Dual boot Mint 10 and LMDE help!

Archived topics about LMDE 1
boysha
Level 3
Level 3

Dual boot Mint 10 and LMDE help!

Post by boysha » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:12 am

Hi,
I was running Linux Mint 10 for a while and am very happy. However, it will come a time when I will have to move forward so I decided to install a LMDE.
I did so but I first unplugged a Hard Drive with Mint 10 and installed LMDE on a different drive. I did that because I was afraid that one or another will take over the boot and then I would have a problem accessing one, probably Mint 10.
Now I need help and instruction for turning both drives and making sure that I can access (boot) one or another by choice. Also, I hope that those two can see each other so that I can use my saved files from Mint 10.
Thank you in advance!

Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Dual boot Mint 10 and LMDE help!

Post by Fornhamfred » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:23 am

Hi

It is not necessary to unplug drives while installing a new version. Yes the new grub will take over if you tell it to install to mbr but it is very simple to reinstall grub on which ever version you want to be the default or you can install startup-manager from the package manager which allows you to set the default startup operating system. When you install say LMDE, grub will find the other operating systems on the computer and list them. You can even have both versions use the same home partition but I would always have a seperate data partition (ntfs) so that any os on the machine can access the same data. I have windows XP, Mint 9, 10, LMDE and PclinuxOS all able to look at the same data but each OS using its own home partition.

lmintnewb
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Dual boot Mint 10 and LMDE help!

Post by lmintnewb » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:41 pm

Plug both drives in ... fire up lmde, open terminal ...

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
There ya go, should pick up and add LM10 for ya. Though you need to leave that OS's ( in your case lmde's) hdd set to boot first in bios too blahblahblah.

2 cents ... Trying to outright share a /home partition between distro's ( even with closely related ones ) is a BAD idea from what I understand and will cause you serious problems. Mounting a shared data partition no problem, shared /home ... wouldn't do it. Am not a gnu/nix guru by any stretch though. Fornhamfred is certainly right about bootloaders being easy enough to reinstall. Personally still prefer grub legacy, but same applies to grub2 (no doubt other bootloaders). I always install whatever's bootloader to that OS's own partition and leave my bootloader of choice in charge. You don't have to let it install to sda(mbr). That way if you don't like it, getting rid of it later w/o having to reinstall your bootloader is no problem. Well just saves some time anyway.

Return to “LMDE 1 Archive”