaround

:(

EDIT: It is just me. I have installed an SSD as my main drive with an HDD mounted in /home via fstab. All the shares are on the HDD and samba is starting before the drive is mounted.
Last edited by GregE on Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dcihon
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 286
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:15 pm
Location: Florissant, MO USA

Re: LMDE (Tracking SID, or..) BREAKAGES! - Feb 9

Post by dcihon » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:29 am

My result for apt-get dist-upgrade as of 2-15

root@danc-linux-mint:~# apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
cinnamon
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Kernel 3.2.0-3-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit) Distro Linux Mint Xfce Edition
ATI - Tracking - Testing

GregE
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 472
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:24 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: LMDE (Tracking SID, or..) BREAKAGES! - Feb 9

Post by GregE » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:35 am

For those who are interested Multi-Arch is now possible.

If you have a 64bit install just follow the instructions .....

http://blog.mraw.org/2012/02/01/dpkg_with_multiarch/

Amazing what waiting a few weeks makes.

WARNING: Only do this if you are interested in or need multi-arch. It can trash a perfectly good 64bit system. Best approach is to try in a VM first or do a clean install on a spare.

User avatar
Andrew33
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 462
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:58 pm
Location: Maple Heights, Ohio Republic USA
Contact:

Re: LMDE (Tracking SID, or..) BREAKAGES! - Feb 9

Post by Andrew33 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:22 pm

Xiphos 3.1.4 doesn't play well with debian kernel 3.2.1-1 & above....xiphos doesn't run on kernel 3.2.1-1 and above...it starts breifly then quits....can anyone look into this or can the devs looks into it and see what the issue is...it'd be greatly appreciated....cheers


Andrew

User avatar
Gerd50
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 734
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:42 pm
Location: Fishtown, Germany

Re: LMDE (Tracking SID, or..) BREAKAGES! - Feb 9

Post by Gerd50 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:51 pm

I installed xiphos and it works. Except i don't have a key for the module net which must be bought?
What do you get if you run xiphos via terminal?
I believe in everything, except humans.

LM9, Debian Testing Xfce, Debian Sid Xfce - CPU/Amd64 2,6Ghz, Graphics/Nvidia 9600 GT, Sound/SB Audigy4 emu10K1

GregE
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 472
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:24 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: LMDE (Tracking SID, or..) BREAKAGES! - Feb 9

Post by GregE » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:53 pm

andrew5859 wrote:Xiphos 3.1.4 doesn't play well with debian kernel 3.2.1-1 & above....xiphos doesn't run on kernel 3.2.1-1 and above...it starts breifly then quits....can anyone look into this or can the devs looks into it and see what the issue is...it'd be greatly appreciated....cheers
Andrew
The latest kernel in Sid for me is 3.2.0-1AMD64. I installed Xiphos 3.1.4 from the normal Debian repoitories and it started up and ran without crashing. I did not try and configure it or add sources for data. My system uses Intel graphics with normal drivers from Sid.

So, a few questions. What kernel are you using and from where? Did you install Xiphos from the Debian repos or from the Ubuntu debs on the Xiphos site, or via the Xiphos repository? Lastly, open a terminal and start from there and see what error message come up.

EDIT: Gerd50, I hit submit at the same time you did, but we both seem to thinking the same way.

User avatar
Andrew33
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 462
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:58 pm
Location: Maple Heights, Ohio Republic USA
Contact:

Re: LMDE (Tracking SID, or..) BREAKAGES! - Feb 9

Post by Andrew33 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:45 pm

GregE wrote:
andrew5859 wrote:Xiphos 3.1.4 doesn't play well with debian kernel 3.2.1-1 & above....xiphos doesn't run on kernel 3.2.1-1 and above...it starts breifly then quits....can anyone look into this or can the devs looks into it and see what the issue is...it'd be greatly appreciated....cheers
Andrew
The latest kernel in Sid for me is 3.2.0-1AMD64. I installed Xiphos 3.1.4 from the normal Debian repoitories and it started up and ran without crashing. I did not try and configure it or add sources for data. My system uses Intel graphics with normal drivers from Sid.

So, a few questions. What kernel are you using and from where? Did you install Xiphos from the Debian repos or from the Ubuntu debs on the Xiphos site, or via the Xiphos repository? Lastly, open a terminal and start from there and see what error message come up.

EDIT: Gerd50, I hit submit at the same time you did, but we both seem to thinking the same way.

