Before you post please read how to get help
AnnieSixgun
Level 1
Level 1

Run a Win10 App on Guest machine from a LM20 Host icon

Post by AnnieSixgun »

I would like to know
HOW TO Run a Win10 App on a Guest machine from a LM20 Host icon

Is there a way for me to execute a windows program residing on my VB Win10 Guest machine by
clicking on an icon located on my LM20 Host system?

I have a VirtualBox Windows 10 virtual machine, with several windows applications that have no alternative in the Linux world,
and will not run under Wine or Crossover, ie., ABBYY FineReader.

I would like to be able to click on a ABBYY FineReader icon on my LM20 host machine,
and have it ;
1. start VirtualBox , if it is not already running,
2. start the Windows 10 machine,
3. log into Windows, and
4. start ABBYY FineReader.

all the things I now do manually to use my FineReader program...

I hope I explained it well enough for someone to understand and help.
I have been trying all kinds of things I found on the internet and I guess I do not know enough about Linux to get this done

Thanks for helping,
Anne.
Kadaitcha Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Run a Win10 App on Guest machine from a LM20 Host icon

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

AnnieSixgun wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:06 am
I do not know enough about Linux to get this done
https://alternativeto.net/software/auto ... form=linux

You can use one of those applications to set up a complete set of clicks/drags/tab key/bring to front macros in Linux.

That's the only way it will work.
[*] All kadaitcha men are liars
Reddog1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Reddog1 »

I usually have at least one VM loaded at all times. The way I see it, that is what the Machine>Pause is for (to free up the vm's cpu and hd, but pause won't free the memory assigned to it). I run for days without booting a vm, except for the first start, and I haven't seen any downside to it.If you frequently have need for Windows only programs start the Windows vm and pause it until you need it. You can return to the 'live' vm with a few mouse clicks and not have to wait for booting, login, etc. I'm embarrassed to admit that I ran vm's for 6 months before I discovered 'Pause'.
JezekiljMonk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JezekiljMonk »

Hello,

In the StartUp Applications you can easily add a line to automatically start a Virtual Machine (like Windows) upon login with certain delay (up to 100 seconds if I am not wrong). I even prefer to start it in headless mode and in VirtualBox settings for particular machine to enable Remote Desktop Access.

For example

Code: Select all

VBoxManage startvm WinServer2016 --type headless
Instead of WinServer2016 you can name your own VM, if you don't like headless mode omit that to.

Then in Remmina I set a remote desktop for my particular VM.

Then you go to your home folder (Win + E) and from there navigate to /.local/share/remmina (click Ctrl + H to switch on and off the hidden files and folders, also available on mouse right-click options). Once you are inside this folder you will see all the Remmina connections and right-click on the one you want to quickly connect to and then click on Add to Favourites.

So now if you need to do something in Windows you just click the Star in the right bottom corner of your Desktop (if it is Cinnamon) usually next to the network icon, with Favorite Files, Folders, Applications and click on the Remmina icon and you will immediately be in your VM. In headless mode you will not even see VirtualBox Application opened, it will be in the background.

The reddog1's note is also great.

You can also automate pausing and resuming VM with a short script file

To pause

VBoxManage controlvm <VM-name> pause
To resume

VBoxManage controlvm <VM-name> resume
Give any name to these two script files, place them where they are easily accessible, make sure you make both of them executable (right-click options, Properties)

So when you log-in first time after boot up your VM will be running in the background after set delay and VM's booting-up time. You can access it any time you like with one click on Favourites and then Remmina icon for desired connection.

If your intentions are not to use it for while, click on the script to pause and then on Execute.

When you again intend to use it click on the other script to Resume and also on Execute.

Before turning off your host Linux machine I would recommend normal shut down of VM from VM itself.

This way actually you don't need any additional software, Remmina comes pre-installed on LinuxMint.
Peter Linu
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Peter Linu »

All of the answers evade that Oracle has provided the solution for you in their easy-to-read manual.
If you go into your Windows Guest and look at the panel, you will see a wheel. (Without asking you to actually read the manual), it provides an ability to switch between host and guest almost instantaneously. Right Ctrl+L. Once it changes to Mint, you will see a faint panel either at the top or bottom of your screen. Touch it. It will open. Navigate to 'opening Win10'. Once done there will be an icon in your panel. Click it to change instantly.
Cinnamon 20.2 Thinkpad T440p: 4 core i7-4712, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2Tb HDD, 256Gb SATA M.2, VirtualBox w Win7
Cinnamon 20.2 Lenovo Y50-70, 4 core i7-4710HQ, 64bit Haswell 3, 1Tb SSD, 16Gb RAM, VirtualBox w Win10
Peter Linu
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Peter Linu »

It is called: 'Seamless Mode.'
Cinnamon 20.2 Thinkpad T440p: 4 core i7-4712, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2Tb HDD, 256Gb SATA M.2, VirtualBox w Win7
Cinnamon 20.2 Lenovo Y50-70, 4 core i7-4710HQ, 64bit Haswell 3, 1Tb SSD, 16Gb RAM, VirtualBox w Win10