KDE SC 4.7.2 enters Debian (amd64 and i386)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
zerozero

Re: KDE SC 4.7.2 enters Debian (amd64 and i386)

Post by zerozero »

mockturtl wrote: One tweak that might be important: my /etc/apt/preferences pin-priority for "o=Debian" is 700, instead of the default 500. (history)
Tks for bringing this up:
- i believe that with testing (but definitely with sid) the preferences file has to be changed, there's unpleasant surprises and breakages with the standard pin priority once we move away from latest/incoming
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

Gene, reboot and it may be fine. I always have problems when I logout and then log back in (I thought it could be because I use systemd but it seems it's a kde/kdm problem).
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

zerozero wrote:
mockturtl wrote: One tweak that might be important: my /etc/apt/preferences pin-priority for "o=Debian" is 700, instead of the default 500. (history)
Tks for bringing this up:
- i believe that with testing (but definitely with sid) the preferences file has to be changed, there's unpleasant surprises and breakages with the standard pin priority once we move away from latest/incoming
Thanks or pointing this out. I've done the big upgrade, and I just did another upgrade (sorry, I forgot to snag the update list), and my video seems to be fine. Surprisingly, I'm seeing there are 56 upgrades that want to be applied. Correction: When I fired up my Konsole Widget I got:

Code: Select all

The following packages have been kept back:
  apt apt-utils exiv2 gir1.2-totem-1.0 gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad
  gtk2-engines-murrine imagemagick lib32gcc1 lib32stdc++6 libboo2.0.9-cil
  libgcc1 libgfortran3 libgomp1 libhsqldb-java libmono-corlib2.0-cil
  libmono-data-tds2.0-cil libmono-messaging2.0-cil libmono-posix2.0-cil
  libmono-security2.0-cil libmono-sharpzip2.84-cil libmono-simd2.0-cil
  libmono-sqlite2.0-cil libmono-system-data-linq2.0-cil
  libmono-system-data2.0-cil libmono-system-messaging2.0-cil
  libmono-system-web2.0-cil libmono-system2.0-cil libmono-wcf3.0-cil
  libmono2.0-cil libquadmath0 libstdc++6 libtiff-tools libtotem0 libwine
  libwine-alsa libwine-cms libwine-gl libwine-gphoto2 libwine-ldap
  libwine-print libwine-sane make mono-2.0-gac mono-gac mono-runtime
  perlmagick python-numpy python-software-properties software-properties-gtk
  tcl tcl-dev tcl-doc totem totem-common totem-mozilla totem-plugins
  transmission-common transmission-gtk wine wine-bin xserver-xorg
  xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-input-evdev xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
  xserver-xorg-input-wacom xserver-xorg-video-apm xserver-xorg-video-ark
  xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-chips xserver-xorg-video-cirrus
  xserver-xorg-video-fbdev xserver-xorg-video-i128 xserver-xorg-video-i740
  xserver-xorg-video-intel xserver-xorg-video-mach64 xserver-xorg-video-mga
  xserver-xorg-video-neomagic xserver-xorg-video-openchrome
  xserver-xorg-video-radeon xserver-xorg-video-rendition
  xserver-xorg-video-s3 xserver-xorg-video-s3virge xserver-xorg-video-savage
  xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion xserver-xorg-video-sis
  xserver-xorg-video-sisusb xserver-xorg-video-tdfx
  xserver-xorg-video-trident xserver-xorg-video-tseng
  xserver-xorg-video-vesa xserver-xorg-video-vmware
  xserver-xorg-video-voodoo
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 92 not upgraded.
4 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
The error about not fully installed packages is something I've been getting from VirtualBox every since I installed it last week. I'm not sure what the problem is because I've done everything I can find to do.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

secipolla wrote:Gene, reboot and it may be fine. I always have problems when I logout and then log back in (I thought it could be because I use systemd but it seems it's a kde/kdm problem).
Secipolla
Yes, It does seem to happen only when logout/login, not on re-boot.
Perhaps I will try GDM rather than KDM.

