Square wheels or what to upate ?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
longtom
Level 2
Level 2

Square wheels or what to upate ?

Post by longtom »

Hi,

I've got LMDE xfce edition installed and upgraded according to this.

All is working well, thanks to all involved. However - that was it. No more updates. After reading up and down in this forum and confusing myself in the process I came to the conclusion that this rolling release has square wheels - updating every three months ... or more. While this is how it is and the developer chooses to have it I have read that there is a way to add a few more corners to the wheel and make the updating a more regular occurrence.

Apparently I "pull" something from Debian testing and than my updates will be more regular. Pull? ... :shock:

My questions is:

How could I have a more regular updating LMDE xfce without loosing the goodness of MInt? What do I need to do to achieve that. I know by now that it involves editing the sources.list file - but what exactly do I need to do with that.

My PC is a 2.0Celeron with 1.3meg ram and a 128meg Nvidia card of sorts.

Suggestions will be appreciated.
Regards

longtom

DataMan
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Square wheels or what to upate ?

Post by DataMan »

Are you experiencing a security breach or a bad-performing app that needs to be updated?

If you are merely looking for all of the excitement and breakages from frequent updates, you could install Debian unstable or any flavor of Windows... :lol: .

-DataMan
Linux'd since 2005 Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu ID 15015

longtom
Level 2
Level 2

Post by longtom »

DataMan wrote:Are you experiencing a security breach or a bad-performing app that needs to be updated?

If you are merely looking for all of the excitement and breakages from frequent updates, you could install Debian unstable or any flavor of Windows... :lol: .

-DataMan
Neither. I am looking for a somewhat faster rolling LMDE. There is a difference between that and Windows? Is there? Am I in the wrong forum? :roll:
Regards

longtom

asymmetros
Level 4
Level 4

Post by asymmetros »

Hi longtom.

The sources are always listed in the text file /etc/apt/sources.list
If you want more frequent updates, you can edit it to the following form:

Code: Select all

deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import
deb http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org testing main non-free
That way, you ll have mint repos enabled (so mint tools available) while following debian testing. That was the default sources.list file before the introduction of update packs. I was following for about 10 months with not a single glitch. (the last three months i am following sid instead of testing, no problems so far.

Many users here in the forum are following testing also. See for example that thread http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=198&t=67502

You are welcome for any further question.

PS: @DataMan, comparing frequent updates with windows is FUD.
Sid Mint Xfce -32, Openbox, KDE, Enlightenment, Liquorix Kernel
HP Compaq Presario cq71, Intel Core 2 Duo T4400 @ 2.2 GHz, 3 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 103M

Inkit
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Inkit »

You can try checking this one. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=187&t=76556 Zerozero has given a very good explanation about what each of the three options are.

DataMan
Level 6
Level 6

Post by DataMan »

PS: @DataMan, comparing frequent updates with windows is FUD.
It was a cumulative tongue-in-cheek :lol:

-DataMan
Linux'd since 2005 Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu ID 15015

asymmetros
Level 4
Level 4

Post by asymmetros »

Nice dog in the avatar, by the way :)
Sid Mint Xfce -32, Openbox, KDE, Enlightenment, Liquorix Kernel
HP Compaq Presario cq71, Intel Core 2 Duo T4400 @ 2.2 GHz, 3 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 103M

ej64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ej64 »

DataMan wrote:If you are merely looking for all of the excitement and breakages from frequent updates, you could install Debian unstable or any flavor of Windows... :lol: .
Well, that's somewhat exaggerated ... :wink: but there's definitely some truth in it. (btw: there are trustworthy people who tell you tracking sid is easier than tracking testing)

I'm tracking testing (with Crunchbang XFCE) since a year or so and there have been quite a number of annoyances. Sometimes dependencies doesn't match anymore (and aptitude offers to remove one half of your core system :mrgreen: ), sometimes a package is deprecated and is replaced by another, sometimes things just don't work anymore the way you're used to or start to look ugly (eg. formerly gtk2 based apps) ... but in the end my machine still runs superbly and I won't hesitate to track testing once more.

It's nothing that can't be sorted out, sometimes it's just to wait a week. But you'll surely need some attention and advanced knowledge.

LMDE tries to sort that out and to offer update packages which won't break your system. Of course you need some manpower and time to prepare and test these packages, so no wonder it's rolling more like a cube but a ball.

It's up to you, if you're the in-depth and/or adventurous type of guy then track testing. If you're more after a stable and (hopefully) hassle-free system then stay with the latest repos.
Thinkpad X220 with Samsung SSD running Xubuntu 13.04
I'm getting old gladly -- I don't like to die young ...

secipolla
Level 4
Level 4

Post by secipolla »

I imagine this situation occurred mainly because of the GNOME transition. So the Xfce edition users were somewhat sacrificed for that. But all-in-all the concept of a safe-rolling edition is valid and, IMO, still being applied even considering this situation LMDE users are facing now.
I would think that as long as the Debian editions aren't dropped (and probably there wouldn't be a reason for that as the reason they were created in the first place is still there) their update system tend to be perfected and with time people will understand what it's meant to be: a stable system, with regular updates, that doesn't need to be reinstalled periodically.

Arran
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Arran »

Hi Longtom

What does it matter, if you have good applications running on your machine to wait for a few month until LMDE is working as it is intended? All Developers at Mint are unfortunately fully occupied due to the shit Gnome 3, Unity and other developments have made. Look at all the questions for LM12, it seems, not much works really well. So, we LMDE-Users have reluctantly to show some patience and wait until the team seems to be ready with the update.

When I order a new Porsche, I have to wait for delivery also some 6 to 8 months, with some special features even 1 to 2 months more. I call this «Charakterbildend» (forming the character). And I do not think it is helpful for LMDE, that there are in this Forum so many similar threads.
Best greetings from Scotlands nicest Holiday Isle
Arran

OS: Mint xfce, Graphic: Nvidia 4800-GS, Monitor: HP ZR30w (2550x1600 px), «Broadband» Ø 50kib/sec!!!

longtom
Level 2
Level 2

Post by longtom »

Thank you for all your input and opinions!

I will do a backup of my data and have a go at testing as described above and see how it goes. Only one way to find out ...
Regards

longtom

Return to “LMDE Archive”