LMDE BREAKAGES - (Tracking SID!) -{CLOSED}

Archived topics about LMDE 1
karashata
Level 4
Level 4

Re: LMDE (Tracking SID, or..) BREAKAGES! - Mar 22

Post by karashata » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:14 pm

Anyone else running into issues with GNOME updates from experimental recently..? I've had a problem with recent updates to libcogl-common, libcogl-pango0, gir1.2-cogl-1.0 and gir1.2-coglpango-1.0 (version 1.10.0-2) that causes GNOME Shell to constantly crash any time I attempt to load it, whether logging directly into the session or launching it as a replacement in the GNOME Classic session. It looks like those packages can't be updated until the rest of Clutter can be updated, I'm not sure what's holding it back, I do have GTK 3 packages (and dependencies) held back currently since they break my themes (Unico GTK 3 engine doesn't seem to work with the newer GTK 3 libraries or something and my themes depend fairly heavily on Unico), but even unpinning those packages and telling everything to update still doesn't seem to allow Clutter to update...

Just figured I'd share that info for anyone who cares.

EDIT: Should probably add a little info to that: Clutter *can* be updated, somewhat, but it involves removing a bunch of packages that aren't up-to-date yet to the newer version, including the GNOME session and GNOME Shell packages, so it's realistically not upgradable if one wants to keep their system in a usable state...

EDIT #2: Another thing I noticed, libgjs0b and gjs version 1.32.0-1 seem to cause GNOME Shell to fail to launch applications requiring root permissions from the application overview, the password dialog will still appear properly (depending on whether or not you've given Debian permission to save the password and have already previously entered it) but the application will fail to actually launch. Running GNOME Shell from a terminal with that version installed results in this error message:

Code: Select all

JS ERROR: !!!   Exception was: Error: Requiring GjsDBus, version none: Typelib file for namespace 'GjsDBus' (any version) not found
    JS ERROR: !!!     lineNumber = '0'
    JS ERROR: !!!     fileName = '"gjs_throw"'
    JS ERROR: !!!     stack = '"("Requiring GjsDBus, version none: Typelib file for namespace 'GjsDBus' (any version) not found")@gjs_throw:0
@/usr/share/gjs-1.0/overrides/Gio.js:23
"'
    JS ERROR: !!!     message = '"Requiring GjsDBus, version none: Typelib file for namespace 'GjsDBus' (any version) not found"'
Linux Mint user since 2010, fluffy dragon forever!
Registered Linux User #473695

Brian49
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Brian49 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:48 pm

karashata - If you have a look at the "Are you tracking...?" poll-thread on this forum, you will see that only three people say they are tracking Experimental.

For myself, I raid Experimental for updates to specific packages that interest me (such as the Transmission bittorrent client), but wouldn't dream of tracking that repository lock, stock and two smoking barrels.

karashata
Level 4
Level 4

Post by karashata » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:10 pm

Ah... I didn't think to check that...

Either way, though, it can't hurt to mention such observations on the off chance someone else might have the same problems.

GregE
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GregE » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:45 pm

karashata,

I think the time is nigh to turn off experimental. Gnome 3.4 is starting to trickle in and you are going to end up with a hybrid that can only end in tears. I would wait until it is all 3.4 then open up the taps again, or better still sit on Sid and let it come down in it's own good time.

It is up to you, but that is my thinking and I would guess the thinking of most people who frequent this thread.

cheers

gozer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gozer » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:41 am

Ran into this one recently:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=666565

An update to cairo causes menu and button text in LibreOffice to disappear. A workaround is to downgrade cairo to the version in testing.

from post 66:
"Downgrade libcairo2 to version 1.10.2-7"
Debian Testing
g+

craigevil
Level 5
Level 5

Post by craigevil » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:18 am

no issues here using the 3.3 kernel from experimental.the 3.2 version on my laptop was 3.2.13 last I checked.

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk
Debian Sid KDE4.8.4 Kernel 3.4 Thinkpad R40 CPU Pentium M 1.3MHz RAM 2GB ATI Mobility 7500
Debian - "If you can't apt-get something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
Giant Debian sources.list | Debian upgrade script smxi | sysinfo script inxi

karashata
Level 4
Level 4

Post by karashata » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:25 pm

GregE wrote:karashata,

I think the time is nigh to turn off experimental. Gnome 3.4 is starting to trickle in and you are going to end up with a hybrid that can only end in tears. I would wait until it is all 3.4 then open up the taps again, or better still sit on Sid and let it come down in it's own good time.