I'm running kernel 3.2.0-1 as you are....image & headers are 3.2.6-1....xiphos isn't running and I grabed it from the debian repositories (Synaptic Package Manager)....just look at my signiture and you can see what I'm running in my laptop....I don't like this new orientation of the desktop, I don't like that they've rearranged everything and you can't adjust anything, you can't minimize the windows like before..... why couldn't they have just left things alone....this is what I get when trying to run xiphos from terminal:

Code: Select all

andrew@lmde:~$ xiphos
** Message: MAINTAINER_MODE
** Message: /usr/share/xiphos/languages
** Message: create main_mgr time is 0.052676
Number of Text modules = 22
Number of Commentary modules = 20
Number of Dict/lex modules = 31
Number of Book modules = 35
Number of Percomm modules = 0
Number of Devotion modules = 6
Number of Prayer modules = 0

** Message: set locale to en_US
Starting xiphos-3.1.4
Building Xiphos interface

** Message: MAINTAINER_MODE
** Message: MAINTAINER_MODE
** Message: /usr/share/xiphos/navbar_versekey.glade
** Message: context_id: 1
message: Welcome to Xiphos
** Message: create main_mgr time is 0.059300
Starting sword-1.6.2
Initiating SWORD
path to sword: /home/andrew/.sword/
SWORD locale is en
Checking for SWORD Modules
Number of Text modules = 22
Number of Commentary modules = 20
Number of Dict/lex modules = 31
Number of Book modules = 35
Number of Percomm modules = 0
Number of Devotion modules = 6
Number of Prayer modules = 0

Initiating Xiphos
** Message: create SWMgr time is 0.119856
** Message: create main_mgr time is 0.054668
Displaying Xiphos
** Message: main_url_handler => sword://ABS_Essay_GoodSam_SWB/0
** Message: url_clean = sword://ABS_Essay_GoodSam_SWB/0
** Message: work_buf: ABS_Essay_GoodSam_SWB, 0
** Message: main_url_handler => sword://ABS_Essay_GoodSam_SWB/0
** Message: url_clean = sword://ABS_Essay_GoodSam_SWB/0
** Message: main_display_book
mod_name: ABS_Essay_GoodSam_SWB
key: 0
** Message: offset: 4

** (xiphos:15472): CRITICAL **: clearlooks_style_draw_box_gap: assertion `height >= -1' failed

** (xiphos:15472): CRITICAL **: clearlooks_style_draw_box_gap: assertion `height >= -1' failed
** Message: on_notebook_main_switch_page

** (xiphos:15472): CRITICAL **: clearlooks_style_draw_box_gap: assertion `height >= -1' failed
** Message: main_display_book
mod_name: ABS_Essay_GoodSam_SWB
key: 0
** Message: offset: 4
Segmentation fault

Anybody got any bright ideas....by the time anyone reads this I probably will have already started to reinstall.....would be nice if some of this stuff was kept up to date to be more compatible

GregE
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 472
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:24 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: LMDE (Tracking SID, or..) BREAKAGES! - Feb 9

Post by GregE » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:52 am

Andrew

Using Sid is always going to cause the occasional issue. It is called Unstable for good reasons. I cannot see any obvious issue from the error popped up, the clearlooks stuff is unlikely to be the cause of the crash.

You can just revert to a 3.1 kernel and wait for the other software to catch up. Much less destructive than a new install. That is the easy approach, unless there is something about 3.2 that is necessary for your system.

Another thing to try is to create a new user called andrew2 and log into that account and see if the software crashes. It will give you the opportunity to test Xiphos without any config or data loaded. If it runs then you will know that the error is coming from somewhere else. If you are lucky then all you may have to do is remove Xiphos and all of it's config and data and then re - install it and reconfigure. It could even be as simple as turning off Xfce4/Mate/Cinnamon desktop effects.

I am running Gnome 3.2 with a bottom toolbar and window switcher and Xiphos ran on my system.

A few things to try. Good luck.

:)

GregE
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 472
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:24 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: LMDE (Tracking SID, or..) BREAKAGES! - Feb 9

Post by GregE » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:01 am

One last thing. From your Tag you are running Mate. Mate is very much in development mode and may never reach the stability of Gnome 2. If I was to look into a crystal ball I might think that Cinnamon has already taken away a lot of interest in Mate as a platform and made it's future uncertain.

