need to install LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1
poision
Level 3
Level 3

need to install LMDE

Post by poision » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:34 am

Dear All,

please tell me which version of LMDE i should install?i am using MINT 12 currently but i would love to try LMDE but not sure which one to install n what is update packs? is there direct link for installing with latest update pack?

please guide

toad
Level 1
Level 1

Re: need to install LMDE

Post by toad » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:00 am

Hi,

I hope you are aware that LMDE follows the rolling relase model and that as such there are no different versions. I suggest googling "rolling release distro" in case this doesn't answer your question fully.

HTH
never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

Lippy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Lippy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:27 am

LMDE currently comes in two flavours: Gnome and Xfce. As toad mentioned, it is a rolling release, so there is no fixed version. Just download the latest ISO which is currently the 201109 build.

LMDE is based on Debian Testing. The Testing branch works a little like a development branch. You will get both bugfixes and feature updates continuously, hence the concept of a 'rolling release'. This is where Update Packs come in. Update Packs are basically snapshots of the Testing branch taken every once in a while. That way, instead of receiving updates daily, you get it all in one lump package with each Update Pack. The advantage of that is that Update Packs are tested by the Mint community before they are made live. This means you can safely update to the next Update Pack with a heads up on what might break and how to circumvent those problems. You shouldn't have to worry about this too much, as LMDE is configured to use these Update Packs by default. There should be an Update Pack Info button in the Update Manager that will inform you of any potential hiccups with newer Update Packs.

Also, be aware that the latest ISO of LMDE is still based on Update Pack 2. Before you perform any updates, you will need to change your Security and Multimedia repositories. Read this thread on how to do that.

Have fun! :)
LMDE (tracking Testing) with Cinnamon; Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 (using Nouveau)

roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:01 am

Hi

As I bought a new computer some weeks ago, I also have to install LMDE. I installed first LM12 because I wanted to try Cinnamon. Now, I plan to use again LMDE. However, I will not install the current iso, dating back from last september as you have been told. I find too cumbersome to go through all the needed updates.

I think sometime in March, once the UP4 will have landed in the "latest" repository, we will very probably have a new respin of the ISO. This will be the best time to install LMDE. At least for me. So, for the time being, I am just waiting.

poision
Level 3
Level 3

Post by poision » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:47 am

Hi Lippy,
Thanks for valuable tons of information.well now I am ready to install LMDE. But can you please clear my final doubt before I start installing LMDE?

What is differnce between LMDE and regular mint release except from debian base and ubuntu based?
Can I get all those features and technologies of regular mint release?
Is LMDE for developers or home users can also use it?

Mike54
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mike54 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:42 am

Hi poision. I'm not Lippy, but maybe I can give you some helpful insight.
poision wrote: What is differnce between LMDE and regular mint release except from debian base and ubuntu based?
For the average user, that is about the only real difference. Yes, there are lots of diffferences under the hood, but for the average home user, they are largely unnoticed. I have found Mint 12 to be steady as a rock, but so is my LMDE install.
I have three machines running Mint 12 Lisa and a fourth machine has been running LMDE since its first release. Operating system features and functionality are the same on all four machines.
I've been using LMDE since September 2010 and I really like it. I use my computers every day in my work, but I can also be considered a home user. I prefer to think of myself as a person who uses Linux because Linux works for me, rather than my having to work on Linux. I admire those who are always tweaking their systems, because I simply do not have that level of know-how. And LMDE runs just fine on my machine, without me having to fuss with it at all. I know there are people who are grumpy at not receiving LMDE Update Packs as often as they would like, but I just can't make myself be grumpy, when I think about how well LMDE has performed for me. Am I looking forward to updating that machine and running Cinnamon on it? Absolutely! But I am not so anxious I cannot wait for the update to be proven stable.

squeezy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by squeezy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:24 pm

Mike54 wrote:Am I looking forward to updating that machine and running Cinnamon on it? Absolutely! But I am not so anxious I cannot wait for the update to be proven stable.
Exactly so. This is the entire reasoning behind the Update Pack system and is what makes LMDE easy and safe to use. I am not a developer by any means but I run LMDE exclusively. I far prefer its speed and response, even on my very old system, over the Unbuntu-based versions.

poision
Level 3
Level 3

Post by poision » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:51 pm

roger64 wrote:Hi

As I bought a new computer some weeks ago, I also have to install LMDE. I installed first LM12 because I wanted to try Cinnamon. Now, I plan to use again LMDE. However, I will not install the current iso, dating back from last september as you have been told. I find too cumbersome to go through all the needed updates.