It is up to you, but that is my thinking and I would guess the thinking of most people who frequent this thread.

cheers
I think you may be right... I do keep regular backups just in case an update comes through that I can't figure out how to fix but I have also gotten quite used to things more or less just working... Debian updates too frequently to be constantly reverting to earlier backups due to bad updates... Eh, I guess I'll turn experimental off for a while and wait it out.

dcihon
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dcihon » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:33 pm

I think I may have found a clue to my problem but what do I do next:

dpkg: error processing linux-image-amd64 (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of linux-image-2.6-amd64:
 linux-image-2.6-amd64 depends on linux-image-amd64; however:
  Package linux-image-amd64 is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing linux-image-2.6-amd64 (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
configured to not write apport reports
                                                                                                                  Errors were encountered while processing:
 linux-image-3.2.0-2-amd64
danc@danc-linux-mint:~$ uname -r
3.2.0-1-amd64

Looks like my system is trying to do something with a linux-image-3.2.0-2-amd64
but I have
3.2.0-1-amd64
Kernel 3.2.0-3-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit) Distro Linux Mint Xfce Edition
ATI - Tracking - Testing

GregE
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GregE » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:38 pm

dcihon wrote: danc@danc-linux-mint:~$ uname -r
3.2.0-1-amd64

Looks like my system is trying to do something with a linux-image-3.2.0-2-amd64
but I have
3.2.0-1-amd64
The current kernel in Sid is 3.2.0-2-amd64. I would use Synaptic to go in and see what is happening and install the newest from there.

colossus75
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LMDE (Tracking SID, or..) BREAKAGES! - Mar 5

Post by colossus75 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:01 pm

GregE wrote:
cooleric1234 wrote:I'm mostly posting this because I'm not sure where to ask. Sorry if this isn't right, please advise me where else to look.

I just updated to sid a few days ago from LMDE (latest -> incoming -> debian testing -> debian sid). With the exception of a few nvidia hiccups I've got everything working except one odd problem. I have a Brother printer attached and I'm using samba as a print server for our windows laptop. I can print everything from windows just fine except for PDF documents. I'm at a total loss. I tried asking in a cups newsgroup but there is virtually no traffic. Anybody experiencing the same problem? Is there someplace else that you all know of that I can ask? I've tried looking at the error logs and everything just seems to fail silently, unless I'm not seeing something. Thanks.
The problem does not make logical sense. If the printer functions with other documents then you would have to suspect that the Windows program you are using to print the pdf is not sending it to the correct place. If you copy the pdf to the LMDE box then can it print from there?
I had something similar happen.. I had not done any LMDE64 updates in about a span of 3-4 weeks..since everything was working smoothly..including the networking/samba side of things. About 2 days ago now, I just did a bunch of the updates over 500+ updates. Now, I learn to my dismay, that I can no longer talk to my LMDE64 box from any machine on my home network. It is also my LMDE64 box that is handling my home network printing and media streaming and network backups. All of that is now non-working. From both my Windows XP box and my Mint Isadora 32bit laptop..my LMDE64 box is unreachable over samba..I had some important docs and such to print..now I have to save to usb thumb drive first then print directly from my LMDE64 system. I do have a clonezilla image I made prior to the updates. Any thoughts on how to fix without having to restore from image? If anyone needs screen shots of let me know what terminal command that is needed and I while get a screen shot. Any thoughts appreciated.
Gigabyte GA-M78SM-S2H
AMD Athlon 64 x2 5000 2.6GHz
4GB OCZ DDR2 800Mhz
500GB Seagate SATA 3.5" 7200.11 [OS/data]
2TB (main data drive xfs)
2TB rsync'd data drive NTFS)
400GB (virtual machine drive xfs)

GregE
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GregE » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:29 pm

colossus75,

I have had issues like this in the past that, in the end, were nothing to do with my setup. For whatever reason it is to do with the order that the network is started and the router itself. I also have two WD Live media players that can block my samba network for no logical reason.

My suggestion is to try and turn everything off. Let the router stay off for a few minutes then restart, then turn on your LMDE machine. Check to see if the LMDE machine can see itself on the network. If that is OK then restart all the other bits. Worth a try before you start restoring images.

dcihon
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dcihon » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:27 am

GregE,

I tried to remove 3.2.0-2 and received the following errors.

Removing linux-image-3.2.0-2-amd64 ...
Examining /etc/kernel/postrm.d .
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/initramfs-tools 3.2.0-2-amd64 /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-2-amd64
update-initramfs: Deleting /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-2-amd64
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/zz-update-grub 3.2.0-2-amd64 /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-2-amd64
Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
Searching for default file ... Generating /boot/grub/default file and setting the default boot entry to 0
entry not specified.
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postrm.d/zz-update-grub exited with return code 1
Failed to process /etc/kernel/postrm.d at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-3.2.0-2-amd64.postrm line 212.
dpkg: error processing linux-image-3.2.0-2-amd64 (--remove):
 subprocess installed post-removal script returned error exit status 1
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:
ATI - Tracking - Testing

dcihon
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dcihon » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:23 pm

Looks like I have a corrupt dkms.conf file.
I don't know how or why this is.
I also don't know what I need to do to fix this.
I am out researching.
I will check in later.
If anyone can help feel free to join the fun.
Thanks
ATI - Tracking - Testing

GeneC
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GeneC » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:08 pm

Dan

The corrupt nvidia dkms seems to be a common error with new kernels now.
I dont have this problem as I use SMXI to install kernels and Nvidia.

