Archived topics about LMDE 1
Forum rules
LMDE 2 support ends on 1-1-2019
Cysign
Level 1
Level 1

Install PYSDM or alternative

Post by Cysign » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:56 pm

LMDE doesn't know "sudo apt-get install pysdm". How could I add this to the sources? Or is there any other really easy (GUI) way to mount drives permanently?

kelebek333
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Install PYSDM or alternative

Post by kelebek333 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:23 pm

You can install as below. I use it succesfully.

Code: Select all

wget http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/p/pysdm/pysdm_0.4.1-0ubuntu3_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i pysdm_0.4.1-0ubuntu3_all.deb

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:06 am

Or is there any other really easy (GUI) way to mount drives permanently?
Gedit, as in:

gksu gedit /etc/fstab
I prefer the "template" approach to mount partitions automatically at boot. These are the templates for the different type of filetypes:

UUID=DA9056C19056A3B3 /media/WinD ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=000,uid=1000,windows_names 0 0
UUID=C4DB-C1B0 /media/Common vfat defaults,utf8,umask=000,uid=1000 0 2
UUID=e92eaf02-ff61-4db0-9397-35f1aadb98e8 /media/Data ext4 defaults,noatime 0 2
EDIT: Edited this to make it even simpler to use.

All you have to do is:
[1] Find the correct UUID number for your partition by running the following command:

sudo blkid -c /dev/null
[2] Create the mount point. For example:

sudo mkdir /media/WinD
[3] Adjust the template above to the correct UUID and mount point and add it to fstab.
[4] Then run the following command that will test for errors and if there are none mount the partitions without a reboot:

sudo mount -a
Remember PySDM was written a long time ago and was never updated or maintained. The more partitions you have and the more physical drives you have the more problems you will have with all these GUI fstab editors. PySDM doesn't recognize the UUID of a partition for example so it creates fstab entries using the old /dev/sdxy method. /dev/sdxy is no longer considered a reliable way to denote a partition which is why installers have moved to UUID's
Last edited by altair4 on Thu May 23, 2013 12:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

deleted

Post by deleted » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:16 am

gigolo works great as a GUI mounter.

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:32 am

It can be but then you loose the ability to specify the mount point and in the case of a windows filetype the ability to specify the ownership or permissions.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fred » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:52 am

To whom it may concern,

Instead of using buggy, limited GUIs for this chore, why not take a few min. of your time and learn to do it correctly from the CLI. It isn't difficult to learn and you will always be able to set up your system so it mounts the way you want it to. No muss, no fuss.

altair4 has made numerous posts on how to do this correctly. All you have to do is look.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:55 am

Fred !!!

Where the H-E-Double Hockey Stick have you been? I can't remember the last time you posted here. I figured you left Mint for good.

deleted

Post by deleted » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:57 am

@Fred's right... For the most part I use fstab, even for mounting a usb drive, where I want to allow read/write access to my users group, (not just owner).
For "temporary" mounts, I use gvfs-mount (or nautilus)
-Hinto

deleted

Post by deleted » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:05 am

@altair4
Can't you tell from his picture? Fred's been asleep ;)\
-H

kelebek333
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kelebek333 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:38 pm

Cysign wrote:Or is there any other really easy (GUI) way to mount drives permanently?
You can Install mountmanager ( alternative of pysdm) as below. In addition you can mount shared files and images with mm.

sudo apt-get install libqt4-dbus libqt4-xml

wget http://linuxtuner.googlecode.com/files/mountmanager-0.2.6_i386.deb

sudo dpkg -i mountmanager-0.2.6_i386.deb

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:17 am

Mount manager is another utility that is even older that PySDM, has not been updated for some time, and is no longer maintained. It also requires hal which is no longer used in Ubuntu ( although it is there in Debian ). It too suffers from it's inability to recognize partitions by UUID. In addition it's really one of the more ironic pieces of software in the Linux arsenal. It's presented as a utility to allow the new user to automount partitions but it requires quite a bit of knowledge about the meaning, applicability to a given filesystem, and use of the options available in a mount. If a person had that much knowledge he would edit fstab directly with a text editor.

deleted

Post by deleted » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:33 am

I want to add the UUID is very important, at least for USB drives. Otherwise all USB drives would be, in my case read/write users (the group), when all I really want is read/write users(the group) with one particular USB drive.
-Hinto

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:11 am

The reason I keep obsessing about UUID's is that depending on how the BIOS "feels" when you boot it can "flip" devices. sbd can become sda and all of a sudden you can't boot. That's the reason why all the installers have moved to UUID's. It happens mostly on multi-disk machines but it can also happen to a single disk system with many partitions - sda4 becomes sda6 for example. It's not guaranteed to happen if you use the old sdxy name but if it ever happens to you ( as it did with me ) you will begin to harp about it too :wink:

zeddock

Post by zeddock » Thu May 23, 2013 11:28 am

Obsess about UUID's. Obsess about others learning. I understand.

But I think it would be worthy for us to understand that some users are just USERS and do not want to learn yet another thing. A proper GUI will help them achieve their needs, AND, do it correctly underneath.

Is there a GUI that can be used to manage mounting drives in our beloved Linux Mint?

Thanx!

zeddock

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Thu May 23, 2013 12:14 pm

But I think it would be worthy for us to understand that some users are just USERS and do not want to learn yet another thing.
And you're posting that comment in the Linux Mint Debian part of the forum?
But I think it would be worthy for us to understand that some users are just USERS and do not want to learn yet another thing.
Templates don't require the user to understand anything - all it requires is the ability to copy and paste.

I have resolved the mess all of these GUI's have created so I personally can't recommend any of them. They are either out of date, offer far too many choices for the beginning user to choose from, or in some cases just flat out break things.

