XFCE default view?

Archived topics about LMDE 1
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

XFCE default view?

Post by NiksaVel » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:12 pm

Hey guys,

Just installed the XFCE 64 LMDE and the first thing that I find strange when I log in to the new install is that the comp pops a window and asks me wether I want a default view or a blank panel... default view defaults to the default XFCE settings...

What I really want is the mint XFCE panel style that I saw on the live CD... any ideas whats up here?

Tried deleting every hidden dir and file in my home directory, but again it asks me the same question....
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem

widget
Level 3
Level 3

Re: XFCE default view?

Post by widget » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:36 pm

NiksaVel wrote:Hey guys,

Just installed the XFCE 64 LMDE and the first thing that I find strange when I log in to the new install is that the comp pops a window and asks me wether I want a default view or a blank panel... default view defaults to the default XFCE settings...

What I really want is the mint XFCE panel style that I saw on the live CD... any ideas whats up here?

Tried deleting every hidden dir and file in my home directory, but again it asks me the same question....
You wanted the defaut view which would be the way it was set for the install.

After removing the hidden files that is gone. You may get them back if you reboot.

Just take the default view afterr the reboot and see what happens.
Dell XPS 420 Core2 Quad Q 6600, audigy5.1, Radeon HD 6450 - currently 4 320Gb HDD, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian testing for daily use, Debian Sid for fun.

NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:38 pm

I thought it was enough just to restart X... I'll try reboot.

But at FIRST, initial boot - I was greeted with the ugly default XFCE layout

Nah... tried reboot, no change.

I get the mint wallpaper, but the panel layout is the default XFCE style, same as icons, colors and stuff...
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem

Inkit
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Inkit » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:02 pm

You wont be able to get the same panel as in your gnome install in xfce because xfce is a different window manager. What you can do though is to install xfapplet from the repos. This applet allows you to slot in gnome panel applets in xfce. You will obviously have to download the particular gnome applets that you want too, or you won't have them as an option.
Then all you do is right click on your panel --> panel --> add new items --> xfapplet.
Rightclick on the xfapplet that appears on your panel --> Properties --> choose whichever gnome applet you like.
You will have to use a separate xfapplet for each new applet you want.
You can right click on the particular applet you have installed and move it to any location on your panel. The xfapplet defaults to the right hand corner of the panel. Also you have to move the xfapplet first and then right click to choose the gnome applet you want. Once the gnome applet is installed you cannot move it.
How close you get to the gnome look depends on you. Remember however that some options that you have in gnome may not be there in xfce.

jjaythomas
Level 5
Level 5

Post by jjaythomas » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:53 am

UP4??
if you never change the source list I believe you get a newer version of the panel/wm, and will be asked if want new default (UP3 configurations won't be impemented their yet.

did you try going directly to testing repos (UP4) , most of the mint configurations won't be configured right till it hit the incoming repos and a new DVD install spin is made. (mine didn't)

If you go from a updated UP3 system to testing a UP4 I believe your default panel will keep the Mint look or however you changed it.(mine did when tried this way)

:idea: P.S. **REMEBER** To get the current UP3 repo's (Will need to change source list per install instructions (they went to the 'pack style rolling updates' after DVD final spin was made(acually between RC and Final)) otherwise you get Debian upstream new version (no mint config if updated that way) :oops:

If you keep the source list as is (pointing Debian testing) you will slowly become a pure Debian testing sys (will keep codecs, apps ect...) but will lose Mint configurations and customizations). :wink:

J.Jay

Return to “LMDE 1 Archive”