Running Full Android System on Linux (Solved)

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
theeyan
Level 4
Level 4

Running Full Android System on Linux (Solved)

Post by theeyan »

I need a way to run "several android systems" in Linux Mint for a test. I need to make full accounts, be able to access the Google Play store. Can this be achieved? If yes, how? Any help would be much appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ajgringo619

Re: Running Full Android System on Linux

Post by ajgringo619 »

You can run Android x86 - https://www.android-x86.org/ - in multiple VMs. Or, if you're a developer, you could create virtual Android devices with Android Studio - https://developer.android.com/studio.

Be prepared to need a lot of disk space.
theeyan
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Running Full Android System on Linux (Solved)

Post by theeyan »

Thank you! I'll be sure to check it out! :-)
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

I wish you the best of luck with your attempt, but I will warn you that even though I managed to get Android-x86 9.0rc installed as a virtual OS in Virtualbox, I never managed to get anything installed on it from the Google-Play repository of apps or games and the normal working of the system was so patchy and uncertain that I gave up quite quickly.

I normally use KVM/QEMU for VMs now, not Virtualbox but could not get Android to install using that hypervisor the last time I tried, though it was a long time ago. I will try again to see if anything has improved.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

It's really a shame that Bluestacks doesn't run on Linux. It's by far the best Android emulator I've ever used.
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

A follow up to my post earlier but unfortunately just to say again that in spite of getting Android-x86 9.0rc1 to install in KVM/QEMU I can still not do anything with it. I managed to get a network and sign in to google but could not manage to add any apps or games, nor could I get Chrome which was already installed, to update or run.

As I do not need this VM for any purpose that is of importance to me I have again deleted the VM; no point having it if it won't run properly or allow me to use it.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

@ajgreeny, you weren't kidding! I used to run this all the time a few years ago; tried (3) different ISOs, all refused to boot after installation. At least the Android Studio images still work (just gotta pick a phone that has Google Play, or install F-Droid).
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

Here's a view of my virtual phone via Android Studio:
android-phone.jpg
TD15

Post by TD15 »

theeyan wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:47 am I need a way to run "several android systems" in Linux Mint for a test. I need to make full accounts, be able to access the Google Play store. Can this be achieved? If yes, how? Any help would be much appreciated.
Try this out:
https://linuxhint.com/android_qemu_play_3d_games_linux/
It works well for me.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

Another option that I totally forgot about was running BlueStacks in a Windows VM. I'm doing this with VMware - speeds are solid, stability is great; better by far than Android x86.

Return to “Virtual Machines”