New Iso

Archived topics about LMDE 1
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

New Iso

Post by Fornhamfred »

I have downloaded the iso and burnt it to DVD. It loads perfectly on my Dell Optiplex 170L Pentium 4 2.8 but will not load in either standard or compatability modes on my other machine which has an AMD Athlon XP 2800 chip. It goes into kernel panic at line 13. I checked the MD5 sum and thats OK. The previous ISO ran perfectly on the AMD machine as a live dvd.

Any suggestions please.

secipolla
Level 4
Level 4

Re: New Iso

Post by secipolla »

Is it the 64-bit ISO?
I think the Athlon supports only 32-bit.

Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

No it is the 32 bit version. I have reburnt the DVD and it will now load in compatability mode but very slowly compared to my other machine.

secipolla
Level 4
Level 4

Post by secipolla »

And does that machine work well with the installed system? You know those Athlons heat up a lot and their heatsink have to be dusted otherwise they start to behave badly.
On the other hand maybe you should tell us the graphic card it uses. It may be more related to that and it may help to troubleshoot this issue.
(note: I haven't tried the ISO myself)

Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

I have not tried to install the new Iso as my other machine is the Linux machine running LMDE. It does seem strange that the January Iso loaded with no problems but the new one will only load in compatability mode. You could be onto something with the video as that machine has a Nvidia Geforce 6200 card whereas the the Linux machine runs intel integrated graphics.

secipolla
Level 4
Level 4

Post by secipolla »

As I said, I didn't try the ISO.
I have a GF6200 too (and an Athlon XP 1700+). I use GNOME 3 in Debian and it runs pretty well (but with the proprietary driver installed with the sgfxi script).
The fact that it booted slowly I suspect hasn't to do with the graphics driver. After it got to the desktop it worked in a proper speed (considering it was in live mode)?
You could select the compatibility mode and hit 'e' to edit the line but only to see which options it sets then you start trying one by one in the normal boot line so you may be able to boot and don't need to set all the compatibility options. Also if it sets the vesa driver, you could try setting the nv driver; if it works it will work better than vesa.
Then if the live-CD works well enough for you to install it it will most probably work even better once installed.
Also doesn't the live-cd have an option to lauch the installer directly? But anyway, it's good to see which compatibility option it may need as you may need it after installed too, I think.

Return to “LMDE 1 Archive”