firewall problem on local network?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
DougB
Level 3
Level 3

firewall problem on local network?

Post by DougB »

I have several machines running LMDE Update Pack 3 on a local ethernet network connected through a router with fixed IP addresses.
Recently I added a laptop. I can ping between any of the machines, ssh and rsync from the laptop to the others; but when I try to ssh from any of them to the laptop I get the error:

Code: Select all

ssh: connect to host <laptop hostname> port 22: Connection refused.
Firewall is all greyed out (Enabled, Incoming - Deny, Outgoing - Deny)

What do I do to enable ssh and rsync'ing for other PCs to the laptop?

Doug
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: firewall problem on local network?

Post by xenopeek »

Moved here by moderator
mathew_nicholls

Post by mathew_nicholls »

I have the same problem. I cant even SSH to the loopback
Inkit

Post by Inkit »

It looks to me like your laptops firewall is refusing the connection. You have to set up a rule to allow connections from the host machine.
I don't use the native ufw firewall, but use firestarter and all you do is try to ssh to the laptop from the host. Firestarter blocks it and throws up an error in events. Just right click on the ip address that is blocked (it will be the host machines so you can cross verify) and choose allow connections from host. The next time you ssh, you should be able to connect.
Since firestarter is just a gui front end for iptables I am assuming that the process is the same for ufw too. It's just that I'm not familiar with it so I don't know.

Return to “LMDE Archive”