[Solved] Basic HDMI help?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Gort

[Solved] Basic HDMI help?

Post by Gort »

Hi All

I am not exactly sure where to start with this one so I will describe my issue. I have a LMDE box that I would like to use HDMI with a HD TV. I hooked it up and everything basically worked (ie sound and video).

The one thing that I noticed is that the font didn't look that great and I also notice that there was a black border around the edges. This mad me think that the native 1080p resolution was not being used. So, I hooked up a blu-ray player and the entire screen is used. Next I used the VGA imput and the entire screen was used again and the fonts were rendered beautifully. So, VGA input will work but I am trying to figure out why the same resolution look bad using HDMI.

In all cases, my HDTV reports that it is in 1080P mode. When using VGA and HDMI out from the computer, my resolution is set to 1920x1080. Does anyone have any ideas why the desktop is slightly small when using HDMI?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
darethehair
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Basic HDMI help?

Post by darethehair »

Sorry I cannot really help you with your problem, but I can mention that on my own LMDE system, the HDMI output fills the screen exactly to the same degree as does the VGA output (I have a Dell monitor that lets me switch between various video inputs). I love HDMI since the display is visibly 'crisper'. :)
There is nothing more dangerous than a bored cat.
Gort

Post by Gort »

Thanks for the reply. That means that there is hope that it will work. It is odd that my screen is not filled. Hopefully, someone will have an idea for what I can look at.
Gort

Post by Gort »

Ok, I did a better job with google and found a lot of people of this problem with the ati drivers. It is "apparently" related to underscanning. I'll try some of the suggestions and report back.
Gort

Post by Gort »

OK. All of the links regarding the "underscanning" issue were for older ati drivers so there is no pint in me posting them. It turns out the solution for me was to open the ATI Catalyst Control Center and move the slider bar for Underscanning. So, the full screen is now used and the fonts look great.

Return to “LMDE Archive”