Might I also suggest installing Cinnamon from Synaptic and try running Xiphos from a Cinnamon desktop.

User avatar
Andrew33
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 462
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:58 pm
Location: Maple Heights, Ohio Republic USA
Contact:

Re: LMDE (Tracking SID, or..) BREAKAGES! - Feb 9

Post by Andrew33 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:37 am

Good points all....GregE...thank you...I guess I'll stay away from sid for awhile, the other thing you mentioned about cinnamon, they're still fiddling around with it as well....you still can't make any adjustments to the panel bar, like increasing the size of the bar or fonts in the bar, in spite of member requests to fix it

GregE
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 472
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:24 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: LMDE (Tracking SID, or..) BREAKAGES! - Feb 9

Post by GregE » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:02 am

andrew5859 wrote:Good points all....GregE...thank you...I guess I'll stay away from sid for awhile, the other thing you mentioned about cinnamon, they're still fiddling around with it as well....you still can't make any adjustments to the panel bar, like increasing the size of the bar or fonts in the bar, in spite of member requests to fix it
I am actually a very happy Gnome user, however I do play with Cinnamon. New version 1.3.1 seems stable to me, and it is just a shell on top of Gnome 3.2. The Fonts issue can be remedied with a bit of lateral thinking.

Create a folder in your /home/andrew/.themes folder and call it MyTheme. Then inside that folder create a folder called cinnamon. Inside that folder copy the contents of /user/share/cinnamon/theme

Now open /home/andrew/.themes/MyTheme/cinnamon/cinnamon.css with Gedit and search on font. Increase all the 10.5pt entries to 12pt, 9.5 to 11, 8.5 to 10 and so one and then save. Then from Cinnamon settings go to Themes and select MyTheme.

I have found this also vastly improves font rendering in the menus and on the toolbar.

One day the extra configuration bits will appear, in the meantime MyTheme does the job. You can,of course, do this with any theme if you copy it into the .themes folder.

cheers

ps An I correct in thinking the Xiphos problem is solved by reverting to a 3.1 kernel?

User avatar
xircon
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 768
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:59 am
Location: Sheffield, UK

Re: LMDE (Tracking SID, or..) BREAKAGES! - Feb 9

Post by xircon » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:04 am

Andrew

Just installed Xiphos on:

Code: Select all

Linux n5010 3.2.0-7.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64 #1 ZEN SMP PREEMPT Tue Feb 21 17:43:29 CST 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Everything runs fine. I am running cinnamon (the version in the repository). I had a similar problem with pidgin (it would not run for me).

Try installing the debug module, then:

Code: Select all

gdb xiphos
Then at the (gdb) prompt type run and see if it gives any more coherent error messages.

Steve
Dell Inspiron N5010 / Core I5 / ATI Mobility Radeon HD5400, LMDE Tracking Sid & Cinnamon Desktop
"Ubuntu is an African word meaning 'I can't configure Debian'"

User avatar
Andrew33
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 462
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:58 pm
Location: Maple Heights, Ohio Republic USA
Contact:

Re: LMDE (Tracking SID, or..) BREAKAGES! - Feb 9

Post by Andrew33 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:10 pm

it's nice n all, but I have and am running 32bit system, therefore, 64bit doesn't work on a 32......I am however, on cinnamon...had to implement experimental in repos in order to get this...but if I go any further with updates, it'll take me to kernel 3.2.0-1 and I'll lose my xiphos....cheers

Besides, I have found that everything works differently on the amd64 bit OS than it does with the 32 bit intel....on my other machine which is AMD Phenom II 555x Black-Edition 3.2Ghz.....Xiphos works fine on that one and it's 3.2.0-1 kernel ....like I said, it's a different animal

Andrew

GregE
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 472
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:24 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: LMDE (Tracking SID, or..) BREAKAGES! - Feb 9

Post by GregE » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:55 pm

andrew5859 wrote:it's nice n all, but I have and am running 32bit system, therefore, 64bit doesn't work on a 32......I am however, on cinnamon...had to implement experimental in repos in order to get this...but if I go any further with updates, it'll take me to kernel 3.2.0-1 and I'll lose my xiphos....cheers

Besides, I have found that everything works differently on the amd64 bit OS than it does with the 32 bit intel....on my other machine which is AMD Phenom II 555x Black-Edition 3.2Ghz.....Xiphos works fine on that one and it's 3.2.0-1 kernel ....like I said, it's a different animal

Andrew
Andrew, just a suggestion. If things are running then remove experimental from your repos. You could even remove Sid and just sit on Testing/Wheezy. Removing the repos will not remove the packages, just update once the repos are disabled and sit until the newer packages filter down. I never leave experimental open.