Also:
Just a note on changing apt pinning.
mockturtl wrote:
One tweak that might be important: my /etc/apt/preferences pin-priority for "o=Debian" is 700, instead of the default 500.
If you do this and do a full DU, be aware that debian will upgrade the fine Mint fontconfig and libcairo (Ubuntu patched) files that make LMDE fonts so nice.
You will end up with crappy debian font rendering.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

GeneC wrote:
secipolla wrote:Gene, reboot and it may be fine. I always have problems when I logout and then log back in (I thought it could be because I use systemd but it seems it's a kde/kdm problem).
Just a note on changing apt pinning.
mockturtl wrote:
One tweak that might be important: my /etc/apt/preferences pin-priority for "o=Debian" is 700, instead of the default 500.
If you do this and do a full DU, be aware that debian will upgrade the fine Mint fontconfig and libcairo (Ubuntu patched) files that make LMDE fonts so nice.
You will end up with crappy debian font rendering.
I guess it's a good things I didn't do a DU. Although I have to make a note to change the setting back before I do a DU.

Now I just have to find out why my "f" key has gone stupid since this morning. And it's just the lowercase "f" that is stubborn. Weird.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

hi gang :lol:
about the font rendering and the pin priority, i have to say that i don't see any difference (but ok it's me, i know that some of you do);
that's why this posted by Chris might be interesting
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

zerozero wrote:hi gang :lol:
about the font rendering and the pin priority, i have to say that i don't see any difference (but ok it's me, i know that some of you do);
that's why this posted by Chris might be interesting
Just wait until YOU get to be 110 years old and wear tripple focal lenses like me. :lol:
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

GeneC wrote: Image
:lol: :lol: getting there my friend, getting there :mrgreen:
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

I'm with 4.7.4 upgraded from 4.6.5 with the apt.conf.d/file
The upgrade went fine but I had several little quirks like oxygen-gtk not behaving as expected and virtuoso strangling the CPU so I eventually cleaned all the settings to start from a fresh desktop.
- deleted everything kde related in /tmp and /var/tmp
- deleted everything in ~/.kde (except the kwallet file that had the browser passwords)
- deleted other stuff in .local and .config

This made Nepomuk work smoothly as ever (even in this old PC) and solved all little quirks.

Now one tip that GeneC will like (if he still has his KDE). Since 4.6.5 I had this problem that I couldn't logout that the graphics got all garbled (filled with black everywhere). I suspect it's related to the NVIDIA driver.
I received the solution in the debian-kde mailing list: edit /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc and un-comment
TerminateServer=true
under the [X-*-Core] section.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

secipolla wrote:...............
Now one tip that GeneC will like (if he still has his KDE). Since 4.6.5 I had this problem that I couldn't logout that the graphics got all garbled (filled with black everywhere). I suspect it's related to the NVIDIA driver.
I received the solution in the debian-kde mailing list: edit /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc and un-comment
TerminateServer=true
under the [X-*-Core] section.
Thanks secipolla!
Worked like a charm. :wink:

===========================
Just to go off-topic for a second (but it does have something to do with KDE :P ) and is quite peculiar.
But mostly with clonezilla.

In an attempt to fix the above problem yesterday. I though to add a separate partition dedicated solely to LMDE-SID-KDE 4.6*.
To make life easier. I thought to copy a clone of my new LMDE-XFCE-SID to a new partition(sda7). After figuring out how (a thread by tdockery that I lost track of). I did that successfully. Then booted in the new partition, and upgraded THAT one to KDE. That went well. Now here is the strange part. The old untouched LMDE-XFCE-SID only (sda6) partition ALSO took all the updated KDE upgrades that I had done on the new separate partition. Whatever I changed on one partition changed the other partition with no actions on my part.
Both partitions were TRULY clones of each other.
Lesson learned -- Taking the easy way out is not always the 'easy way'. :lol:
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

I see KDE 4.8 is out but I'm running 4.7.4. Does anyone know how to get KDE 4.8 installed on top of what these instructions get us?
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

No word yet that I see. Someone out there's trying.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Thanks, mockturtl. Things have been crazy on my end so I suspected I may have missed a memo.
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

BostonPeng wrote:Thanks, mockturtl. Things have been crazy on my end so I suspected I may have missed a memo.
Missed? I figured the guys at KDE headquarters had to call you for approval to do a new release :P
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

LOL! I'm not even a part of their planet, although with as much blogging I'm doing about KDE I should probably look into what I'd need to do to join their aggregation.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

KDE 4.7.4 is for some time now in testing (and in LMDE-UP4)
[topic closed]

Return to “LMDE Archive”