Is there a way of copying update files?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
jlsail

Is there a way of copying update files?

Post by jlsail »

Hi
I am sitting in a boat in Laspalmas marina with very slow wifi, and have managed to finally upgrade my LMDE to pack 3. Now to my question, is the files stored some were so I can copy them to do updates on two other computers running fresh installed LMDE?

regards
Johan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Inkit

Re: Is there a way of copying update files?

Post by Inkit »

Yes, when you run the updates the packages will be stored in /var/cache/apt/archives. I'm not sure if these will be deleted when you restart although it seems likely.
Another thing you can do is run apt-get -d updates from the terminal. This will download the updates but will not update your system. (I've never used this before, and since my system is up to date, I have no way of verifying. I'm going off the man pages here, so I would be grateful if anyone can either correct me if I'm wrong or verify if I am.)
You can now copy the updates to all your other systems, and run apt-get install in all of them. This will install the updates.
jlsail

Post by jlsail »

Hi
Thank you very much! the files were still in /var/cache/apt/archives, just to copy to the other computer run mint update and my system is up to date. 30 minutes instead of 2 days!

johan
Inkit

Post by Inkit »

No problem man. Glad to have been of some use.

Return to “LMDE Archive”