Side Note: The next time you install Mint or Ubuntu you might want to avail yourself of the option to have the installer add fstab entries for these non-system partitions.

zeddock

Post by zeddock » Thu May 23, 2013 1:43 pm

altair4 wrote:
Templates don't require the user to understand anything - all it requires is the ability to copy and paste.

I have resolved the mess all of these GUI's have created so I personally can't recommend any of them. They are either out of date, offer far too many choices for the beginning user to choose from, or in some cases just flat out break things.

Side Note: The next time you install Mint or Ubuntu you might want to avail yourself of the option to have the installer add fstab entries for these non-system partitions.
Yeah. Why? Wrong place?
don't require the user to understand anything - all it requires is the ability to copy and paste.
Forgive me please.... but you state that as one who knows what to copy and paste in their sleep?

I was just hoping others might consider another point of view. I am not trying to stir trouble.

I am older, and last month I rebuilt my FSTAB. I wrote down what I did and what I used and how I did it.
I decided to look at the beta of Mint 15 upon an HD crash last week.
I installed the OS, setup virtualbox for my Win7 guest.
I even figured out how to set myself as a vbox group user for USB support.

But when I opened the guest, my shared folders did not work. Why?
Because virtualbox does not seem to honor the setting to automount those HD's.
(A simple opening of the drives/partitions in the file manager BEFORE running vbox makes it work, but I went looking, (and came here,) for the right way to automount those drives.)

My point?

I have done it before in the past month, but with everything else I have to do in my daily work and life, I am unsure how to do it even looking at my notes.

If I had a program that was called automounting, or something similar, where I could go and do it and not have to play with it or try to remember it for the next one-off time I needed it, no problem, but thinking I am going to remember how to do this, and then remember again when it happens in the distant future, is a bit more than a regular user is up for. It disconnects from the productive USE of the computer when I have to stop and go through all of that.
It's just a perspective. Granted, I do not understand your templates. Maybe if they had <REPLACE DRIVE UUID HERE> it would make more sense. But to someone not doing it on a regular occasion, I do not want to risk the health of the system in dabling in there.

If I posted in the wrong place, I am sorry.

Hope this was good content for many. I have done a search while taking heed of the warnings of many here and have not found a good GUI option for what is needed. So alas, I may very well have to manual edit FSTAB.

Here are my notes:
FSTAB:
http://www.omaroid.com/fstab-permission ... explained/
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fstab
To mount a drive on startup and give WRITE permissions, I had to add it to FSTAB with :
# This is Jim's entry for the "Extra Space" drive mounting
UUID=b94a5a68-6263-4c18-8fe7-4dd3ce244ee3 /media/EXTRA_SPACE ext4 defaults 0 0

Then, once mounted by reboot, I had to set permissions with:
sudo chmod 777 /media/EXTRA_SPACE
sudo chmod +w /media/EXTRA_SPACE

Hope this helps others.

PS. It should be obvious that I am not God's gift to Linux, but I did not understand this :
Where is that done on the install?

Thanx!

zeddock

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Thu May 23, 2013 2:37 pm

I did not understand this :
Where is that done on the install?
When you boot into the install disk > Install Linux Mint > Installation Type > Something Else

You are presented with a graphical utility that lists all your partitions and basically asks you 3 questions when one of them is selected:

How is it currently formatted?
If it's not currently formated how do you want it formatted?
Where do you want the partition mounted?

It then creates entries for fstab automatically to have them mount at boot.

How does it do this? You guessed it - templates.

zeddock

Post by zeddock » Thu May 23, 2013 4:13 pm

Thank you.

Maybe you could dumb-down templates for me (us) then? But not, if this is the wrong place.

I really would like to know, especially if I can figure it out enough to use it in the future. I can always try to make better notes!

Thanx altair4

zeddock

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Thu May 23, 2013 4:35 pm

I can't make it any simpler than this:
altair4 wrote:
Or is there any other really easy (GUI) way to mount drives permanently?
Gedit, as in:

gksu gedit /etc/fstab
I prefer the "template" approach to mount partitions automatically at boot. These are the templates for the different type of filetypes:

UUID=DA9056C19056A3B3 /media/WinD ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=000,uid=1000,windows_names 0 0
UUID=C4DB-C1B0 /media/Common vfat defaults,utf8,umask=000,uid=1000 0 2
UUID=e92eaf02-ff61-4db0-9397-35f1aadb98e8 /media/Data ext4 defaults,noatime 0 2
EDIT: Edited this to make it even simpler to use.

All you have to do is:
Note: if you mounted this partition manually or by using the File Manager then you need to unmount it first.

[1] Find the correct UUID number for your partition by running the following command:

sudo blkid -c /dev/null
[2] Create the mount point. For example:

sudo mkdir /media/WinD
[3] Adjust the template above to the correct UUID and mount point and add it to fstab.
[4] Then run the following command that will test for errors and if there are none mount the partitions without a reboot:

sudo mount -a
3 steps plus a syntax check at the end so if you made a typo somewhere or forgot to create the mount point it's better to find out before you reboot.

Just a historical note: all I did was use the original HowTo in this forum by the grand master himself who also used a series of templates and updated them for new mount options that are now available ( ntfs ), replaced legacy /dev/sdxy for the recommended UUID way of specifying partitions, removed some redundacy in the use of some options ( vfat ), and removed the gid references since all users are not automatically memebers of gid=46 any longer in Mint. You can find the original HowTo by Fred here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=22093

zeddock

Post by zeddock » Sat May 25, 2013 4:08 pm

How would someone know which one to use? I have no idea of the difference.

It looks like you are saying to just replace the UUID, but which one should be used?

Thanx for taking the time to do this altair4

zeddock

Return to “LMDE 1 Archive”