from gnome to xfce?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Paco
Level 1
Level 1

from gnome to xfce?

Post by Paco »

I'd like to know if someone has migrated from gnome to xfce without reinstalling everything.

I'm trying to do that* but I'm facing some problems, like:

1.- No automount of usb
2.- No reboot or halt buttons available in xfce
3.- Strange behaviour of the xterminal window: after launch it resizes itself to 10 char wide

___
* Installed: xfce4, slim
Unistalled: emerald, compiz, gdm

I've not uninstalled gnome stuff; I want it available until everything s working ok in the xfce side.

is there anyone experienced in this migration?

thanks in advance.

ThistleWeb
Level 5
Level 5

Re: from gnome to xfce?

Post by ThistleWeb »

XFCE should auto mount USB drives at boot, it should also automount them when plugged in. What it maybe won't do is open a file manager window to browse them. Offhand I think you can set the preferred applications to do that when different things are detected.

In Gnome, Nautilus handles that, the prefs for that are in the Nautilus settings. You will have to fight with Nautilus to use it in non-Gnome environments, as the Gnome right click menu comes from Nautilus. It will happily sit over the top of your XFCE menu unless you tame it to act otherwise with the --no-desktop flag. It's not perfect, some actions triggering Nautilus still do it without that flag, and when you kill it, it respawns in the same condition.

There are settings in XFCE for what buttons to include / exclude on the log out menu. By default it may not have the ones you want, it's easily changed.

Different DE's and WM's handle the initial window drawing differently. Some applications can over rule the default size and position to open in specific ways. I like SMplayer (now UMplayer) to open maximized every time, it has a setting to do that. Some will need a flag added to the command that triggers them to open. Try exploring the man pages for the terminal to see the flags it recognizes. A full XFCE environment will default to the xfce4-terminal, which has different flags to say Terminator, or Gnome-Terminal. When you have your flags worked out and tested, you could alter the command behind the shortcut on the menu which isn't always perfect (see Nautilus above), or take the easy way out and create a launcher either on your panel or desktop with that command behind it, and always launch it that way.

I usually have one for Nautilus with the --no-desktop flag; it's just easier. I also reserve the right to rail against Nautilus for forcing this type of behavior. :lol:
Crivens!

lmintnewb
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lmintnewb »

Haven't tried lmde ... only Mint 10.

Remember installing xfce on mint 10 took the installation of 2 packages, xfce meta and xfce goodies. xfce meta package I'm sure is obviously mandatory. The xfce goodies package has a bunch of plugins to xfce. Some of those might add the functionality or features you're wanting. Believe a person can also search for and install those plugins separately ... if they didn't want the whole shebang that xfce goodies package brings in. You'd have to google a bit about the subject. Or could search synaptic for xfce and see what all comes up. Should give you information about what plugins are available for install and what they are supposed to do. Just a thought.

Paco
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Paco »

Thanks for the quick answers.

I've found that launching xfce from gdm instead of slim solves almost all my troubles: I've got automount again and the logout screen buttons for halt and reboot are now enabled...

Maybe slim is not rightly configured or it handles the xsession user permissions in a strange manner...

secipolla
Level 4
Level 4

Post by secipolla »

Paco wrote:Thanks for the quick answers.

I've found that launching xfce from gdm instead of slim solves almost all my troubles: I've got automount again and the logout screen buttons for halt and reboot are now enabled...

Maybe slim is not rightly configured or it handles the xsession user permissions in a strange manner...
I was about to tell you that. SLiM is old and unmaintained. There is a way to make some of those features work, though but it involves some tweaks (there's a thread in forums.debian.net where this has been discussed - if you're interested I may search for you but in my opinion it's better just to stick with gdm).

jeffreyC
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jeffreyC »

If you want to use SLiM you need to pin consolekit to the version in Debian stable, versions newer than 0.4.1-4 do not work with it.

Consolekit broke functionality with other display managers and the consolekit devs say it is up to the display manager devs to fix it
Get Dropbox and an extra 250 mb http://db.tt/wAizqw0

Return to “LMDE Archive”