Deja-Dup?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Christof999
Level 3
Level 3

Deja-Dup?

Post by Christof999 »

Hello,

Wondering why deja-dup is in stable, sid but not testing. Is there anything I can do to install it? Im on mint latest.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
madwoollything

Re: Deja-Dup?

Post by madwoollything »

I too would also like to be able to run Deja-Dup in LMDE from the repos.

Anyone know how to do this?
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

You can enable the unstable (sid) repos to your sources.list temporarely, refresh synaptic and install deja-dup. Don't forget
to disable the repos afterwards and a synaptic refresh again.

Code: Select all

gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
add

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
To disable the source delete the line or comment it out with #
madwoollything

Post by madwoollything »

Gerd50 wrote:You can enable the unstable (sid) repos to your sources.list temporarely, refresh synaptic and install deja-dup. Don't forget
to disable the repos afterwards and a synaptic refresh again.

gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
add

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
To disable the source delete the line or comment it out with #
Thanks .... this is excellent
jan_goyvaerts

Post by jan_goyvaerts »

It works but it pulls a whole *lot* of packages with it.

Isn't there a way to limit this ?
msm

Post by msm »

Followed the instructions and somehow I got Gnome 3.2.1 installed. Have no clue how that happened. It looks good although it comes with a light theme whereas I prefer darker themes.
jan_goyvaerts

Post by jan_goyvaerts »

msm wrote:Followed the instructions and somehow I got Gnome 3.2.1 installed. Have no clue how that happened. It looks good although it comes with a light theme whereas I prefer darker themes.
Confirming this is not a good idea for the Xfce LMDE.

Had to reboot because some characters wouldn't show any more (All small rectangles). After reboot I lost some icons in the menu and the software manager is gone. I hope that's all it did. Luckily I've got a Clonezilla image somewhere.

A pity really. :-(
msm

Post by msm »

jan_goyvaerts wrote:
msm wrote:Followed the instructions and somehow I got Gnome 3.2.1 installed. Have no clue how that happened. It looks good although it comes with a light theme whereas I prefer darker themes.
Confirming this is not a good idea for the Xfce LMDE.

Had to reboot because some characters wouldn't show any more (All small rectangles). After reboot I lost some icons in the menu and the software manager is gone. I hope that's all it did. Luckily I've got a Clonezilla image somewhere.

A pity really. :-(
I was on Gnome 2. Got the weird rectangles as well and had to do a hard stop (holding in the power button). Fired up the PC again and it booted into Gnome 3.2.1 :?
jan_goyvaerts

Post by jan_goyvaerts »

I just had a hint at work to use Areca instead: http://www.areca-backup.org/

It looks very similar to Deja-Dup's features. And the dependencies are limited to Java.

Never used it though... I'll give it a spin tonight.
jan_goyvaerts

Post by jan_goyvaerts »

So far I can see is Deja Dup working pretty well on LMDE/xfce. The only - visible - consequence is that the software center is gone. And so is the icon of the main menu button.

Return to “LMDE Archive”