User avatar
Gerd50
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 734
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:42 pm
Location: Fishtown, Germany

Re: LMDE (Tracking SID, or..) BREAKAGES! - Feb 9

Post by Gerd50 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:41 pm

Andrew, your system seems to be corrupt. I installed xiphos from the debian repos in Testing and Sid, both 32 bit. It works in
both. What is your output of

Code: Select all

inxi -r
?
I believe in everything, except humans.

LM9, Debian Testing Xfce, Debian Sid Xfce - CPU/Amd64 2,6Ghz, Graphics/Nvidia 9600 GT, Sound/SB Audigy4 emu10K1

Brian49
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:27 pm

Re: LMDE (Tracking SID, or..) BREAKAGES! - Feb 9

Post by Brian49 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:15 am

GregE wrote:For those who are interested Multi-Arch is now possible.
I imported 32-bit Debian into my LMDE 64-bit system. My main aim was to be able to continue running Wine while getting rid of the huge ia32-libs package. But I came up against the fact that the libxml2 package, on which many other packages depend, cannot coexist in 64-bit and 32-bit versions on the same system.

I also tried to set up multiarch using the multistrap package, but couldn't get anywhere as access to the debian-archive-keyring was blocked. I googled for a solution to this but couldn't find one. Ah well.

GregE
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 472
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:24 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: LMDE (Tracking SID, or..) BREAKAGES! - Feb 9

Post by GregE » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:07 am

Brian49 wrote:
GregE wrote:For those who are interested Multi-Arch is now possible.
I imported 32-bit Debian into my LMDE 64-bit system. My main aim was to be able to continue running Wine while getting rid of the huge ia32-libs package. But I came up against the fact that the libxml2 package, on which many other packages depend, cannot coexist in 64-bit and 32-bit versions on the same system.

I also tried to set up multiarch using the multistrap package, but couldn't get anywhere as access to the debian-archive-keyring was blocked. I googled for a solution to this but couldn't find one. Ah well.
Hi Brian, I played with it for a few hours then decided it was not ready for prime time. Once I added 32bit to the architectures, I found the three 32bit apps I use ceased to function. I use the Kobo Desktop, Wine for some old games and 32bit drivers for my Canon MP640. All three were made useless when I added 32bit, which kind of made the whole thing a bit pointless. The issue as I understand it is that the programs I wanted to use have not been written for Multi-arch - they are all third party apps not from the Debian repositories. The guy who maintains the Wine packages has a note at the top of the page saying he is going to go Multu-arch, but has not yet.

Definitely for the pioneers and terminally curious. In the end I have no real use for multi-arch. I now run my Kobo by using the Windows program through Wine (tricking it by setting the Kobo as a floppy disk), Wine itself, and the printer will not last forever. The Kobo is looking more redundant as well as I have an Android Tablet and no longer need a PC to control my eBooks. Once everything is 64bit then multi-arch is moot (for me). I have re-installed my working desktop with Debian Wheezy multi-arch, but without 32bit added and upgraded to Sid, then Mintified it. The future will arrive in it's own good time.

Greg

User avatar
Andrew33
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 462
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:58 pm
Location: Maple Heights, Ohio Republic USA
Contact:

Re: LMDE (Tracking SID, or..) BREAKAGES! - Feb 9

Post by Andrew33 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:28 am

Gerd50 wrote:Andrew, your system seems to be corrupt. I installed xiphos from the debian repos in Testing and Sid, both 32 bit. It works in
both. What is your output of

Code: Select all

inxi -r
?

Hey Gerd:

Just for a short period, I've switched to LM 12 Lisa KDE.....I got xiphos running on it and so far, everything is running fine.....it's been awhile since I ran KDE, seeing how that's what I started with @ LM 9 Helena KDE LTS...about a year or so into that, I started playing with LMDE and got hooked. I wanted to see if the new KDE was all that.....ya know?.....I really like LMDE and will come back to it at some point......right before I went to KDE, LMDE had 302 updates to install, of which it would've taken out xiphos.......cheers


Andrew

Locked

Return to “LMDE 1 Archive”