how/where to ask questions about APT and its tools?

Archived topics about LMDE 1
TomRoche
Level 4
Level 4

how/where to ask questions about APT and its tools?

Post by TomRoche »

I'm a new LMDE user (installed yesterday) using MintUpdate-Debian (used it to get to UP2) and `latest`. However I currently have 888 updates in mu-d, and 69 broken packages (per `aptitude`). I suspect getting out of this hole quickly will require more knowledge of APT and its tools than I currently have, so am wondering, what are good places to ask such questions?

From using desktop ubuntu for a few years (and server ubuntu for longer) I have some experience with `aptitude` (et al) from using non-interactive command-line `aptitude` almost exclusively (i.e., `sudo aptitude <update|full-upgrade|install|remove|purge> ...`) rather than
  • the interactive, character-mode-graphical `aptitude` (i.e., `sudo aptitude`)
  • any of the fully-graphical tools, e.g., synaptic, Ubuntu Software Center
This worked well, because I kept up-to-date and because ubuntu shielded me from massive breakage. (However it did require (more or less) periodic reinstalls, hence my wanting to switch to rolling release.) But doing non-interactive `aptitude` with

Code: Select all

me@it:~$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest testing main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org testing main non-free
is way too scary, though I have managed to get a few things installed (e.g., curl, emacs, rsync, wget). (Big thanks to zerozero for helping me get this far!) So I'm trying to learn the interactive `aptitude` (via its tutorial) and any other tools that might help, but I already have questions. I'm wondering: as an LMDE user, is this forum the best place to ask such questions? Or should I ask in places (e.g., lists, forums, IRC) that specialize in APT? If the latter, what are the best places for a relative newbie to ask questions about APT and related tools?

secipolla
Level 4
Level 4

Re: how/where to ask questions about APT and its tools?

Post by secipolla »

You could try installing the debian-reference package and read the parts not only for apt but also for dpkg which is the basic package tool in Debian (and the one you may need to solve some issues).
'man apt' and 'man dpkg' will help too.

BTW, in case you're interested, there are these new ISOs (testing). Don't know if you prefer to install them instead of updating your system.

zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Post by zerozero »

hi TomRoche,
you got it installed, now if you want to update it you are going to learn a bit :lol:
i use apt (i feel more comfortable with it), but it's up to you really. anyway you should stick with one, apt or aptitude.
for further reading, here
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debia ... 02.en.html
http://qref.sourceforge.net/quick/ch-package.en.html

now, to get you out of that mess :D you need to

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
if you watch the output, you'll notice that half-way though it will break (i believe in the perl update and end with an error, it's time for

sudo apt-get -f install
which lucky will recover from that breakage, and then do again the dist-upgrade.
by then the system should be fully updated 8)

[ bliss of ignorance ]

Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

Not quite fully updated. sgtreamer-plugins will likely fail, too, in which case you will need to:

sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad_0.10.22-3_amd64.deb
(modify is you are using i386 to the correct package version)
Kernel Linux Tex 4.8.13-1-ARCH (64 bit) xfce , burg
Arch
GTX680 4Gb
OSS4
AMD Phenom II X4 (965BE) @ 3.6 Ghz
8Gb RAM

timmythepirate
Level 1
Level 1

Post by timmythepirate »

I would recommend buying a reference book of Linux commands. I bought Linux Phrasebook by Scott Granneman and it really helped me get comfortable with doing things from the command line. And as an added note, I would recommend all new LMDE users learn the command

sudo fsck /dev/sda1
I have had to use that command 4 or 5 times since i strarted using LMDE.

Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

Or better still:

sudo touch /dev/sda/forcefsck
This will cause fsck to run at the next boot. Much safer than trying to force fsck to run on a mounted drive.
Kernel Linux Tex 4.8.13-1-ARCH (64 bit) xfce , burg
Arch
GTX680 4Gb
OSS4
AMD Phenom II X4 (965BE) @ 3.6 Ghz
8Gb RAM

timmythepirate
Level 1
Level 1

Post by timmythepirate »

Roken wrote:Or better still:

sudo touch /dev/sda/forcefsck
This will cause fsck to run at the next boot. Much safer than trying to force fsck to run on a mounted drive.
I'll have to remember that. Thanks for mentioning it. :D

TomRoche
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TomRoche »

zerozero wrote:now, to get you out of that mess :D you need to

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
if you watch the output, you'll notice that half-way though it will break (i believe in the perl update and end with an error, it's time for

sudo apt-get -f install
which lucky will recover from that breakage, and then do again the dist-upgrade.by then the system should be fully updated 8)
Thanks, zerozero, that just about worked! I posted more fully about my experience elsewhere on the forum since
  • there's a lot more detail (notably about libacl1, which wasted much time).
  • this is way OT for this thread.
  • there are still some problems, notably with restart (which you fix below, and I mention in the link above) and hibernation.
but basically I went from

$ uname -rv
2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Thu Nov 25 18:02:11 UTC 2010
to

$ uname -rv
2.6.39-2-amd64 #1 SMP Tue Jul 5 02:51:22 UTC 2011
in one day.
Last edited by TomRoche on Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Post by zerozero »

bringing those iso's up-to-date had a few small annoyances atm (and we skip 2 of them for what i see :oops: )

- i believe that the restart problems you are talking about can be solved with

sudo apt-get remove kexec-tools
- the libacl1 issue is covered here http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=77878 (i don't know if you have it already solved or not, anyway there's the link)
- hibernation is not my area, but i saw some threads in the forum about the subject, i think a search in the LMDE-forum will provide you some good info

[ bliss of ignorance ]

Return to “LMDE 1 Archive”