Mountpoints on second drive

Archived topics about LMDE 1
locksley
Level 1
Level 1

Mountpoints on second drive

Post by locksley » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:55 pm

Hello!
I have an Asus eeePC 901 and I would like to install LMDE Xfce, but my netbook has 2 ssd's: 4gb and 16gb.
In the past I had Linux Mint installed the following way: / (or / and /boot) on the first ssd; /usr and /home on the second ssd.
The problem is that the LMDE installer only lets me choose one drive, sda or sdb. Is there any way I can change this?
Thank you for your time!

bennachie
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Mountpoints on second drive

Post by bennachie » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:26 pm

While my problem is slightly different (I have an internal 80Gb drive that I use for "/" and an external 1TB USB drive for "/home") the end result is the same - frustration. All the other major distros, including Mint Main Edition, deal with this situation effortlessly, and it's the only serious issue I have with LMDE.

DoctorBho
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DoctorBho » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:39 am

I just ran into this while moving from Ubuntu to LMDE, and posted about it on this forum.

Basically, make a copy of /etc/fstab as it is in your old installation (perhaps in your /home, or on a USB stick) and copy it over before leaving the live LMDE but after installing.

Good luck!

ukbrian
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ukbrian » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:54 pm

I would have two partitions on drive one those being / and swap with / including your home folder and then create a sybolic link in fstab for drive two.
The label of my second drive/partition is "500-data" and my fstab entry is.

Code: Select all

LABEL=500-data       /home/me/500-data   ntfs-3g  defaults,uid=1000         0      0
my user name is "me" but be aware that in this example I'm pointing at an NTFS partition that I use for my data on windows as well as Linux. You must also create a folder in your home directory in this case named "500-data".
Sorry I don't have the syntax for a ext link but I would think it would be the same as sda1 just change the UUID or use LABEL instead.

Code: Select all

sudo blkid
will give you the UUID's and LABEL's of your partitions.

if you need more help just ask

bennachie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bennachie » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:37 pm

@ukbrian

Thanks for the advice. I know that I would have that option for storing my normal data. I presume, though I haven't tested the mechanism for such purposes (only for sharing documents, pictures and music), that you could also move all the hidden folders and files in /home/me into the /home/me/data-500 folder, and that would also work reasonably seamlessly. However, the complexity seems to me to be quite out of tune with the general ethos of Mint (even LMDE). This particular quirk of the installer really could and should be fixed as a fairly high priority.

Return to “LMDE 1 Archive”