Cannot see USB device with Win 10 in VM w/virtualbox

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bobmct
Level 2
Level 2

Cannot see USB device with Win 10 in VM w/virtualbox

Post by bobmct »

I have a Garmin Nuvi device which requires updating. Unfortunately Garmin's software is Windows only. So I have Win 10 installed in a Virtualbox VM.
Unfortunately the Mint 18.3 host grabs the USB first.
I've been searching and trying for several hours now trying to figure out how to make the USB available to Windows. I'm coming up dry.
Can someone please either point me to information on the solution or provide some simple instructions?
Any suggestions appreciated. :?: :?: :?:

btw - for many moons I've been a *nix only user/developer but must use Windows for idiot vendors without vision.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ajgringo619

Re: Cannot see USB device with Win 10 in VM w/virtualbox

Post by ajgringo619 »

First, make sure that your user is in the vboxusers group.
Second, install VirtualBox Guest Additions on the VM.

You should be able to attach any USB device to your VM now. On my Windows 7 VM, I get these choices:
Screenshot_2018-12-09_14-35-12.jpg
bobmct
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bobmct »

Thanks for the quick reply Douglas,
FYI - yes to both already. Another issue is that the normal device icon bar that usually sits beneath the Windows task bar is missing. I know from there one can select various devices. So, I guess I'll keep researching.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

bobmct wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:34 pm Thanks for the quick reply Douglas,
FYI - yes to both already. Another issue is that the normal device icon bar that usually sits beneath the Windows task bar is missing. I know from there one can select various devices. So, I guess I'll keep researching.
Go to Settings --> User Interface. Check the box next to the picture of the icon bar.

Return to “Virtual Machines”