I think sometime in March, once the UP4 will have landed in the "latest" repository, we will very probably have a new respin of the ISO. This will be the best time to install LMDE. At least for me. So, for the time being, I am just waiting.
well roger so we will get new iso for download or just we will need to update repositories?

poision
Level 3
Level 3

Post by poision » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:00 pm

Mike54 wrote:Hi poision. I'm not Lippy, but maybe I can give you some helpful insight.
poision wrote: What is differnce between LMDE and regular mint release except from debian base and ubuntu based?
For the average user, that is about the only real difference. Yes, there are lots of diffferences under the hood, but for the average home user, they are largely unnoticed. I have found Mint 12 to be steady as a rock, but so is my LMDE install.
I have three machines running Mint 12 Lisa and a fourth machine has been running LMDE since its first release. Operating system features and functionality are the same on all four machines.
I've been using LMDE since September 2010 and I really like it. I use my computers every day in my work, but I can also be considered a home user. I prefer to think of myself as a person who uses Linux because Linux works for me, rather than my having to work on Linux. I admire those who are always tweaking their systems, because I simply do not have that level of know-how. And LMDE runs just fine on my machine, without me having to fuss with it at all. I know there are people who are grumpy at not receiving LMDE Update Packs as often as they would like, but I just can't make myself be grumpy, when I think about how well LMDE has performed for me. Am I looking forward to updating that machine and running Cinnamon on it? Absolutely! But I am not so anxious I cannot wait for the update to be proven stable.
hello Mike

thanks for info. cinnamon is nice and i think i should also wait for stable update then i will install LMDE.

whirly
Level 2
Level 2

Post by whirly » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:33 pm

two weeks could easily become two months for a hundred different reasons.
really
get the lastest iso
get used to it. then,
update it to up3 and beware the gstreamer thingy and the sources change thingy
then you'll have figured it out
then up4 will be down to user level, and it will update easily
then you'll be fully updated and using the greatest distro. lmde
why wait? one disc is no easier--or harder--due to the rolling nature of the distro (that's the fun)
up3 had isues because no one read the instructions. up4 has been trouble free for me, but it's up to five pages of questions, so still, read the directions
when a respin comes out you don't need it because you already have everything that's in it
only difference i've found between ubuntu and lmde is jockey

poision
Level 3
Level 3

Post by poision » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:44 pm

whirly wrote:two weeks could easily become two months for a hundred different reasons.
really
get the lastest iso
get used to it. then,
update it to up3 and beware the gstreamer thingy and the sources change thingy
then you'll have figured it out
then up4 will be down to user level, and it will update easily
then you'll be fully updated and using the greatest distro. lmde
why wait? one disc is no easier--or harder--due to the rolling nature of the distro (that's the fun)
up3 had isues because no one read the instructions. up4 has been trouble free for me, but it's up to five pages of questions, so still, read the directions
when a respin comes out you don't need it because you already have everything that's in it
only difference i've found between ubuntu and lmde is jockey
That's nice idea as well .. I have just completed download final term does updates will affect dual boot?any special intruction for dual boot? My dvd is ready for installation now.

whirly
Level 2
Level 2

Post by whirly » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:53 am

I found this posting from a year ago
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 63#p364534
it's got pictures

but this one is video
http://blip.tv/file/4777028
and he talks scottish

i think their partitioning is wrong though.
properly it's 2g boot
6g swap-- swap is usually 1.5 times your available ram but there's a new package (dphys) which does it for you so this is no longer relevant
20 and 20 for / and home more is ok but with less you could use it all up
i think
you can also make it ignore everything a just use one partition

there's like 50 youtubes if you need more info

updates only affect the os that updated not the others if grub is right the first time it won''t screw up

good luck
go slow there's lots of time for updating
it's wise to check the forums before you do anything major

Return to “LMDE 1 Archive”