BUT, I beleive that if you reinstall Nvidia using

sudo apt-get install nvidia-kernel-dkms nvidia-glx
That might work for you.
I beleive you may also have to re-run (again)
after the re-install (not sure, but won't hurt) :)

sudo nvidia-xconfig

GregE
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GregE » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:17 pm

Dan, If you do have an Nvidia driver loaded then try Gene's solution. Or temporarily remove the nvidia driver until you have fixed the issue.

Other things ... run "uname -a" to identify your running kernel - I think it is still 3.2.0-1, but verify that again.

There is a dummy file that may be causing the dependency issues. There is a package called linux-image-amd64 that is just a meta package that creates a dependency so the newest kernel always triggers an update. Using Synaptic simply remove it to remove the dependency. You can always put it back later. There is a similar file for the matching headers called linux-headers-amd64, so remove that one as well. Again from Synaptic tag all the kernels and headers you are not using and uninstall them. Hopefully Synaptic will do the job or tell you why it cannot.

Another approach is to bypass the lot. Install a Liquorix kernel. Liquorix has just updated to 3.3.0-1.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64. Liquorix kernels have just one matching header package, not two like the debian kernels. Liquorix also has two meta packages to trigger updates. So go here and add the Liquorix repo

http://liquorix.net/

and install the packages linux-headers-liquorix-amd64 and linux-image-liquorix-amd64

You might find that you prefer the Liquorix kernels, so once you are running Liquorix go back into Synaptic and remove all the Debian headers and images.

ps

I am suggesting using Synaptic rather than the command line for a reason. I have always found these kind of issues are more easily resolved from inside Synaptic.

Regulus74
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Regulus74 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:57 am

Sorry for the OT but what are the advantages of Liquorix kernel?
Arch Linux user

Brian49
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Brian49 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:05 am

Regulus74 wrote:Sorry for the OT but what are the advantages of Liquorix kernel?
I've never been able to get a really informative answer to that question. Maybe there is one, but spelling it out appears to be rather difficult.

GeneC
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GeneC » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:44 am

Regulus74 wrote:Sorry for the OT but what are the advantages of Liquorix kernel?
Put simply
Liquorix Kernel
Liquorix is a distro kernel replacement built using the best configuration and kernel sources for desktop, multimedia, and gaming workloads.
Its optimized for desktop use. The argument is the standard Debian kernels are more 'generic' and optimized for server usage. That said for average use, I dont think you will really notice a huge difference.
Another benefit is that fixes and patches come rapidly. This can also be a pain as updates can be almost every week or two.
Current Liquorix kernel is
linux-image-3.3.0-1.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64
I have been running them since installing LMDE Dec 2010, and never had a problem with one.
That doesn't mean that others haven't :wink:

http://liquorix.net/

dcihon
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dcihon » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:31 am

Guys,
I have attempted to try all of your suggestions and still can't get anywhere. Everything I try returns various errors that I don't seem to be able to get rid of.
Everything seems to keep coming back to the same problem.
Here is a screen capture of what is going on when I try to do an update.
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postrm.d/zz-update-grub exited with return code 1
Failed to process /etc/kernel/postrm.d at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-3.2.0-2-amd64.postrm line 212.
dpkg: error processing linux-image-3.2.0-2-amd64 (--remove):
subprocess installed post-removal script returned error exit status 1

Can someone work with me and I will try a command and post the result step by step until we get to the issue.
Here is the result of uname -a at the moment.
Linux danc-linux-mint 3.2.0-1-amd64 #1 SMP Fri Feb 17 05:17:36 UTC 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Thanks to all
ATI - Tracking - Testing

GeneC
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GeneC » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:41 am

Dan

I wont be around much this morning, but I can help a little.

I remember when seeing (and I have seen it once or twice) :lol:

That the problem was ususally a package did not install correctly.
The fix for me was to un-install the package. For you it seems to be with the kernel
The only thing I can think of is to un-install anything (image - headers) to do with that kernel. Of course, you have to be in another kernel (try the old one) to do this.

Also run

sudo apt-get clean
to delete old packages from your apt-cache.

Good Luck. Gotta run.

Return to “LMDE 1 Archive”